Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

All Firstborn (AND CHAOS) get additional wounds!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
798 replies to this topic

Spinsanity

Spinsanity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 845 posts

So why not just released all the revised Codices all at once? I mean if you are releasing updated statline across the board, then why not also revise abilites like PotMS across the board, then why not update all the sub-Faction traits at once, then why not...

1. Because they can’t introduce new units in a ‘dex without releasing actual models alongside it, sonif they want to stagger released every week they have to release the codice when the releases come.
2. Because GW upper management still seems to think of its player base as though everyone has one of every single army
3. . It would have invalidated the app’s subscription service’s biggest selling point

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,969 posts

So one serious question, does this mean transports will still be divided between the two elements of the Astartes? I don't think it would but this could be a big deal for flying transports for armies like Death Watch if it were.

That's a big question for me also, if this stuff is accurate
  • Doghouse likes this
banana

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,544 posts

I still don’t understand why they didn’t make all these changes at the start of 9th with a big FAQ for this stuff, rather than bring it out piece meal. They must know what there final play tested version of 9th is, why not bring us straight up to that level instead of slowly drip feeding the changes............

This was not their planned release schedule, I can almost guarantee that. Sometimes you can't slow everything down so it all lines up as they originally intended, and having a pandemic ruin the schedule was not part of the planning process msn-wink.gif

I get that COVID has probably ruined their schedule but that doesn’t mean you can’t do an FAQ as soon as you make the decision to bring forward the 9th release to bring all the rules up to the standard that you want them, why do we have to wait for the first codex’s that potentially haven’t been delayed to get the complete rules for the new edition and updated rules for units that fit this edition.

Going by the logic that it will only change with the codex, if SM tac squads go to 2W the other codex like CSM would have to wait until their codex for the same change, which hopefully they don’t do as that would be super lopsided. So why not make them all 2W with the 9th drop? Along with all the other changes like storm shields weapon profiles and POTMS....

I mean, these are all leaks, not actual announcements. Responding to this will take more time to put together an FAQ, and we still don't know if that is their plan or if they do plan to wait until October. 

All I'm saying is that it's possible the original codex release dates were delayed from their internal roadmap so that building an FAQ for this wasn't even considered necessary until the new 9th edition boxes with the updates in them started getting into people's hands before the codex could. Will we see an FAQ update eventually? Who knows. Is it super disruptive if we don't? I'm not convinced it is. 

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,750 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

Not as Troops with Astartes chainswords and heavy bolt pistols. And especially not if the Codex gives the sergeant melee weapon options.

I think you misunderstand my intent.

The Indomitus boxed set is new and launching a new edition. Whilst it is possible the datasheets within will be intended as out of date only a couple months later, I'm saying I don't believe GW will do that at this point, as everything seems very planned.

Edited by Captain Idaho, 10 August 2020 - 07:20 PM.

I've started up a new YouTube channel! Please support me as I attempt to grow it.

Serious Geeks

~Drakzilla~

~Drakzilla~

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 903 posts
2 wound Firstborn would finally bring marines in line with the fluff, in terms of comparing them to regular humans and even Primaris. The books and lore I've read doesn't seem to portray that vast a difference between a Firstborn and Primaris marine, and making them both 2 wounds would go a long way to making all flavors of marine really feel like how they're depicted in the lore.
  • Roland Durendal, MrZakalwe, RapatoR and 8 others like this

nanosquid

nanosquid

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 169 posts

If this wound increase truly does propagate to variants of chaos marines....

2w plague marines and 3w blightlords. HahahahAHAHAHAHA!

• Drudge Dreadnought, Marshal Loss, Iron Father Ferrum and 7 others like this

Subtleknife

Subtleknife

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 810 posts
I'm more happy that the chaos marines get 2 wounds. I hope they keep the Khorne and Slaanesh dudes to a decent scale when released.

I am not sure about the loyalists. It steps on the toes of primaris. Personally I wish they just get rid of the lot but then I dont have skin in the game so I appreciate people will have different opinions. The termi change is good and should have been done from the start imo. I just hope if loyalists get 2w across the board Primaris can ride in drop pods.
  • Iron Father Ferrum and Aeternus like this

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,767 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
Friendly reminder that space wolf terminators basically have the option to carry a storm shield in 1 hand and any other custom war gear in the other hand

3 wound space wolf terminators are going to be bonkers
  • Doghouse, Drudge Dreadnought, Karhedron and 3 others like this

A digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL-2019

gallery_48988_15465_42927.png

Brokejaw Gutripper

Brokejaw Gutripper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 654 posts
Could be a further gradual blurring of the lines between old marines and primaris, with the end goal being you can use old tactical as new intercessors and so on.

Good news for fans of the originals, no doubt. Good find Ishagu.
  • Roland Durendal, Lord Marshal, LameBeard and 1 other like this

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,184 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
Is it true no more -1 to hit with powerfists and chainfists now ?
  • mrausten likes this
=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,544 posts

Kind of unlikely. After all, some of these weapons don't seem to have anywhere to share their special rules. For instance, flame weapons often get auto-hits, and missiles are often blast, but you wouldn't know that from these condensed datasheets. 

