Bloodlines- Warhammer Crime

caladancid

On the topic dealing with the spoiler

Half way through the book, I think he got kissed by a genestealer, some of the signs are there. I actually think the city might have a genestealer problem considering the insignia of the planet. The curse itself can be subtle going by the codex, of course the book is dealing with crime so they won't go into that.

To go back to a non-spoiler topic

I like how this book plays with the balance between ignorance and the unknown. It makes certain scenes with the book pretty sad in my opinion. I think Bloodlines is worth the purchase. 

Edit:Finished the book, great read. I definitely recommend it!

Dealing with the spoiler topic

yup, it's a genestealer, Brecht, his mate points out he has a contact on the docks that has spotted one in a crate, Zidarov responds that it's a myth but when Brecht pushes it more he cuts the line. The main character before certain events in the novel considers the troubling void trade issue to only be a conspiracy theory when Brecht mentions it, further proving the ignorance of the populace when it comes to the warp wound across the galaxy. Also Zidarov's scar twitches whenever he gets angry or irritable, he makes a spiral hand gesture to an injured colleague and his cult believes the Emperor is a serpent. And the doctor in the end notes the scar he has, he's never seen anything like it before and Zidarov outright tells him he doesn't remember where he even got it. Hell this cult even tried to take his daughter, if his Brecht didn't turn up they would've done so, they even got to her friends. His scar twitches as his Brecht mentions Salvia and asks if Zidarov knows of them, Brecht also points out that the guy who ran the place doesn't even blink either and has money.
Edited by Shinros

Just gonna say that I wish I could dig into the entire discussion already, but things this week went awry. Didn't get my new PC parts til 8pm yesterday and while I was planning to listen to the audiobook while taking the behemoth apart and putting the new stuff in, which I did for a bit, issues with a lack of physical manuals requiring me to use the tablet to look :cuss up a lot, or screws that were too long to properly mount stuff, case shenanigans and basically the whole range of issues you can face on top of extreme heat and stress levels have forced me to give up after half an hour or so. Just wouldn't retain what I just heard properly, and the book is too good to make the mistake of plowing on through. Didn't help that within 10 minutes, my headphones ran out of battery, grrr.

Guess I'll be pulling a double shift of Bloodlines tonight, now that the dust has settled (quite bloody literally!)

I must not read spoiler!

I must not read spoiler!

I must not read spoiler!

I must not read spoiler!

Trust me I regret reading the spoilers on the first page, I normally do so because I've been burned by Black Library books many times. In the case of Bloodlines though? Don't, just don't. 

Having finished it yesterday and in regards to the spoiler

it's very not-definite that he's a cultist. It could be a chaos cult. It could be gsc. It could just be an offshoot/alternative method of worship like we're shown in various other novels. If it is an a genuine offshoot of the imperial cult, there's a chance it might even be tolerated and not deemed heretical lol.

Regardless of the nature of his religion, the main character is still loyal; his issues are with the ministorum, not with worshipping the emperor. He still does his duty and wants to help people and all that.

I will say shinros' statements are compelling, but imo the genestealer line is so memorable because of the lack of 40kisms that I feel like it's more of a red herring than anything.

The book itself is wonderful dystopian sci-fi, on top of being a great book in the 40k setting. It's almost...The best piece of literature done by black library?

Having finished it yesterday and in regards to the spoiler

it's very not-definite that he's a cultist. It could be a chaos cult. It could be gsc. It could just be an offshoot/alternative method of worship like we're shown in various other novels. If it is an a genuine offshoot of the imperial cult, there's a chance it might even be tolerated and not deemed heretical lol.

Regardless of the nature of his religion, the main character is still loyal; his issues are with the ministorum, not with worshipping the emperor. He still does his duty and wants to help people and all that.

I will say shinros' statements are compelling, but imo the genestealer line is so memorable because of the lack of 40kisms that I feel like it's more of a red herring than anything.

The book itself is wonderful dystopian sci-fi, on top of being a great book in the 40k setting. It's almost...The best piece of literature done by black library?

On spoiler

The GSC codex notes in the infected world section that some cults still essentially worship the Emperor himself. The cult itself seems eager to get members and if Zid's own pious daughter felt wrong about them then something is wrong. The interesting point about the novel is that all the things the people consider to be conspiracy are true. While the propoganda are lies. If Zid didn't have the scar and little memory of it I would of leaned on alpha legion. Hell, I could be wrong but the things in the book is causing my GSC sense to tingle.

