Thoughts on Vindicator Squadron with Laser Destroyer arrays?

Aztek

Haven't been able to get a lot of anecdotal experience on how the unit performs. I'm trying to fill my HS slot in my Terror Assault Night Lord list with the best anti-AV14 I can find and landed on the a squadron of 3 Vindicators with Laser Destroyer Arrays. 9 shots twinlinked Ordnance when overcharged, with a 36 inch range at S9 between the 3 at BS4. Sounds good on paper.

Can anyone who fields them tell me how they preform? Or why I shouldn't field them if they don't preform well?

edit- Sorry, this probably should be in Tactica! Can a mod move it please?

Edited by Aztek

I field 3 normal vindies with PotM (12 inch move and still shoot) with squadron command tank. They die fast because they eat tons of shots but on their way to hell they usually make their points back. And they draw fire away frok spartans and LRs

I think it does sound and look pretty cool

I field 3 normal vindies with PotM (12 inch move and still shoot) with squadron command tank. They die fast because they eat tons of shots but on their way to hell they usually make their points back. And they draw fire away frok spartans and LRs

I think it does sound and look pretty cool

Thanks Marshall!

Isn't Power of the Machine Spirit just shoot 1 extra weapon at regular BS? I could be wrong on that. Do you find your target is often within 24 inches for Tank Hunters with the Squadron Command tank?

Thats the point for regular vindis:

I can move 12 and still shoot my pie plate. This gives me 36'' threat range. since the gun only has 24'' range I feel the regular vindi needs it.

Unsure about the laser destroyer and the overcharge ability though.

The Laser destroyer vindicator has to remain static for the overcharge, just like the conversion beamer. And nobody likes static tanks.

Taking POTMs on 2/3 of the tanks in your squadron also allows your single squadron to effectively splitfire and ignore shaken/stunned results. It isn't cheap, but its a good upgrade

i could have sworn the rules for squadrons requires you to purchase the same upgrades for all tanks in your squadron.  

POTMS does give your squadron split fire tho.  but i never use it for that in the case of my Vindicator squadrons.

i always run a squadron of 3 vindicators with demolisher canons and POTMS, extra armour, Dozerblades and a squadron leader.

the tank hunters only works within 24" range, but that's the range of the Demo canon anyways.  the extra armour turns crew stunned into crew shaken and the squadron leader lets you ignore crew shaken on a 4+ so this works well together on a lot of squadrons but POTMS would have kept you shooting anyways.

and dozer blades are just important because the short range and high priority of the vindis means they need to take as direct a route as possible to make their shots before they get shot up.  nothing worse than that dangerous terrain immobilized result you could have avoided for 15points for the whole squadron.

so far my Vindicators have done a fair bit of damage most games, but the main thing is they are a superb distraction.  the enemy really cannot ignore them, they are far to dangerous unmolested.  but it means my squadron of 3 medusas with their squadron leader can last a lot longer, both out of LOS, and further out of proximity than the in your face Vindis. and i have to say that with the Iron Fire ROW a squadron of Medusas in tank hunter range is a scary thing.  in the last 3 games they have blown up a spartan in each game in a single shooting phase each time.  which is of course dumb luck on explodes results, but 3 guaranteed hits with S10 Ordinance, Barrage, Tank hunters gets the pens and that's where you let luck have its opportunity.

anyways. the medusa stuff is not what this is about, just saying how the Vindis make a great distraction. (tho they are just as capable of wrecking things, they just struggle because they arent barrage and therefore the Iron Fire ROW doesnt help with scatter, and they also are useless against the front arch of flareshielded spartans (so you know thats exactly where those spartans are pointed, lol))

and i've written some lists recently where i change a few other things around and i want to bring a squadron of laser destroyer Vindicators.  sure, they lack mobility because they want to stay still to get 3 shots each.  but no tanks will want to be in their field of fire, and if they do, they wont last long.  but on a side note, the laser destroyer vindicators are actually cheaper than the demo cannon versions.  because i dont buy the POTMS and dozer blades because i dont want them moving anyways.  i hope to deploy this version in the near future, so i will let you know how that turns out .

Edited by Canadian_F_H