Can units with FLY assault AIRCRAFT?

Dr_Ruminahui

This came up in the demon forum, and I thought this would be a more appropriate place to get an answer. 

Here's are the relevant quotes:

Demons are especially in a bad place with fliers, what with 9th FLY units no longer able to assault aircraft.  Makes playing the objectives extra crucial.  I think some several minimum strength deepstiking units are mandatory in every demon list now.

Pg 213 says units with FLY can heroically intervene, consolidate and pile in to models with the AIRCRAFT keyword, so I don't see why they can't assualt them.

The rules don't actually permit a unit with FLY to do those things to an AIRCRAFT - they simply require that a FLY unit consider the AIRCRAFT as the closest target for the purpose of those rules (in other words, they have to move towards the AIRCRAFT).

However, the AIRCRAFT rules don't permit anything to end its move in engagement range of an AIRCRAFT, and there is no exception for units with FLY.

So, by RAW FLY units can be forced to move towards an AIRCRAFT, but have no means of actually getting into or engaging in melee with it.

Likely we'll get an FAQ about this at some point, because either the rule cited in the quote above shouldn't have made it into the rulebook, of there are some rules that should have gone in but were missed.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Considering that Stu had mentioned flyers charging aircraft in the rules preview, I agree, it's likely an oversight. Why have FLY models consider aircraft the closest model if they can't interact with them?

I think someone forgot a paragraph somewhere.

The rules on the AIRCRAFT's data sheet say that they can charge or be charged by units with FLY.

Airborne should have been part of the general rules rather than added to each Aircraft's datasheet. Currently, the general rules say that no unit can get within Engagement range of an Aircraft, so even though it is possible, if your unit has the Fly keyword, to declare a charge against a unit with Airborne, it doesn't change the fact you can't get within Engagement range of said target...

My understanding is they can be charged by units that fly. Further to that, I wish I could remember where I saw this in the main rulebook, but for all intents and purposes, if an Aircraft and a unit with Fly are in engagement range, either unit can then leave engagement range and act as normal (IE: Shoot/charge).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's how it works.

The rules on the AIRCRAFT's data sheet say that they can charge or be charged by units with FLY.

Airborne should have been part of the general rules rather than added to each Aircraft's datasheet. Currently, the general rules say that no unit can get within Engagement range of an Aircraft, so even though it is possible, if your unit has the Fly keyword, to declare a charge against a unit with Airborne, it doesn't change the fact you can't get within Engagement range of said target...

The fact that it says it can be charged (which allows you to move into engagment range of a unit) overrules the general rule preventing units from being in engagement range. 

The fact that it says it can be charged (which allows you to move into engagment range of a unit) overrules the general rule preventing units from being in engagement range.
Has Airborne been standardized accross all codice? In C:SM, all it says is it can be declared as a target for a charge, it doesn’t say the unit, even if it has Fly can get in Engagement range...

I know the RAI is obviously very clear, but that shouldn’t be what we’re discussing here...