First 9th Ed. List, Combined Arms

The Woodsman

Hi folks, this here is my first list for Guard in 9th, pretty much a spin off of what I was running in 8th. I wasn't too keen when 9th edition detachment rules first dropped, considering the multi-detachment nature of my army, but after some consideration I'm thinking that starting on 7CP isn't all that bad, considering Grand Strategist and the free CP you gain every turn, and once you take into account the fact that each detachment is capable of being efficient without relying too much on CP. The CP I do have will most likely go to Take Cover! and buffing the Wyvern, as well as re-rolls on Damage. If I really need an assured maximum number of shots from a Demolisher Commander, I can always spend the 2CP to do so, but between the new Blast rules and Gunnery Experts, this shouldn't be a firm necessity each turn. As for the Scions, they're very much a suicide bomb, but I feel that between the re-rolls of 1 to hit and re-roll wounds order(s), those 4 Plasma Guns and 4 Meltaguns should delete what they go after, even if they go down in the following turn - the Valkyrie enables them to do this from Turn 1. Anyhow, let me know what you think, cheers. (LC with the Blade is for fun & fluff, my infantry batallion is Tanith, so yeah, Gaunt...)

**Edited list

batallion - 474 (Wilderness Survivors, Disciplined Shooters)

2x CC - 70
LC - 42 (Warlord, Grand Strat., Blade of Conquest)
6x IS, Flamer - 330
CS, Snipers - 32

spearhead - 1055 (Spotter Details, Gunnery Experts)
TC, Demolisher, 2x Heavy Bolters, Lascannon, Augur Array (x2) - 460
LR, Battle Cannon, 2x HB, Lascannon (x2) - 370
Wyvern, Heavy Bolter - 135
Tech-priest - 35
Sentinel, Lascannon (x2) 90

vanguard - 470 (Lambdan Lions)
TP, Plasma Pistol - 45 (Progeny of Conflict)
TP, Plasma Pistol - 45
MTCS, Meltas x4 - 120
MTCS, Plasma x4 - 120
Commissar, plasma - 25
Valkyre, MRP, Multi-Laser - 115

Total: 1999    

Edited by The Woodsman

Looks pretty nice and fun to play. :)

A few things that look off to me:

In the Battalion, I'm not sure if the LC can take GS as a trait. Doublecheck, but I think it needs the officer keyword. Should be an easy fix to give it to one of your CCs though.

The Spearhead, I would potentially swap out Spotter Details for jury-rigged repairs. The only one that really needs it is the Demolisher, all your other guns are unlikely to have any range issues between movement and smaller boards. Could also save you the points in the Techpriest.

In your Vanguard, you need one officer in the detachment for each Command Squad. So having 2 with just one Tempestor Prime won't work. You could switch it to a Patrol instead, with 2 5-man squads and potentially one Command Squad. The saved CP could go towards the counter measures strat for your Valk so you can just keep it hovering.

Thanks for the reply!

I'll have check for the WL trait, but as you mentioned, not a huge problem to fix.

As for the Spearhead, I was hoping to maximise both Demolishers with the extra range... I'll have a play around with both and see what works best.

I'd forgotten about the Command Squad rule... I've been playing Grey Knights alot lately so kind of rusty with the Guard. At this stage, so I can keep all the special weapons in the Valkyrie, I'd most likely replace the Psyker with a second Tempestor. I'll be able to give them both a ranged weapon and while it is kind of a tax, the Psyker most likely won't be that useful in the long run.

Should be able to play a game or two soon, I'll let you know how it works out!

Good luck. I've been playing two Demo-TCs in my list for the half dozen games of 9th I've player and the 24" range has rarely been an issue.

In some cases I have to move the full 10 to be in range of stuff when I go first, but not always. Consider that on pretty much all maps you start only 24" away from your opponent. If you go first, you move up a bit and have stuff in range, if you go second your opponent will have had to move out on the board.

As for the Psyker, I've actually dropped the 2-3 Astropaths that were in pretty much all my 8th list and the Inquisitor I'd been bringing along for a while...their psychic has been okay, but rarely game-changing in 9th now that I focus a lot more on getting on the objectives as opposed to pure killing power. And the Abhor the Witch-secondary can potentially be very juicy against the right opponent.

But definitely try it out and see what you like. :)

Edited by sairence