9th and Forgefiends

awilden

Hi All,

I saw a topic on general daemon engines, but thought i'd start one about Forgefiends specifically.

What do you think of the option to replace the jaws with a ectoplasma cannon? with the new rules on shooting with heavy and shooting in combat (just not blast weapons which the ectoplasma seems to be).

Would it be better to have a balanced Forgefiend and get the jaws with D2 and AP-1 for the 4 attacks, or go full on dakka and try avoid combat at all?

Also, I ordered a Lord Disco (wanted one for a while now, and thought why not), would that suggest go full dakka?

I say go Hades Autocannons and Jaws. Extra range, set damage, and certainly doesn't mind getting in the thick of it. I do see an argument for triple plasma however.

The disco lord I say swings them further into getting in the thick of it. The Disco Lord has to get into combat, otherwise it will not make its points back and wind up being a 200 point paperweight.

Not sure what Legion you run, but if you run IW and hug your Warlord up next to the Forgefiends - if he takes the Daemonsmith (I think) WL trait then daemon engines and cult of destruction units score an additional hit on 6s to hit. Full rule is in Psychic Awakening: Faith and Fury. Has a lot of potential to cause pain.

But as to recommendations, I haven't used Forgefiends yet myself. Personally, I'd favour the idea that if you're gearing it for a shooting role, then kit it out for the max amount of ranged shots by swapping the jaws for plasma. That said, I think the ability to shoot into combat makes an interesting argument for moving it forward aggressively, blasting away at enemies and then running them down into melee. Any chance you could magnetize it to try both options?

Emperor's Children for the legion.

I have been trying to do no magnetizing at this point, when i first got into 40k a long while ago, i was super magnetize everything, and it honestly didnt go too well, and ended up ruining a lot of good models.

I personally (for my irons) run 2 forgefiends. 

One is duel hades with jaws. 

The other is triple-plasma. 

and yes: I run a Discolord with them.

In 9th it feels particulalry apt, if you want to make a full size module around these units you can supplement with a Venomcrawler or Defiler walking nearby as well. Bit more "All in" perhaps, but Engines really feel like they are what we are supposed to be doing this edition, luckily I quite like them. 

Sounds like a good idea, I might order a second forgefiend, and do similar. I already have the venomcrawler from shadowspear set, plus the forgefiends do look really nice, so a 2xhades+jaws, AND a triple-plasma would look 2x as cool as 1 of them :-)

I have always loved them thematically. And this edition really lends itself to us using engines, and I am 100% behind it.