Flesh Tearers - The Sons Of Seth - viewasjack

cretacianborn

Those look really good. It's a very clean paint job.

In fact, if I have a suggestion, it's that you could potentially look at making these guys look quite a bit less clean. Chipped armour, mud and blood could help to make them look like they spend their time in melee, doing savage things to people.

In fact, if I have a suggestion, it's that you could potentially look at making these guys look quite a bit less clean. Chipped armour, mud and blood could help to make them look like they spend their time in melee, doing savage things to people.

Cheers dude. I really want to add battle damage/chipping and blood etc. I need to test out some methods on some spare models as I've never attempted it before.

These look great. It's a bit of a coincidence - I also play Crimson Fists, also think the Indomitus stuff would be largely wasted on them and I'm also considering flesh tearers.

I think I'll wait till the codex comes out before making my decision. I see that Flesh Tearers now have their own slightly distinct chapter tactic with better ap on a 6 to wound instead of +1 to advance and charge rolls. They'd certainly make an interesting alternative to my Fists.

Seth got a big points nerf which is a real shame.

Really? My codex shows him at 135 and the munutorum guide has 140. Did the points hike happen some time in 8th? I've got a digital book so it would have updated.

140 is his new points but he used to be 110, pretty big price hike and given how it's harder to keep characters alive with rule changes etc. I'd still take him regardless if I built a flesh tearer army... I mean it's just not right otherwise. It's a shame his points jumped so much though he should also be way more killy, like ragmar he should just have ridiculous amount of attacks. Ragmars rules would fit with Seth nicely.

Cheers dude. I really want to add battle damage/chipping and blood etc. I need to test out some methods on some spare models as I've never attempted it before.

Yeah definitely practice on spare models. And at first the best approach is to use only tiny amounts of chipping and weathering. It's so easy to do too much.

These look great. It's a bit of a coincidence - I also play Crimson Fists, also think the Indomitus stuff would be largely wasted on them and I'm also considering flesh tearers.

I think I'll wait till the codex comes out before making my decision. I see that Flesh Tearers now have their own slightly distinct chapter tactic with better ap on a 6 to wound instead of +1 to advance and charge rolls. They'd certainly make an interesting alternative to my Fists.

Seth got a big points nerf which is a real shame.
Really? My codex shows him at 135 and the munutorum guide has 140. Did the points hike happen some time in 8th? I've got a digital book so it would have updated.

140 is his new points but he used to be 110, pretty big price hike and given how it's harder to keep characters alive with rule changes etc. I'd still take him regardless if I built a flesh tearer army... I mean it's just not right otherwise. It's a shame his points jumped so much though he should also be way more killy, like ragmar he should just have ridiculous amount of attacks. Ragmars rules would fit with Seth nicely.

I wonder if he'll get a new Primaris model with the new BA codex, or if there'll be another Primaris Flesh Tearer. That didn't happen with Pedro though so they could bring out another Primaris Blood Angel, or nothing. It's interesting that Flesh Tearers are getting their own slightly different version of the BA chapter tactic in the coming codex, with better ap on a 6 to wound instead of +1 to advance and charge. I don't know if it's better than BA but it signifies that FTs will have a bit more of a unique identity, potentially with their own warlord traits, strats and relics, like Crimson Fists have.

Seth doesn't trust the primaris at all in the lore, which is a shame as a new model would be awesome.

Finished squad is really nice.

In the very first piece of lore written. Since then 200 years have passed in-game and he's ok with them. Seth is a pragmatist. He won't turn down weapons.
True, maybe he's softened in the last 200 years ;)

True, maybe he's softened in the last 200 years :wink:

At the risk of going further off-topic, there's a story in a recent White Dwarf where Seth 'initiates' a Primaris marine to the rank of captain by headbutting him almost to death? He doesn't love them, but he sees their value as weapons, like all Flesh Tearers. 

