New Crusade launches

templargdt

Brother templargdt, I would like to say hello and let you know that I've looked through your thread. I like how you go about with painting your Templars - that you're pretty generous with colours to break the 'monotony' of the standard paint scheme.

Regarding photos, do you use your phone or a camera?

Thanks, I appreciate it!  I'm using my phone, which is a pretty old one.  My wife actually has a nice camera that I bought her for Christmas years ago.  Maybe someday I'll learn how to use it.

I put in a fair bit of work this weekend and this is where I am at.  Still doing finishing touches, basing needs to be shaded/highlighted, and highlights across the models, but its coming together very nicely. 

Hopefully COVID is over soon and I can use the army at a local store.  

black templar army 23 Nov

My next project once these are done is going to be a box of Intercessors I have.  I need to figure out what I'm going to do with the set of Incursors I bought.  I don't like the helmets or the backpacks. 

After that, I have two Invictors to build.  Those, however, I found a great conversin piece for.  I hate the open cockpit.  I'm excited to get these in the mail: https://www.shapeways.com/product/G5XG96EPC/maltese-cross-war-suit-headpiece?optionId=123852774&li=ostatus

I used the infiltrator heads on my "Incursors." In essence, I just took the bits I liked from both halves of the kit and mixed them up. I then play them as whatever Phobos troop I want that day and no one has minded. So basically just infiltrators with loads of knives!

Edited by Brother Adelard

I'm going to see what heads I have in my bits boxes (probably lots of Mark VII helmets, at a guess.)  I thought about buying some sort of alternative heads but I really can't justify the price when the basic kit is already 60 bucks.  

I just hate the way the Incursors look.  I'd take Incursor rules on Reivers!  

• 2 weeks later...

I did some additional painting yesterday and basically finished this part of the army up.  I painted the bases a combination of thinned down contrast Camoshade Green and thinned Gulliman flesh.  Once that dies I will drybrush with terminatus stone.  I wanted to do a full on replication of the GW method for urban basing that did for Advent a few years ago, but I simply don't have time.  Hopefully this looks pretty good.  

I also finished up the blade guard and did some touch ups.  I have to apply the Crosses and highlight, but other than that, this batch is complete, and I think it looks pretty good.  My photos continue to be hot garbage, but once I complete the army I'll go back and research the resources people gave me above and take some good pictures.

The next couple things are the 10 incursors, 10 intercessors, and the 2 Invcitors.  After that I want to round out the Eradicators and Bladeguard squad, grab an Impulsor and I think that will be about it.  I love Vanguard Veterans, so maybe a unit of them as an alternative to the Bladeguard at some point.  Oh, and I need to strip and do something with the 10 Reivers I did for Nightfall.  

I hope you all are enjoying following the development of the Army, I'm really pleased to finally have a Templars army.  

Army so far

Full Supressors

bladeguard

eradicators

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't done any more highlighting on the Army recently.  I hate highlighting to be honest.  It looks great but I find it boring.  Maybe if I did one model at a time to completion instead of batch painting I wouldn't resent it.  

What I did do though, is this:

Incursors, Techmarine, Apothecary

I built the 10 Incursors I bought, and rebuilt my Reivers into more Incursors (kind of.  They have chainswords from the Mark III armor kit, Intercessors heads, and a second pauldron because I didn't pay attention to what Incursors look like before I built them.)

Also, I converted up a Primaris Apothecary from an assault intercessor, and a Primaris Techmarine from another Intercessor.  Both using conversion kits from Kromlech.  I'm especially proud of the Techmarine.  It's an assault intercessor body, the Kromelech head and backpack, along with a heavy bolter left over from an old landspeeder kit, and an axe and grav pistol from the Vanguard Veterans kit.  I think they both look really great, especially the techmarine.  

Also, it didn't cost me forty dollars a pop.

Primaris Apothecary

Primaris Techmarine

I need to stick some sort of sensor devices on the converted incursors, I'm thinking of cutting apart the scopes off of stalker bolt rifles and gluing them to the backpacks.  Other ideas appreciated!

Brother could use a couple Impulsors and few more Bladeguard to load them up with :smile.:

Love the progress of your Crusade.

Edit: I built my "Incursors" byt using the carbine and knives of the Incursors but the backpack and helmet of the Infiltrators. No one has ever said anything. Difference between the two is so small they should make it a weapon option not a unit ability. 

