Night Lord Painting Guide

JJD

Sorry to intrude on your flensing time.

A friend of mine is looking to get into the hobby. She is a good artist but to my knowledge has no experience painting mini’s.

She has taken a liking to the vile renegade Night Lords. (Two thirds of my group are raving Heretics so the pull of Chaos was too strong) Please no Dark Angels are heretics jokes.

Any how I am struggling to find a basic Night Lords tutorial and was hoping someone could help. The GW paint app doesn’t even cover Night Lords.

Ideally a guide using GW paints as these are easily accessible with 3 GW stores within a 35 min drive.

I actually do mine quick and dirty.

I do a undercoat of nightlords blue, the trim I paint gold, then I do a dry-brush with silver.

Then I wash with Agrax Earthshade.

The blue areas I glaze with Guilliman blue (although that has been discontinued, but I got 3 pots cheap; I have heard you can use Vellejo transparent blue instead).

The lighting I first paint in broader strokes in darker blue on top, then a lighter blue and white as a thin line last.

I like the nice metallic finish I get.

I know this is quite basic, but I work full time and even this type of painting takes me forever.

There are many different ways to paint Night Lords.

Here is how I paint my Night Lords using Citadel paints:

I use a blue armor with bone trim on my Night Lords.

Blue
□ Basecoat Kantor Blue over a white primer
□ Wetblend 3 colors together: Abbadon Black on the bottom, Kantor Blue in the middle, and Teclis Blue on top ( for blending add a drop or 2 of acrylic slow-Dri or retardant to each color on the pallette or use a wet pallette). Blend the colors together on the model)
□ Seal with varnish, gloss or matte depending on your druthers

Another option is to use a wash instead of wetblending. For my Cultists and my Renegades & Heretics troopers I don't bother wetblending. I just basecoat with Kantor Blue, apply a Nuln Oil wash, and then highlight Teclis Blue. If your friend doesn't want to bother with wetblending, this color scheme will work fine.

Bone Trim
□ Basecoat Tau Light Ochre
□ Wash with Sepia
□ Highlight with Ushabti Bone
□ Highlight with a blend of white and Ushabti Bone

Here are some photos

Champion Evita's Predators Chaos Marine Squad and Champion Hatred's Bats out of Hell Raptor Squad

gallery_88062_14499_185097.jpg

Champion Bolivar's Chaos Marine Squad along with 2nd and 7th Cultist Squads

gallery_88062_14499_65027.jpg

Champion Diaz's Death from Above Raptor Squad

gallery_88062_14499_8299.jpg

Night Haunter forever!

Night Lords, "The quick and the dead"

Edited by Tallarn Commander

My opponent ran his army as Biel Tan. I'm not sure where he sourced the Nausicaa models. But they sure were gorgeous.

Here is a link to more photos of the battle and commentary on the battle:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/321042-tallarn-commanders-chaos-5-possessed-gp-finished/?p=4998026

Edited by Tallarn Commander

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for dredging up this thread, I didn't see it until now. But I've got a paint-scheme for my Night Lords that I feel works really well:
KRwkjlg.jpg

vGHeiEq.jpg

UXiwp3B.jpg

This is the method I used:

1. Prime Black
  2. Basecoat: Night Lords Blue
  3. Trim: Warplock Bronze base, then a layer of Sycorax Bronze over it
  4. Leadbelcher for chains, Iron Warriors for the armour joints and cabling
  5. Ushabti Bone for the bone basecoat over the Night Lords Blue
  6. Shade everything at this point with Nuln Oil
  7. Re-layer Night Lords Blue and Ushabti Bone (I tend to ignore the joints/cabling) to brighten the armour back up.
  8. Highlight: Teclis Blue (armour), Screaming Skull (bone), Sycorax Bronze (trim), Leadbelcher (metal areas)
  9. The Red on the cloth and shoulder symbol is Mephiston Red base > Carroburg Crimson shade > Mephiston Red re-layer (avoiding recessed) > Evil Sunz Scarlet highight
  10. Lightning: Lothern Blue > Baharroth Blue > White Scar

All the eye lenses follow the August 2019 White Dwarf's OSL tutorial for Glowing Orange/Red Eye Lenses:

1. Base Corax White
  2. Paint with a 1:1 glaze of Yriel Yellow & Troll Slayer Orange
  3. Glaze of Khorne Red
  4. Glaze of Evil Sunz Scarlet
  5. Glaze of Wild Rider Red