Board control AM 2000pts

Joramunt

Hello Everyone!

The following is a 9th edition adaptation of a list that yielded good results in 8th (I mostly play in TTS until I can afford all the minis). First some notes:

# I decided to put everything in a brigade because I tend to spam "overlapping fields of fire" and I need the CP.

# I never see the Vindicare in competitive lists, but he drops autarchs and smash captains like flies in turn 1 or 2 and I have come to love him.

# The sentinels are not only to fill slots, more often than not my opponent spends valuable antitank shots to remove them instead of targetting the TCs. So they are some insurance if I don't get turn 1.

My biggest concern and the reason I am asking for advice is the infantry. I played once with 6 squads and 5 Bullgryns, only to lose because my squads were wiped out by turn 3 and despite the Bullgryns surviving I lost control of the board. This list has 10 vanilla squads, no heavy weapons, no plasma, just some good old FRFSRF wall of guns.

Is this an efficient use of points or would you get something else for 200pts?

Brigade Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [112 PL, 11CP, 2,000pts]

Regimental Doctrine: Cadian

Stratagems

Tank Ace [-1CP]

Operative Request Sanctioned [-1CP]

Agents of the Imperium

Vindicare Assassin [5 PL, 100pts]

HQ

Company Commander [2 PL, 35pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol, Warlord, Relic: Kurov’s Aquila

Company Commander [2 PL, 35pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

3x Tank Commander [12 PL, 235pts]: Battle Cannon, Lascannon, Plasma Cannons

Troops

10x Infantry Squad [3 PL, 50pts]

. 9x Guardsman: 9x Lasgun

. Sergeant: Chainsword, Laspistol

Elites

3x Astropath [1 PL, 25pts]: Telepathica Stave

2x Commissar [2 PL, 20pts]: Bolt pistol

Fast Attack

3x Scout Sentinels [3 PL, 45pts]

. Heavy Flamer

Heavy Support

2x Basilisks [7 PL, 125pts]

. Full Payload, Heavy Bolter

Basilisk [7 PL, 125pts]

. Heavy Bolter

Total: [112 PL, 10CP, 2,000pts]

It's a solid list...you got a nice bit of everything in there. In 8th you could usually say that your first 5-6 squads will get killed easily, but any more than that will be a lot more survivable because there is only so much firepower your opponent can bring against them quickly.

One thing to note for 9th: the amount of CP is tied to the size of the battle, not your detachments. At 2k points you will start with 12 CP no matter if you bring a Patrol or a Brigade.

Is it two cps for the assassin?

It is actually one, the other CP goes to tank ace for one of my basilisks. Another advantage is that I get to choose which assassin to bring before the battle begins but the vindicare has always been the most reliable for me.

It's a solid list...you got a nice bit of everything in there. In 8th you could usually say that your first 5-6 squads will get killed easily, but any more than that will be a lot more survivable because there is only so much firepower your opponent can bring against them quickly.

One thing to note for 9th: the amount of CP is tied to the size of the battle, not your detachments. At 2k points you will start with 12 CP no matter if you bring a Patrol or a Brigade.

Thanks for the feedback! About the CP I meant I would rather bring a brigade rather than two battalions for example because only the detachment that has your warlord costs no CP. Did I understand that correctly?

Yes, that's right.

Also, bringing an Assassin doesn't cost you CP anymore as per their updated PA rules. You can bring one (or an Inquisitor) for 100p in an Imperium patrol/battalion/brigade. It only costs you 2CP to use the strat if you want to change to another.

I'd probably drop the vindicare to pay for other more vital stuff. For instance, taking Creed means that you can run a double battalion list for the cost of 1 CP, as Creed gives you 2 CP. Another reason why Creed got really good is that he only went up 5 points, but PCs and CCs also went up 5 points. Creed is better than a CC and PC commander combined because he has the same number of orders and he has a 12" VoC. He grants you a minimum of 3 orders with a 12" range for the price of a company commander and a platoon commander. Sentinels suck. You'd be better with bringing mortar squads. You already have 10 fast moving infantry squads. Why waste point on a sentinel? Instead use your points savings on platoon commanders and mortars. Edited by HallofStovokor

Scout Sentinels can scout move on the mid objectives turn 1 as in most missions the objectives are 12" away from your deployment zone. This allows you early pressure and forces your opponent to make choices in what to shoot.

As for Creed, sure he's good but he's locked into Cadia. Not everyone wants to play that regiment, there's plenty of other very good options.

An armoured sentinel can sit back and be a pretty durable holder for your backline objective of it can follow in your second wave to do the same job forward.

Both are things that HWTs can't do, because they want to sit still and because your opponent probably will want to shoot them as they can do good damage.

Any shooting at Sentinels will often be a bit of a waste and it can be surprising how much they can soak up sometimes.

It's a completely different role in my view. And in the objective based game we're playing now, Sentinels are much better than they used to.

And yes, he already has 10 squads. But in the missions we have now, it's not just about moving onto objectives but also surviving there until your next command phase. The more stuff you put on there the better your chance. If you deny all or most primaries to your opponent for two, three turns through sheer weight of number you've almost won the game.

Edited by sairence

Scout Sentinels can scout move on the mid objectives turn 1 as in most missions the objectives are 12" away from your deployment zone. This allows you early pressure and forces your opponent to make choices in what to shoot.

As for Creed, sure he's good but he's locked into Cadia. Not everyone wants to play that regiment, there's plenty of other very good options.

An armoured sentinel can sit back and be a pretty durable holder for your backline objective of it can follow in your second wave to do the same job forward.

Both are things that HWTs can't do, because they want to sit still and because your opponent probably will want to shoot them as they can do good damage.

Any shooting at Sentinels will often be a bit of a waste and it can be surprising how much they can soak up sometimes.

It's a completely different role in my view. And in the objective based game we're playing now, Sentinels are much better than they used to.

And yes, he already has 10 squads. But in the missions we have now, it's not just about moving onto objectives but also surviving there until your next command phase. The more stuff you put on there the better your chance. If you deny all or most primaries to your opponent for two, three turns through sheer weight of number you've almost won the game.

I'd probably drop the vindicare to pay for other more vital stuff. For instance, taking Creed means that you can run a double battalion list for the cost of 1 CP, as Creed gives you 2 CP. Another reason why Creed got really good is that he only went up 5 points, but PCs and CCs also went up 5 points. Creed is better than a CC and PC commander combined because he has the same number of orders and he has a 12" VoC. He grants you a minimum of 3 orders with a 12" range for the price of a company commander and a platoon commander. Sentinels suck. You'd be better with bringing mortar squads. You already have 10 fast moving infantry squads. Why waste point on a sentinel? Instead use your points savings on platoon commanders and mortars.

I think there are some good points here. I used to run mortar squads but I found them too fragile and never did any significant damage, but my next battle might change my mind. I never use named characters like Creed, just a personal preference, and I am not very concerned about orders because the infantry units are gonna start disappearing very quickly. As long as I can order four squads to "move, move, move" in turn 1 I "should" be ok. 

Soon I will be testing the durability of my 10 squad blob against an eldar and an admech player and might post some feedback. Until then, thank you so much for your posts!

commisars look awesome but dont add much in game at the minute (can fully get behind just looking awesome though :))

40pts would give you 8 melta/plasma in your infantry. might not come to anything, but better than the commisars!

I like sentinels too - I prefer scout for the scout move - but the points about armoured are good. 

Plan to loose 30 infantry minimum per turn... for the emperor!... But the new leadership rules are massively beneficial for us - you always seem to get a couple of rag tag guys left over! its another reason why the special weapon is good.... you get to have a single guy manically running around from a squad....