Hello Brothers, I would love if you C&C'd my Chapter.
It is far from done. Funny enough it doesn't have a name or a logo yet. These things aren't that important and will come to me naturally when I know more about my Chapter, I don't want to force it out of me. For the purpose of this topic we will call them "The Blooded".
I will start with the crunch-part. The Custom Chapter Tactics that they use are:
- Whirlwind of Rage (additional hit on 6s in melee)
- Stalwart (1s and 2s to wound against them always fail)
Why these Traits?
The Founding Chapter is unknown (high chances its the Ultramarines), and while UMs geneseed is mostly stable, The Blooded have a small mutation.
They have overdeveloped organs that interact with poisons/stimulants/chemicals etc. As a result they can tolerate very high doses of Combat Stimulants(even by Astartes standarts) and not have their hearts explode.
There are many different types of Combat Stims. Some make you faster, some make you stronger, some make your reflexes quicker, some make you not feel that half of your head is missing, etc.
This is basically why I chose those Chapter Tactics.
Stalwart represents Combat Stims that make them feel no pain and keep going.
Whirlwind of Rage represent them being faster, stronger, etc.
There is a side effect. While their bodies can handle the devastating effects of overdosing, the Stims also increase agressiveness. So they go full rage mode when they are pumped with galons of stims.
About the Chapter Homeworld and origins:
As I've mentioned in the beginning, a lot is unknown yet. I like when these things come to me naturally, so I don't rush or force myself to come up with lots of lore quickly. All in due time. Here is what is known:
There was once a tragic incident. A loyal Chapter was completely wiped out by another. This 'another' was 'The Blooded'. The incident occured in the System where The Blooded's Homeworld is located.
Details are unknown, but at some point fleets started firing at each other, as well as at the Homeworld planets. What lead to this will probably never be uncovered, because as soon as the deed was done, The Blooded reported directly to the Inquisition and awaited judgement.
The Inquisitorial fleet came in full might but no shots were fired. Instead the Blooded were offered a deal. The Inquisition explained that technically they are heretics and traitors and need to be destroyed, but the circumstances which lead to the clash between the two Chapters were so tragic and specific, that they can understand how it came to this. The deal was that The Blooded, and their Homeworld (because they were involved in the fighting too) are to repent for what they have done untill the rest of their days.
The Homeworld will be charged with inhuman tithes, while the Chapter will do the dirtiest jobs and the most suicidal missions that the Inquisition will throw at them. An agreement was reached.
So this is the background for my Chapter (for now). They are on a leash of the Inquisition. They do the dirty jobs, they take on suicide missions from which they are not expected to return. Their casualties are immense. But they survive, they endure, they recover.
There is a lot more to tell and a lot more to expand upon, but I don't want this to be a monster-post. So here are some bullet-points to provide more insight.
- The Blooded colour scheme is smokey-grey with dark-red arms, helmet and backpack. Vets and Officers have white(-er) armour. I have come up with markings for them, but I will not list every one of them. Here is just a regular Battle Brother, a Veteran and a Captain to give you a rough idea.
- They were mostly grey prior to the incident. They started painting their arms red to represent the blood of innocents (by 40k standarts) on their hands. This does not only include the wiped out Chapter, but you can also imagine that the Inquisition sends them on missions of a less honourable character.
- The people of their Homeworld can be described as stubborn, faithfull and enduring. They do care for each other, as all normal people would do, but the concept of selfpity is allien to them. They are a very faithfull people, since faith and enduring are often connected.
- The Homeworlds history is one of survival. They endured The Long Night, they endured the Xenos that preyed on them, they ednured the internecine wars, they will endure the judgment of the Inquistion.
- Withing the Chapter it is allowed to worship the Emperor as a God. Not everyone does, but it is not prohibited. Manye Brothers find comfort in faith, more on this later.
- How did the Inquisition deal with the wiped out Chapter? It is unknown. Maybe they deleted all records, maybe they made up that the Chapter went into the Eye of Terror, maybe something else.
- Because the Blooded make such strong use of Stims, they have an above avarage amount of Apothecaries who are also exceptionally proficient. Apothecaries are highly respected and will generally acompany even small squads on every mission.
- Many Chapters hold Chaplains in high regard, but the Blooded go even further. While a Captain is a Commander, the Chaplain is a spiritual leader. They care for the mental health of the Chapter. Eventhough they are Astartes, mental health issues are a thing within the Blooded. They have to kill innocents, they wiped out a loyal Chapter, they are used by the Inquisition, the stims have sideeffects, they see their Brothers die as entire Companies are wiped out on suicide missions. If not for the Chaplains, who comfort and insipire their Brothers, the Chapter would have fallen apart long ago. Just like the Apothecaries, the Chaplains will often accompany their Brothers on any kind of mission.
- An avarage Battle Brother will have a bunch of bionics. The reason for this is that due to the stims they can survive even the grievest of wounds, while the Apothecary patches them up.
- How do they fight? They prefer close combat because this is where they can make the most use of their Combat Stims. They have also learned how to deal with overwhelming odds. It is common that the Chapter has to fight an enemy that outnumbers them greatly. They have learned to turn their numbers agaisnt them. Only the greates leader can lead a huge army. Kill that leader and that army will fall apart or turn on each other. Best example are probably orks. Because of this they make great use of Eliminators as well as Assassins provided to them by the Inquistion on request. Guerilla warfare is also a viable tactic when you're outnumbered, so they like to use sneaky Infiltrators(especially because they can take a Helix Adept).
This is it for now. There is more to tell, but I would love to hear your initial impressions.
What did you like?
What did you not like? (don't be afraid to tell me, I'm not gona be offended)
Are there things that you did not understand?
Are there things that don't make sense? (very important, pelase point out if you found anything)
Thank you for reading.