Codex Speculation for 9th Redux

PeteySödes

hopefully saga of the beast content is rolled into the supp

I'm not banking on anything - I think the data sheets are pretty much guaranteed because they are mostly the core Marine stuff, or Ragnar (which I would assume is going to be in the Supplement), but since GW has already said that the PA content was written "with 9th in mind", I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the Wolf unique (no main Marine analog) stratagems and extra Relics not ported over. At that point, everyone is going to have to make the decision whether the book is worth it for that content.

Marines are unusual in that we are getting our new content right at the start of 9th. It may be a while before many other armies get an update so I can see them making do with PA for a while yet.

I expect PA to be made redundant by the new codex + supplement.

I think PA will be invalidated after the supplement release.

For many factions, I think they will end up using their PA book for quite some time, it seems SW/Death Guard probably will probably end up with the least value out of theirs out of all factions based on the release schedule. But many I think will get over a year out of their book.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I do think PA gets rolled into this. The comment about 9th in mind was likely to be said to assuage fears of those further down the release schedule.

While there are many things I like about the codex roll in, I am annoyed that our price of entry is basically double most armies. I honestly feel like they should bundle the codex and a supplement for a reduced price. I know they won't but they did double the entry cost for 4 armies, throw us a bone for christ sake

I reckon we will see a new miniature release for each of those, perhaps even a new kit for that reason.

Basically in the short term, there's no positive at all. Cost of entry is more than doubled, and depending on release order, some are going to have to deal with some odd slurry of FAQ, looking like 3-4 months for the last one (Dark Angels).

So I think any reasonable marketing team is going to want to pair it with something like a new Haraldr Deathwolf, or new Wolf Lord and upgrade kits, or something like that.

I personally would love to see another transfer sheet with lots of stuff for more of the Great Companies. Right now can only get transfers for 3 out of 12 Great Companies, which I don't think is good at all.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Yeah I'm sure we will lose some of the content. I suspect alot of the generic relics will be in the marine book and then we will get a selection of stratagems/relics from our old codex, Saga of the Beast, and some new ones.

That said we should gain access to the all the traits, and relics in core marine book which will add alot of options.

At this point I'm just glad that we'll start seeing points for the updated wargear and models soon. The shakeup to weapons almost feels like a mini edition change.

Edited by Jorin Helm-splitter

I feel like the core rules isn't what will make 9th. The codex changes is what will make it feel like a new edition. Just by the weapon and stat shake ups make it exciting as learning everything all over again. I'm looking forward to seeing the book and then getting news as to when our supplement drops. I'm also interested to see what they drop day one for the Codexes being rolled in as they said we would get what we needed to get us by. Not sure if that means stats blocks, strategem updates, or who knows what else.

I'm really hoping we see an update to our Warlord traits as we have the most jank ones. There was potential when they originally dropped and now it is so much harder to get them off and survive to use them. We will have to wait and see

Unless GW specifically says somewhere that you can't use the PA stuff after a 9th Edition Codex + Supplement release, then even if not all of the content from PA moves over to the Codex + Supplement, the additional content that didn't move over should still be usable, just like the PA content will remain usable for all other factions. Guess we'll know for sure as the Codex and Supplements start coming out, because they haven't said right now that this won't be allowed - maybe they will write it into the Supplement or something - for 8th they gave us an order of operations for stuff, and it still got wonky.

As far as unique stuff coming out with the Supplement, my guess is we'll just see Ragnar by himself in a clamshell, nothing else.

Yeah Ragnar would make sense with the supplement. Hopefully they start to give us a time line of when to expect the supplements.

One thing that I've been wondering about is if the doctrines will be tied to core unit or not.

I hope not

Is non consequential for Repulsors but characters be needing/meriting that