If you'd like more info on that, shoot me a PM so as not to clutter up this thread :happy.:

50271981543_e868955f23_b.jpg

Made some progress on my outriders. Amazing what some transfers will do for a paint job. These are literally just base coated, wash on the silver metallics and then transfers. Coming along quite quickly, hopefully get them finished up soon. I will say I wish I knew you could snip the riders legs off before I glued them all together. Oh well, I plan to have a squad of six in my force so I know for next time!

50271981543_e868955f23_b.jpg

Made some progress on my outriders. Amazing what some transfers will do for a paint job. These are literally just base coated, wash on the silver metallics and then transfers. Coming along quite quickly, hopefully get them finished up soon. I will say I wish I knew you could snip the riders legs off before I glued them all together. Oh well, I plan to have a squad of six in my force so I know for next time!

These guys are looking great - one comment is that I would give models a quick once over with abaddon black after the basecoat - chaos black primer has a different finish to abaddon black, and if you go back to touch up any areas, you'll notice the difference. Giving a single, thin coat of abaddon black over the primer gets rid of this issue. 

You can? Hmmmmmm... might come useful indeed.

What colour are you using for copper?

Yeah I've seen people just snip where the foot and the pedal meet the chassis. It means the exhaust is still attached to the leg but that's a minor compared to painting around the rider etc. The copper is Vallejo Metal Colour Copper 77.710. It's an airbrush paint but goes on so nicely with a brush too. All the Metal Colour range is great.

These guys are looking great - one comment is that I would give models a quick once over with abaddon black after the basecoat - chaos black primer has a different finish to abaddon black, and if you go back to touch up any areas, you'll notice the difference. Giving a single, thin coat of abaddon black over the primer gets rid of this issue. 

Thanks Xenith! I actually use Vallejo black primer through my airbrush and then an overspray of Vallejo black for exactly this reason. The finish on the black here is just the normal Vallejo black paint finish, I find it tends to dry a bit matte which is why you may have thought it was the GW chaos black. 

^^ That's it then - the black looked a lot different to the shoulderpads on your previous infantry. - Perhaps that satiny finish on them is decal sfotner/varnish for the decals?

It could be yeah, there's also gloss on the shoulder pad, and some various bits of nuln oil from washing the metallics. Also I think the harsh light I use for painting doesn't help. I just snapped that pic quickly whilst decals were drying!

• 3 weeks later...

50354090447_6317d9f95d_b.jpg

Had a bit of a stumble with progress due to developing an unhealthy addiction to Crusader Kings 3 (Fantastic game btw.)

Back in the swing of things now. Outriders should be finished over the weekend hopefully!

Outriders all finished up! Still waiting on some varnish to come through from Element games so I can get them protected and add tufts buts calling them finished for now. Had fun painting these but I've got to stop having long breaks midway through a unit, when I come back to them I'm just in a mad rush to get them finished and move on to the next unit.

Still, chuffed with how they came out and really happy with the simple head swap on the acting sergeant. Really fits his pose well I think. I plan to add two more troopers and an actual sergeant to the squad when the codex drops (assuming we can take six-man units)

For now it's back onto a combat squad of Assault Intercessors, as what Flesh Tearers force is complete without more chainswords!

Thanks all!

50372432838_b7ca3be7fe_b.jpg

50372431823_a8e4f6f7c5_b.jpg

Outriders all finished up! Still waiting on some varnish to come through from Element games so I can get them protected and add tufts buts calling them finished for now. Had fun painting these but I've got to stop having long breaks midway through a unit, when I come back to them I'm just in a mad rush to get them finished and move on to the next unit.

Still, chuffed with how they came out and really happy with the simple head swap on the acting sergeant. Really fits his pose well I think. I plan to add two more troopers and an actual sergeant to the squad when the codex drops (assuming we can take six-man units)

For now it's back onto a combat squad of Assault Intercessors, as what Flesh Tearers force is complete without more chainswords!

Thanks all!

50372432838_b7ca3be7fe_b.jpg

50372431823_a8e4f6f7c5_b.jpg

Bloody beautiful these mate, well done