Flesh Tearers - The Sons Of Seth - viewasjack

cretacianborn

Greetings brothers of the blood!

So I've been hard at work recently on my Crimson Fists force, but as soon as I saw the assault intercessors from the Indomitus box I just knew I wanted to paint them up as the sons of Seth. The close support stuff just doesn't fit with my Fists, who I wanted to remain a more backline/shooty force. I just recently finished the Ragnar Blackmanes novel where he heads to Cretacia and that sealed the deal for me.

I want to have this force as a sort of spearhead for one of the fleets pushing back the Tyranids and other foul stuff out in the galaxy after the Devastation of Baal. Maybe having even joined up with one of the Indomitus Fleets. Lot's of transports, outriders and close assault units. I have no idea what company to do yet, I'm thinking 2nd as I have a bunch of yellow blood drop transfers floating around, but I also like the green of the 5th.

Now I know Seth wasn't happy with the Primaris at first, but I figured a hundred or so years have passed to get to this stage, some have started to fall to the twin curses and I'd assume he's more accepting of them now. So it will be a purely Primaris force, possibly backed up by some terminator heroes models I've got kicking about considering they've just had a bump on the tabletop.

I've made a start on a test model and boy are these guys fun to paint. Expect more soon! (Ignore the scratch on his shoulder pad, had an accident with a hobby knife)

50220932363_fa0f2a0013_b.jpg

50220932328_81cc3a8e87_b.jpgi

50220932253_f04fdb597c_b.jpg

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

Updates!

Managed to get some good progress done over the weekend. Thoroughly enjoying painting these guys. Makes such a change from my Crimson Fists. Squads coming along nicely. All five at this stage now, I just grabbed this pic before bed last night. Just needs final highlights on everything, bit of foliage on the base and a varnish. Can't wait to get them on here once they're done. Definitely my favourite models I've painted in a long time. Followed Darren Lathams great desert basing tutorial on YouTube for them, came out really nice I think.

I need some advice on the transfers. I've gone with 5th company (black blood drop) but I find it doesn't really stand out much on the shoulder pad. And on the fire support symbol you'd barely be able to see it at all. I'm thinking of of painting it either a very dark grey so it shows a little more, or just switching it up to the green of the 4th. 

I really want to do some battle damage and blood on these guys but I'm a bit paranoid about overdoing it or screwing it up. I might wait and work on some test models first. I really don't fancy doing all that edge highlighting again!

Anyways, hopefully back soon with the completed squad. Thanks so much for the kind comments from everyone so far!

50235561893_66bf0a544f_b.jpg

50236214611_08c6fc4d16_b.jpg

50236427657_88aa416ea6_b.jpg

50236427547_6840268c1e_b.jpg

As those above me have said: great work.

How did you paint that red? Khorne red layer and....?

Hey, sorry I meant to answer this in the post above but it slipped my mind! It's actually the Forge World paint Gal Vorbak Red. I think GW have released it in their range now too though.

Well, for a black blood drop on a black field it's a tough nut. One of the more obvious cases of GW never really giving much thought to devising variations on the BA colour scheme and markings. We have enough of those types of nuts to crack for proper Blood Angels. Successors always have it worse ;P
Now imagine the 9th company :biggrin.:
Here it doesn't really look that bad, but I get your feelings.

Either make some kind of trim around the blood drop (with red I guess?) or just go green (4th) or yellow (2nd) for additional bonus of having a different contrasting colour popping up on a mini. 

Edited by Majkhel

This is excellent work! My own Flesh Tearers project is a bit on hold at the moment as I'm working on some other stuff, but I plan to resume the project soon. Did you use transfers for the Flesh Tearers icon, and if so, where did you get ahold of them? I ran out just recently so I need to acquire some more...

50241643768_3238bce4c0_b.jpg

50242499102_ba2e8a8f04_b.jpg

50242498962_648a372549_b.jpg

Apolgies for the image spam guys but I couldn't help but upload this. Super happy with how he came out. I think that's the best face I've painted so far. Few minor bits of cleanup and some purity seal text and he's done. Rest of the squad is 99% complete so hopefully I can get a full squad image up soon!

I think i'm going to move onto the Outriders from Indomitus next. Can't wait to get started to be honest, loving painting these guys.

Well, for a black blood drop on a black field it's a tough nut. One of the more obvious cases of GW never really giving much thought to devising variations on the BA colour scheme and markings. We have enough of those types of nuts to crack for proper Blood Angels. Successors always have it worse ;P
Now imagine the 9th company :biggrin.:
Here it doesn't really look that bad, but I get your feelings.

Either make some kind of trim around the blood drop (with red I guess?) or just go green (4th) or yellow (2nd) for additional bonus of having a different contrasting colour popping up on a mini. 

I went with 2nd Company in the end! Just ended up freehanding over the transfer, I think it came out ok. I only picked 2nd as I want to have some Incursors from 8th Company in the force and what with the double green blood drop I thought it might get confusing if I went with 4th. A single green and a double green in the same force might look strange. Thanks for the help!

This is excellent work! My own Flesh Tearers project is a bit on hold at the moment as I'm working on some other stuff, but I plan to resume the project soon. Did you use transfers for the Flesh Tearers icon, and if so, where did you get ahold of them? I ran out just recently so I need to acquire some more...

They are transfers yeah, I wish my freehanding was that good haha! Search Scumb4g Customs on Facebook. Super nice guy.

Well, your brush control is really good! That face came out great (eyes especially), no wonder you're proud!

I'm wondering if this little space between his front teeth is intentional, but it's great and I love it :biggrin.:

I'm so glade someone noticed that. It was intentional!

I wanted him to not have that sort of pretty boy look like an Ultramarine or something. Any description I've ever read of the Flesh Tearers have them all craggy, scarred and beaten up. So I wanted him to reflect that a bit. Some irritation around his service stud too. Like it's just slammed in without any care.

Thanks for the comments dude!

These look great. It's a bit of a coincidence - I also play Crimson Fists, also think the Indomitus stuff would be largely wasted on them and I'm also considering flesh tearers.

I think I'll wait till the codex comes out before making my decision. I see that Flesh Tearers now have their own slightly distinct chapter tactic with better ap on a 6 to wound instead of +1 to advance and charge rolls. They'd certainly make an interesting alternative to my Fists.

These look great. It's a bit of a coincidence - I also play Crimson Fists, also think the Indomitus stuff would be largely wasted on them and I'm also considering flesh tearers.

I think I'll wait till the codex comes out before making my decision. I see that Flesh Tearers now have their own slightly distinct chapter tactic with better ap on a 6 to wound instead of +1 to advance and charge rolls. They'd certainly make an interesting alternative to my Fists.

Seth got a big points nerf which is a real shame.

Seth got a big points nerf which is a real shame.

Really? My codex shows him at 135 and the munutorum guide has 140. Did the points hike happen some time in 8th? I've got a digital book so it would have updated.

50251044087_b34318c5ee_b.jpg

Squad finished, just need to get some tufts and a varnish on them. Thoroughly enjoying painting the FT's. Hopefully I might have a force ready to get some games in for 9th! Outriders up next, already have them primed and base coated so I should get some WIP's up soon. Thanks again guys!