Kill-team Strife - 1500 Zone Mortalis - Shattered Legions

Rejects of Anvilus

So after finishing Saturnine i have decided to start a new army, and I'm imaging i'm not alone in this. :yes:  What really got me in the book though was the kill teams, and as i have been thinking of doing a new ZM army for a while they really pushed all my buttons. Now obviously i'm not going to do a full 100 man force (yet), but 1500 points seems a good start. So after looking at the various leaders possible, and perusing the text for any and all references to what makes them up (or doesn't) i have come up with this list:

Zone Mortalis - Combatant (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List)

HQ

Nathaniel Garro [175pts]

Delegatus [115pts]:  VII: Imperial Fists, Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, On Foot, Refractor Field, Solarite Power Gauntlet . Consul . . Delegatus

Elites

Dreadnought Talon, Legion [165pts]:  VII: Imperial Fists . Dreadnought, Legion: Flamestorm Cannon . . Siege Wrecker: Meltagun

Troops

Assault Squad, Legion [220pts]:  IX: Blood Angels, 9x Assault Space Marines. Additional Wargear: 2x Power Axe

Assault Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Power Axe . Standard Wargear

Breacher Siege Squad, Legion [245pts]:  VII: Imperial Fists, 9x Breacher Siege Space Marines. Additional Wargear: 2x Flamer .

Breacher Siege Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Axe

Phalanx Warder Squad [375pts]: 14x Phalanx Warder, 3x Plasma gun, 7x Power Axe, Vexilla

Warder Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs, Thunder Hammer

Heavy Support

Heavy Support Squad, Legion [205pts]:  VII: Imperial Fists, Autocannon, 5x Space Marines

Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Bolt Pistol, Melta Bombs

Legion and Allegiance:    VII: Imperial Fists,  IX: Blood Angels, Loyalist, Shattered Legions

Rite of War: The Stone Gauntlet

Total: [1,500pts]

Interested to see what people think both in regards to the list itself, and to what you think the kill teams should look like. Also let me know if you are thinking of doing a list inspired by the book as well.

Edited by spinitron

• 2 months later...

RyuNura is right you do need a blood angels HQ to take any and all blood angel units. I'd suggest swapping out Garro for either a cheap choppy centurion or something that's going to support that assault squad like a chaplain or forge lord, personally I'd go for a cheap and choppy generic centurion with artificer armour, refractor field and a blade of perdition.

On the topic of assault squads while they certainly are fluffy for blood angels they can't really stretch their wings in ZM so to speak because every time they move more than 6 inches they have to take a dangerous terrain check. I'd recommend you either swap them out for tacticals with close combat weapons which are basically assault marines without the jump pack visually or for something that can have a similar load out ie power weapons in the squad I'd look at taking some blood angel veterans. A 10 man unit with squad wide melta bombs, 2x power axes, a sergeant with artificer armour and a power axe costs 5 points more than the assault marines.

When it comes to whether or not you should give a sergeant a melta bomb you need to consider if he has a S8 ap 1 or 2 weapon already, if he does the 3 or sometimes for attacks with that hammer or fist will do more damage than a single melta bomb, same goes for if a character is in a squad full of melta bombs, that one extra one usually doesn't add to much to the end result. In your list you can save a further 15 points by dropping "extraneous" melta bombs. this leaves you with 100 points, which can get you a cheeky barebones flamer tactical support squad, I'd make them blood angels so when they invariably wind up in combat after roasting a unit they hid that little bit harder. if you wanted to you can shave 20 points off of some unit upgrades and give those tactical support marines some extra close combat weapons for some extra attacks.   

Those are just a few thoughts and suggestions but it sounds like a really neat idea for a list, I can't wait to see some wips down the road!