Any Insight on Rule Books: Core Book vs Command Ed

Blank Dave

I've been humming and hawing picking up some of the new starter boxes, and/or a rule book. What I was thinking was either the recruit and elite boxes plus the core rules, or the recruit and command boxes. Yeah, I should have sprung for Indominus.

Basically the difference I see is the command box offers a trimmed down rule book and 'fancy' terrain.

For those already with the base book, do you think it's worth the trade off of fluff for the terrain? I enjoy fluff, but so much of 40k's is just more of the same.

What's your thoughts?

BTW, they work out to be with in $5Can of each other, and would get the capt, it, 3 bikers and 10 A Intercessors...If I did go marines. (I'm so bloody burnt out I keep flip flopping between marines, orks, and clowns.)

Whew, thanks,

Dave

If you've every owned an rulebook since about 5th edition, you're getting the same fluff over again. It's all delivered in the same very dry way too, just 200 pages of walls of text about each army. There's maybe half a dozen little stories scattered around but nothing you'd really miss if you've seen it before.

There's some very nice artwork and pictures of models for each army. I think those are quite valuable if you don't plan on buying every codex or spending hours browsing the GW shop to find out what every unit is for every faction you might face.

Does the abridge version of the BRB include the Crusade rules? If so I'd be happy only buying the Command edition. I want the SM and Crone, and the terrain too and will probably get the recruit edition for the minis as well. But wouldn't worry about getting the full BRB if the abridged version DID have the Crusade stuff.

From the Canadian GW site

- Warhammer 40,000: The Rules book, your complete guide to the Warhammer 40,000 tabletop wargame. Taking all the rules content from the Core Book (available separately), this book is ideal for when you're ready to expand your army and battle other players, including options for narrative, matched and open play, loads of missions to get stuck into, and more!

I would assume so, but you know about assume....