Sicarius in games

Captain Idaho

With the reveal of so many changes in 9th edition (can't wait until this Codex comes out), one which seized my imagination is the power sword. Hearken back to the glory of 2nd edition, power swords were stock S5 and -3 to the armour modifier, with GW seeming to want to go back to these days.

As such, weapons belonging to characters which are based off the power sword rules must surely be changing, particularly for Marine characters. Sicarius is one such character, with his Tempest Blade being a power sword +1.

Now, he becomes really effective if he has a +1 Strength to his Tempest Blade. In practice this makes it as good at wounding T4 targets (his most likely opponents in the game, though a Death Guard resurgence might be imminent in 9th...) as the Burning Blade.

D3 damage is a little difficult to get the most out of, but causing D3 Mortal Wounds helps him topple characters and infantry. If he's your Warlord he'll also cause an additional +1 Mortal Wound due to Paragon of War.

Fishing for 6s is rarely a good tactic, but having decent killing potential from S5 makes up for those turns you don't get any.

And with Objectives being crucial in the game, if he gives Defenders of Humanity to the right unit (Terminators are great now) you can snatch objectives off your opponent or hold them for longer.

So I'm considering Sicarius in my 9th edition lists now. He has a 2+ save, Relic pistol and potentially relic melee weapon of note. In a Rhino with Sternguard or Company Veterans he might be really powerful.

I certainly think his ability to give objective secured to a unit is much more valuable in 9th than in 8th. Being able to put that on a unit of terminators or aggressors alone makes him worth consideration now. His offense suffers, but if his sword gets buffed it will help make him a worthwhile choice when added to his ability. I've certainly been mulling over possibly taking him in a list when before there was really no point other than fun factor.

I have always taken him in my lists since 5th, because i'm a fan an not afraid to admit that. 
I miss a lot of the utility the character had from previous editions especially the mantle of Suzerain 5+ FNP, tank hunters or infiltrate etc.

I do hope GW rules guys do something for the character that makes him a little more unique, not just the mini child of Calgar or Guilliman.
That said though +1 strength is going to happen, i just hope they do something about the 6+ mortal wound conversion because you might never see this weapons ability come in to play, a 5+ would be good with a flat 2-3 damage. Even with wound re-rolls from Oath or warden of Ultramar its just not feasible enough.

I have found the obsec he give can be good on vanguard veterans. The ancients warlord trait and Sicarius ability combine could double Obsec for any unit but a situation where you'd want to do that could be very slim. Pox walker blob maybe and if VP's where closely tied. 

Good to see people taking Sicarius for fun first.

I might actually do that myself. Especially in 9th. :)

Oh yeah, it is certainly fun to field him! The only downside is its pretty much endless text to speech device jokes from your opponents, which can get a bit old. Lol.

Remember you can run multiple WLT now.

I don't follow, wasn't hero of the chapter single use?

Funny about thing about Sicarius going primaris is the online stock is out on every gw region. Now, I know its temporary but well.. Maybe there might be chance of upgrade happening.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Sicarius is going Primaris. Would have happened already. I think they are saving him for the eventual oldmarine refresh, he's so iconic as the poster boy of the firstborn and given the events and themes of knights of macragge it would be a disservice to his character to have him cross the rubicon now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad and irked about the damage though. It will be a pain getting 1 damage in a fight. Having the +1 wound roll litany will helpful over all. Best pray for unmodified 6+

The more I think about it, running a classic command squad with apothecaries; ancient; champions; veterans seems a little difficult to pass up.

I suspect that he will be the next Ultra character to go primaris, probably when our supplement gets updated.

Yes, I was going to say my money is on him being next to get the Cawl super deluxe upgrade package. But since this is for the here and now, I would agree jonjacob that this is a good time for him to be imbedded in a Rhino with some strong command squad and host of characters.

Rhino's are still very good, and they 'cheat' the system now... they do what nothing else short of a repulsor could  do: hold 10 multiwound models. Using that to your advantage with a First Born character is definitely strong, especially if you fit Cassius in the mix. 

Powering Sicarius to make more powerful style of "chapter master" could be plausible, like Exhoration of Rage, Might of hero's. A budget Captain made all the better but it's not going to be consistent and fill up HQ's could be problematic, kind of missing the old supreme command detachment.

I think the more important aspect is finding the mean to re-rolls the wound roll, as it could be very helpful with Paragon of War Trait. A range of 2-4 mortal wounds per strike could be helpful to strike above his weight, but outside Seal of Oath and Warden of Ultramar Trait I'm not sure how else it would be possible.