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,132 posts

My guess is thats something for full datasheets, no room for minus one to hit on the simplified/pictorial datasheet

Maschinenpriester

Maschinenpriester

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 385 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

It seems the spicial rules are missing here. The flamer also does not say it is autohit right?

quasistellar

quasistellar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 367 posts

That sounds horrifying! Good thing I own those :P

Bonzi

Bonzi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 750 posts
I think a lot of people are running down the road of wishlisting and are going to be really disappointed by reality. Spinning this information into speculation about other troops and rules is only going to lead to disappointment. Fun to discuss but I hope nobody is jumping the gun or spending money on models based off of the guesswork.
  • Dosjetka and Borgias like this

Xeno

Necrons

Imperium

Astra/Tempestus Militarum - Vostroyans

Blood Angels - Hands of Sacrifice

Traitor Legions

Emperors Children - Making Noise Marines Scream

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

++ CANTOR ARDENS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,083 posts
  • Faction: Forces of the Imperium

They had the intercessor with the MK VII helmet on the codex, might be less farfetched than you think.

Really?  got an image for me?

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,936 posts

unknown.png

A few others have surmised that it's possibly a Heavy Intercessor, given they name-leaked back when the codex was being shown off.
  • Inquisitor Eisenhorn likes this

mkbKIlr.png

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,916 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
I mean, you can already use a Mk7 helm on a Primaris body (I have, Mk3 as well, and I've seen others with other Mks). Jes Goodwin said they did that on purpose.

If you move the raised rainbow plate/ridge above the knee plate, you fundamentally have Mk7 armor with an armored abdomen instead of exposed cabling, an extra vambrace plate on the forearms, and Mk8 ankles.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,588 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

They had the intercessor with the MK VII helmet on the codex, might be less farfetched than you think.

From their reveals. This is also the cover image of the codex.
IQCVD8lQADe7SezV.png

Edited by WrathOfTheLion, 10 August 2020 - 07:52 PM.

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Daynga-Zone

Daynga-Zone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 140 posts
It’ll be interesting to see what their points increase is (assuming they have one). They were already seeing play competitively and now at 3W they’re going to be very strong. Their saves make each wound count for more and being at an odd number of wounds reduces the effectiveness of 2D weapons who had profiles tailor made for taking them down such as overcharged plasma.

Squike

Squike

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 95 posts
Now basic primaris have probably sold real well and their sales flattened off, time to bump old marines to 2W to insight all the new players who have joined and only have primaris to buy old marines to get more sales.
  • Slayer le Boucher, Noserenda, Marshal Loss and 9 others like this

Hellex_The_Thanatar

Hellex_The_Thanatar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,122 posts

This should have been the case from the start and I am a huge proponent of tougher than nails plague marines.

They would need some price bump now that they are that much more survivable.

Blightlords I always thought should have been like 4 or 5 wounds. Those should be essentially mini dreadnoughts. Why is a custodes actually tougher than a blightlords a being blessed by a gawd in the thickness armour of the beefcake.

This is coming from a Custodes player I swear I don't even have plague marines.
  • Putrid Choir likes this

Medicinal Carrots

Medicinal Carrots

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 196 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders

It’ll be interesting to see what their points increase is (assuming they have one). They were already seeing play competitively and now at 3W they’re going to be very strong. Their saves make each wound count for more and being at an odd number of wounds reduces the effectiveness of 2D weapons who had profiles tailor made for taking them down such as overcharged plasma.

Comparing them to Bladeguard, their points are about right for 3W already. If we discount weapon costs, a Bladeguard comes to 25 points with a storm shield (kept to have a closer statline), compared to 23 for a Terminator. That 2 points gets you an extra attack and a better invuln, while losing the ability to teleport. Looking at Assault Terminators, it's 27 point for the body plus shield. Assuming the storm shield change carries over, that's 2 more points and 1 less attack to gain the ability to deep strike, which seems fairly reasonable, but about 1 ppm more than it should be. If the Terminators keep a 3++ shield, it's probably even or 1 point less than it should be, so I'd up the cost of Terminator shields if they stay a 3++.

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,649 posts
  • Faction: Orks!

Two wounds for OG Marines would make a lot of sense with a thread I saw on Twitter, where A D-B was explaining that the whole 'Primaris' thing is transitional, a way to integrate the new scale and unit types into the setting. It's not supposed to be some big cleave in the background, or between the different Marines in a Chapter. They're just Space Marines, and the differences between them are going to be mentioned/reflected less and less as we move away from their initial introduction.

Edited by Lexington, 10 August 2020 - 08:16 PM.

• Marshal Rohr, Verbal Underbelly, Inquisitor Eisenhorn and 11 others like this

gallery_23421_16101_14266.png

aura_enchanted

aura_enchanted

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,838 posts
  • Faction: dark angels

deathwing meta time?

• Fierce Bear likes this

dark angles Skitarii , Forgotten Brotherhood

banners 4 sale by someone else on ebay

puppet shows on me