New Crusade launches

templargdt

Templars-

My family and I have completed a big move and finally gotten a bit settled, and I have a bit of free time finally.  I have collected a fair bit of new models to get my Templars army finally going in earnest.  I've wanted to forever but not had the time; I built a Chaplain Dreadnought and 10 Reivers I had for Knightfall, but nothing since.  I have a few weeks where I can put something together before my work picks back up again.  Here is what I have available now:

- Indomitus set

- Primaris Captain

- 10 Intercessors

- 9 Surpressors (I got them for a good deal, seem useful for an assault army.)

I'm going to start putting them together, but I would like advice on what to get next.  My Warhammer gaming has atrophied; I basically sat out 8th edition due to a lack of interest in the rule set and also little time.  I'm thinking of a Reuplsor for the Assault Intercessors and the Judicar to go out and take an objective, maybe another one for the Blade Guard and Melta Rifle guys. Put the Captain, LT, and Chaplain together with some intercessors (second box?) and march up the board shooting troops and hit stuff with a Thunderhammer on the Sword Brother.  Have the Supressors sit on objectives and shoot stuff.   

Any and all advice appreciated, thanks!

Proposed List (I don't have my book handy so I can't add up the points right now.)
HQ
Primaris Captain 

Indomitus LT

Chaplain 

Troops
9 Assault Ints

10 Ints (TH)

10 Ints (TH)

Elites

3 Bladeguard

Bladeguard Ancient

Judicar

Heavy Support

3 Eradicators

Fast Attack

3 Surpressors

3 Surpressors

3 Surpressors

DT
Repulsor (Lascannons, Lastalon, other guns)
Repulsor (Lascannons, Lastalon, other guns)

Maybe could also consider one of them new fangled tanks when they drop... speaking of dropping, a new codex is 2 months away so things might change with regards to what you want to get.

The Impulsor suggestion is more than likely gonna be solid still. And maybe you should get a dreadnought, cuz those're cool

But yeah, new codex with goodies imminent

• 3 weeks later...

templar boxes

Well, I don't have the pictures yet, but I got the Indomitus box built and primed, along with all 9 surpressors and the Primaris Captain.  

I've been doing a lot of reading and ordered two Invictor Warsuits and a box of Incursors which arrived the other day.  I guess those plus the 10 intercessors will be the next wave of reinforcements for my Fighting Company.  I like somethings about the Invictor, but I hate the rollbar cage for the pilot.  Any conversion ideas would be very welcome.

I'm pretty excited about this, I've wanted to do a Templars army for a very long time, and the Primaris range is a good reason to start.  Hopefully the Contrast paints will let me make a decent looking force in not that huge amount of time (my Blood Ravens look pretty good to me, but the recipe is a full page front and back.)  

Anyway, looking for advice as always.  Yeah I know the codex drops in a month but still.  I was thinking about an Impulsor like was mentioned but good luck finding one.  

Yeah I think Impulsors are fine for delivering blade guards, judicars, etc.  I don't see an option for Eradicators besides OF unless I want to pony up for a 300+ point Repulsor.  I think the Repulsor actually is not a bad choice with the Aurelian Shroud relic, you can probably survive a T1 alpha strike with LOS placement and the 4++ to get at least 1 turn of movement and shooting in and drop off your cargo.

OK, initial list of stuff:

Black Templars Battalion:
HQ

Marshall in Phobos Armor (Aurellian Shroud, Warlord, Frontline Commander, 0 CP

Indomitus LT (Crusaders Helm 1 CP)

Primaris Chaplain (Master of Sanctity, Ancient Brevary, 2 CP)

Litanies of the Devout: Divine Protection, Fires of Devotion

Troops

10 Incursors

10 Assault Intercessors

10 Intercessors (ABRs, Thunderhammer)

Elites

3 Blade Guard

Primaris Ancient 

Judicar (Relic: Armor Indomitus, 1 CP)

Invictor Warsuit (Incidium Cannon)

Invictor Warsuit (Incidium Cannon)

Heavy Support
3 Eradicators (Outflank, 1 CP)
3 Eradicators (Outflank, 1 CP)

Fast Attack
3 Surpressors
3 Surpressors

Filthy Witch
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Forbidden Knowledge WLT, 1 CP)

Total: 2000 points 
Starting CP: 5

So the basic plan is the Marshall, the Incursors, and the Invictors will deploy last on the weakest flank of the enemy and charge T1; the Shroud will help them stay alive T1.  T2 the Eradicators will show up and shoot whatever big armor I need to nearby the Marshall.  Meanwhile the 20 Intercessors, LT, Chaplain, Ancient. Blade Guard, and Judicar with advance up the board to objectives.  The Supressors will sit on my home objective along with the Inquisitor to sit in cover and get my CPs.

