Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

GW Preview Saturday, 22 August

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
158 replies to this topic

01RTB01

01RTB01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,136 posts
40k deserves a backseat, it it's going to have anything I'd like to see beyond the necron/ marine release to keep the ravening hordes happy...
  • Firedrake Cordova, Sandlemad, Triszin and 4 others like this
Signature not compliant with forum rules.
Hidden Content

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 491 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
My guess for 40K is the just new Heavy intercessors and Captain

Maybe the multi parts for the assault intercessors and other bits from Indomitus That need multi part kits

Wulf Vengis

Wulf Vengis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,175 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
I might actually watch this as I'll be preparing to go out of state and pick up my son...
The Lone Wolf Saga or The Lone Wolf Saga
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: Orlath83

jaxom

jaxom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,925 posts

I think the only 40k stuff will be related to whatever product contains the ETB Invader and Turret.

gallery_48988_15094_7420.pnggallery_48988_15094_3504.pngsml_gallery_48988_11572_4589.png

Past Event Banners

Spoiler

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

Inquisitor Eisenhorn

++ CANTOR ARDENS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,084 posts
  • Faction: Forces of the Imperium

Maybe the multi parts for the assault intercessors and other bits from Indomitus That need multi part kits

What's the good word on these Heavy Intercessors?

• Juggernut likes this

Captain Coolpants

Captain Coolpants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,170 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
It'll never happen. But I'd love a xenos version of 30k.

Back when the Eldar and old ones were fighting the pre necron necrons and their forces, with prime orks and zoats and all kinds of small faction armies being introduced...

It'll never happen obviously. But would be epic.
  • Firedrake Cordova, mithrilforge, Pork Chop Express and 4 others like this

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,248 posts

They were revealed as a datasheet entry in the pic of the contents page of the new marine codex. Think theres a blurry pic of a unit that looks like a Gravis type with a bolt weapon

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 887 posts

They were revealed as a datasheet entry in the pic of the contents page of the new marine codex. Think theres a blurry pic of a unit that looks like a Gravis type with a bolt weapon

I think the majority opinion is that they'll end up being a multi-build option for the Eradicators (which might mean the Eradicators don't get a second main weapon option). Also, the Heavy Intercessors will probably be armed with a standard version of the same Heavy Bolt Rifle that the new "Captain with Master-Crafted Heavy Bolt Rifle" carries.

Edited by Lord Nord, 18 August 2020 - 07:34 PM.

• Juggernut likes this

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 614 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

The Heresy reveals will probably be two more photo angles of the Word Bearer Praetors. That's it. *Maybe* something else on top of that. Necromunda though, based off the House of chains, and now house of blades - we will now see house of locks and rocks. Possibly continuing the pattern of expanding on the original gang releases, Orlock was the third gang to release, if I recall - so we'll see more goodies for them.

I'm hoping Underworlds give us Lizardmen, please. A saurus, and a fine Kroxigor too!

Nay, maybe a plastic slann...

Edited by Hungry Nostraman Lizard, 18 August 2020 - 08:20 PM.

J25oay8.jpg

Ascanius

Ascanius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,216 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion

Obviously I do not expect it, we will be stuck with Faith and Fury until 6 months before 10th edition lmao.

I would pay top dollar for new catachans tho.

I feel like GW would be missing a trick if they didn't at least provide supplements for Black Templars and other subfactions of interest via White Dwarf or something. For my money, and assuming here that they're putting all the First Founding chapter-specific stuff from the latest supplements into the main codex this time around, it makes sense to provide this sort of thing for Black Templars, Crimson Fists, Emperor's Spears (maybe update the collector's edition bonus supplement?), Scythes of the Emperor, et cetera - i.e. any of the chapters which have some distinctiveness worth representing mechanically and/or have a decent presence in the fiction that could justify relics and whatnot.