Edited by Dracos

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dracos.  I am almost done painting the converted 10 Incursors, I need to paint the basing material and, as always, do the highlighting.  But progress is progress.  I need to order for Crosses from shapeways as I am about out.

So I have updated my list again.  I think this is what I have settled on, I'm pretty happy with it and will build towards finishing it.  The only thing I keep going back and forth on is swapping Helbrect out for my Primaris Captain and then using the extra points to get wargear on my assault intercessors.  Helbrect gives STR 5 to the units he's around which is obviously huge.  Thunder hammers on assault intercessors would be helpful also, but I think massed STR 5 is better in general.

Black Templars Battalion

HQ

Helbrect
Primaris Master of Sanctity (Wise Orator, Crusader Helm, 5+++ and +1A chants)

Indomitus LT (Aurelian Shroud)

Troops

5 Incursors

5 Incursors

5 Assault Ints

5 Assault Ins

Elites

Invictor Warsuit

Invictor Warsuit
Chief Apothecary (Selfless Healer)

Judicar

5 Blade Guard

Fast Attack 

3 Surpressors

3 Surpressors

Heavy Support

5 Eradicators

Transport

Impulsor with Shield Dome

Agent of the Imperium

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (Forbidden Knowledge)

2000 Points, 9 CP at start.

Plan remains to have Surpressors hang back on an objective and shoot, advance up the board with Helbrect, LT, Judicar, Apothecary, Assault Intercessors, and Eradicators go to the center.  Incursors and Invictors hit a weak flank and the blade guard plus MOS go kill stuff up table.  

Feedback always appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.  Painted up the Techmarine and the Apothecary.  Almost done with the converted incursors.  I wish I still enjoyed painting, but I just don't have the time anymore to do a quality job.  Still grateful for the Contrast paints but the quality isn't comparable I think to what I could do with the old paints and enough time.

Anyway, I've assembled the Invictor Warsuits.  I really like the enclosed Templar cockpits versus the stupid rollcage one in the kit.

techmarine

apothecaey

invictors

I commend your painting skills, the Techmarine and Apothecary's dynamic "charging into battle" poses. How will you decorate their bases?

The "Urban Base" tutorial from the 2015 Advent video by Duncan (PBUH).  Astrogranite and associated paints.  I tried using brown and green contrast to go faster and it looked like trash.  I will probably have to either suck it up and just use earthshade and drybrush or follow the full tutorial.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh I like the Invictors! Very menacing.

Thanks!  The sealed cockpit from shapeways really helps the model out for me, I couldn't stand it otherwise.  I hope they perform on the table top.

I'm pretty proud of the Apothecary, it's turning out really nicely.  I'm trying to figure out how to paint the apothecary symbol.

His face looks particularly excellent. I get the feeling he's seen many wars and has grown weary of endlessly recovering the gene-seed from younger, more energetic brothers. Dare I say he perhaps doesn't carry the same conviction he once did. 

Edited by Brother Kraskor

• 2 weeks later...

Templars-

I have completed my vow for Sons of Dorn, both Invictor Warsuits.  I found GW's tutorial on transfers and finally, after probably 10 years, applied them and didn't rip one.  Absolutely pleased.  The warsuits are some of my best work, I'm just thrilled with them.  I also completed my Apothecary, along with a transfer as well.

The basing of the Invictors turned out great.  My earlier models I had used contrast Athenian Camoshade for green since I didn't have the green shade in the 2015 Advent tutorial.  At the time I thought it looked like trash, but here I washed the Contrast Camoshade with Agrax Earthshade and then did the Terminatus Stone drybrush.  The bases look fantastic.  Oddly, you can barely see the green of the camoshade unless you look closely at the base.  Otherwise it just blends into the greys of the base.  I'll at some point go back to the rest of the models of my crusade and enhance the bases of the models that way.

warsuit 1

warsuit 2

warsuit 3

warsuit 4

apothecary 1

apoth 2

• 5 months later...

Templars- I haven't had time to do any painting in a while, but took some time off this week and managed to get some work done.  Pretty happy with these two.  Still need to do transfers and bit more highlights, but I'm pleased.

chap 1

Chap 2

Chap 3

Chap 5

I cleaned up the helmless Chaplain and managed to get the transfers on (went through six to get two.)  I'm pleased enough with them that I'd put them on the tabletop and feel good about it.  I'd like to do more highlighting but I have a huge pile of models to get through to completion.  I think the next step for me will be cleaning up, highlights and transfers for my converted Incursor squad.

face 2

dual 2

transfers applied