On the writers? Chris and peter are my favourite authors for that very reason. They both capture the horror and dystopian aspects of 40k.

Edited by Shinros

oh I'm not saying his faith in the emperor disproves the gsc theory, just that if it is gsc or chaos he's not aware. Since that first spoiler says he's a cultist; like ya it's probably subversive, but no he doesn't hate the imperium/emperor/culture/religion. He just doesn't like the church that propogates the religion

oh I'm not saying his faith in the emperor disproves the gsc theory, just that if it is gsc or chaos he's not aware. Since that first spoiler says he's a cultist; like ya it's probably subversive, but no he doesn't hate the imperium/emperor/culture/religion. He just doesn't like the church that propogates the religion

Ah, right then. I agree, but the church itself helps propergate the parts of the Imperium he dislikes, the fact that they want to take his daughter. The religion itself is breaking his family. Also he feels the church and how they worship the Emperor has subverted the true religion and culture of the world. I imagine this will be explored further in the next book. So far the size of the cult is unknown but it might be bigger than we think.And if the church finds out they're going to be in danger.

I’ve been struggling with reading time on this book, just due to the weather turning so good after months of rain, but I’ve managed another few chapters and it’s so good. I really can’t believe after so many BL books this is the first time I can think of when we have seen a normal family setting described so well.

I read the spoiler though and I’m furious at myself, I’ve no idea why I did I never read spoilers. Can’t for the life of me work it out based on what I’ve read though. So I’m telling myself it’s a lie.

Keep feeling this is beating Eisenhorn / Ravenor which is my personal high point.

Edited by Knockagh

Guys, for sure he isn't a cultist.  First off, GSC are my army and it would be impossible to hid from me.  Second (and maybe more grounded in the novel), he talks about how this cult has been there for thousands of years, pre-Imperium even.  I will admit that the city symbol, the wurm eating its own tail, is a GSC symbol, but I think that is a red herring.  That scar on his chest though....

- Also I apologize for tempting many of my fellow fraters into weakness, but in my defense 1) it has facilitated conversation and 2) an unguarded mind is like a fortress with its gate unbarred.

Edited by caladancid

I'd say one of the other remarkable things about the story is how

it manages to both portray the corrupt and vastly dystopian nature of the city and at the same time net the main character a substantial victory at the end of it without compromising this.

it manages to both portray the corrupt and vastly dystopian nature of the city and at the same time net the main character a substantial victory at the end of it without compromising this.

It reads like a Chasm City or Altered Carbon- lite in some ways.  Very 40k still, very much still marketable to a teenager if necessary, but definitely hits those same dystopian notes and does it well.  I have always been a Chris Wraight fan, but this is another level from him.

It reads like a Chasm City or Altered Carbon- lite in some ways.  Very 40k still, very much still marketable to a teenager if necessary, but definitely hits those same dystopian notes and does it well.  I have always been a Chris Wraight fan, but this is another level from him.

I was thinking altered carbon as well, but better. The flash backs honestly took a lot away from that show

I was thinking altered carbon as well, but better. The flash backs honestly took a lot away from that show

Off-topic for a moment- the books are way better than the show (which is still good I thought) although very graphic.

Keep feeling this is beating Eisenhorn / Ravenor which is my personal high point.

I wouldn't go that far... :p

I like Abnett but I’m not a super fan. General writing I’ve always enjoyed Wraight, ADB and a few others over Dan. The reason I liked Eisenhorn and Ravenor so much was due to the books breaking new ground and delving deeper than just military sci-fi into the 40k world. This book seems to do that and some more.

I’ve been struggling with reading time on this book, just due to the weather turning so good after months of rain, but I’ve managed another few chapters and it’s so good. I really can’t believe after so many BL books this is the first time I can think of when we have seen a normal family setting described so well.

I read the spoiler though and I’m furious at myself, I’ve no idea why I did I never read spoilers. Can’t for the life of me work it out based on what I’ve read though. So I’m telling myself it’s a lie.

They will always be my favourites, but this is very different and in a good way.

I’ve always admired Wraight’s ability to take some tiny, plausible strand that filters down from the ‘big movements’ in the canon and turns it into a major plot point.

As the spoilers — I think Wraight has left it purposely ambiguous but it certainly was a golly gee.

A solid entry point for Warhammer Crime, really pleased to have read it.