Well, I painted my first assault intercessor with contrast paints. The black templar is great, it looks 100 percent better than my attempt to paint black two years ago on my reivers. I like all the contrasts... except apothecary white. I tried that on the pauldrons over grey seer and it was hot garbage. I ended up painting two thin coats of wraithbone over it and it looks fine. The other lesson I learned was contrast isnt good for fine detail work. Otherwise, great paints.

I tried to load a photo of my test model but couldn't on my phone. Hopefully I can when we get back home.

Managed to get a few minutes to upload a picture of my Assault Ints WIP.  I really do love the Black Templar contrast.  Hopefully this weekend I will have a few spare minutes to put on the Crosses I got from shapeways, base them and highlight them.

I'm really excited to finally get this project going, really looking forward to having a full Templar army to put on the table.  Now I just need COVID to go away...

assault ints

• 1 month later...

Well, I finally had some time this afternoon to work on a warhammer project and worked on my Templars.  I painted up the Primaris Chaplain from Indomitus and I love it.  I am very grateful for the contrast paints.  One, I could never paint black before and this is fantastic.  Two, the paints overall are immense time savers.  I did all the gold for half the army after painting the Chaplain model.  Obviously it still needs some touch ups and to be highlighted, but it gave me joy to actually paint something.

chaplain 1

chaplain 2

Set 3

Edited by templargdt

Since the new Codex dropped, I've been playing around with my list, this is basically what I'm going towards (assuming I ever get to go play again.)

HQ

Primaris Capt (MC Autobolt, MC, Power Sword, Frontline Commander, Reliquary of Granthamor)

Indomitus LT (Aurelian Shroud)

Primaris Chaplain (Master of Sanctity, Wise Orator, Ancient Brevary, 5+ FNP and +1 A liturgies)

Elites

Judicar

Primaris Apothecary

Invictor Warsuit (Flamer)

Invictor Warsuit (Flamer)

Troops
10 Incursors

10 Assault Intercessors (Powerfist)

10 Intercessors (Autobolt Rifles, Powerfist)

Heavy Support

6 Eradicators (Melta Rifles)

Fast Attack

3 Suppressors

3 Suppressors

3 Suppressors

Agent of the Imperium

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (bolt Pistol, chainsword, Forbidden Lore Trait, Blackshroud Relic, some psychic power.)

The plan for the army is essential three areas:

1.  Advance force.  The Invictors and Incursors will deploy last against my opponents weakest flank to give pressure, destroy vulnerable targets, etc.)

2.  Main force.  Intercessors, HQs, Judicar, Eradicators, Inquisitor advance up the board to the center of the table and kill stuff, grab objectives, etc.  

3.  Rear force.  Suppressors sit in the back and shoot stuff, blocking overwatch for charges and score on rear objectives.

Thoughts as always appreciated.  

Managed to paint a surpressor, I have all nine based and some initial paint on them (gold, green for grenades, some of the grey/silver.)  Slowly but surely making progress.  I should be done, oh, hopefully before I die.

Contrast Black Templar just amazes me, I'm so grateful for this paint.  I could never do black before it, and I think it just does so nicely.

surpressor

Edited by templargdt

Painted up my judicar today. Nice model, excited to try it out one day.

Loaded a photo I took before the basing material dried.  I plan on doing batch highlighting once I get the models all painted.

Black templars Judicar

Edited by templargdt

Some more work before church today and my kids are entertaining themselves.  I painted up the Blade Guard Ancient, finished my first three Suppressors, and painted 40 crosses to glue on shoulder pads.  The force is starting to come together nicely, I have about 600 points painted right now.  Still need touch ups, highlighting, some shading on the bases, and the crosses applied, but I'm starting to enjoy looking at the models together as a group.  

I'm starting to rethink 9 Suppressors.  6 seems adequate for the need, maybe I can fit in some blade guard.  

Blade Guard Ancient

Surpressors

Worked on some stuff today, finished up a second set of Supressors and painted up 3 Eradicators, 3 Blade Guard and the Indomitus Lieutenant.  Just great models.  GW really did a fantastic job with the Indomitus box set.  Wish I had been able to pick up a second copy, but eh.  Considering the supply issues there were I guess grabbing a second would have been greedy.  I plan on grabbing a second set of Blade Guard and Eradicators when they're available.

Eradicators

Indomitus LT

Bladeguard

Surpressors 2

Man, I need to figure out how to take pictures of models.  Better than what I'm doing now, anyway.