As for new Catachans, just imagining what modern plastic miniatures technology could do with that design is exciting, though I still have hope for a more modular approach to any new Astra Militarum figures along the lines of what Victoria Miniatures does - torsos, heads, legs, and arms which can be combined in different ways to represent different uniforms. For instance, both Cadians and Mordians could use the same trousers-and-boots legs with the bottom of the jacket showing below the belt, but different torsos - blouse and flak armour for Cadians, dress uniforms for Mordians. The same legs with a kefiya-wrapped head and an unarmoured blouse torso work for Tallarns. Same legs and dress torso plus a pith-helmet head gets you Praetorians. Greatcoat legs could be interchangeable between Vostroyans, Valhallans, and Steel Legionnaires.

Victoria Miniatures has proved the concept works; I'd like to see GW run with it.

• Firedrake Cordova, Alcyon and Hungry Nostraman Lizard like this

sarabando

sarabando

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,664 posts
GW hates true multipart kits these days because they can't cope with the competition making bits people want for their kits.so I doubt we will ever see a true multi part kit like they used to make. At best a new guard kit will be like the necromunda gangs
  • Doghouse and Larkyn like this

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,716 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

Obviously I do not expect it, we will be stuck with Faith and Fury until 6 months before 10th edition lmao.

I feel like GW would be missing a trick if they didn't at least provide supplements for Black Templars and other subfactions of interest via White Dwarf or something. For my money, and assuming here that they're putting all the First Founding chapter-specific stuff from the latest supplements into the main codex this time around, it makes sense to provide this sort of thing for Black Templars, Crimson Fists, Emperor's Spears (maybe update the collector's edition bonus supplement?), Scythes of the Emperor, et cetera - i.e. any of the chapters which have some distinctiveness worth representing mechanically and/or have a decent presence in the fiction that could justify relics and whatnot.

GW need to release two codex books for Marines. One has all the generic units usable by all chapters. The other has all the chapter specific units and a few pages of strats and relics for each one.
  • mithrilforge and Son of Carnelian like this

-~Ishagu~-

Joe

Joe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,985 posts

GW hates true multipart kits these days because they can't cope with the competition making bits people want for their kits.so I doubt we will ever see a true multi part kit like they used to make. At best a new guard kit will be like the necromunda gangs

Ill-informed and flagrantly incorrect. Much like other manufacturers have started to recognise and respond to, (including my old employer) Games Workshop reached a state where the trade-off on new plastic sets was greater detail or greater customisation - they opted for the former, as any right-minded manufacturer ought to do. As a result of the unusual designs the company pushes as part of their IPs it's practically unfeasible to have both. Regardless of which it wouldn't have mattered which path the company took in the long run as they would have received considerable flak from the community either way. 

Trying to paint it as some hurr durr bersness line of thought is slavishly cult-like and speaks volumes of how little people actually know about the miniatures industry and the design processes involved in it.

• Firedrake Cordova, Felix Antipodes, Blindhamster and 12 others like this

mkbKIlr.png

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 491 posts

Ill-informed and flagrantly incorrect. Much like other manufacturers have started to recognise and respond to, (including my old employer) Games Workshop reached a state where the trade-off on new plastic sets was greater detail or greater customisation - they opted for the former, as any right-minded manufacturer ought to do. As a result of the unusual designs the company pushes as part of their IPs it's practically unfeasible to have both. Regardless of which it wouldn't have mattered which path the company took in the long run as they would have received considerable flak from the community either way.

Trying to paint it as some hurr durr bersness line of thought is slavishly cult-like and speaks volumes of how little people actually know about the miniatures industry and the design processes involved in it.

The issue of smaller companies stealing GW’s IP for bits or making other kits not currently sold from the IP also i massive factor to why we see less customisation on our data sheets now!

Thanks to the ChapterHouse law suits etc we’ll never see the weapon options return again because of America’s weird copyright laws (IE. no primaris captain options unless already made by GW) so instead of praising the small companies they should be condemned for ruining our freedom for conversions or making our own guys how we want
  • Hungry Nostraman Lizard likes this

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,777 posts

Ill-informed and flagrantly incorrect. Much like other manufacturers have started to recognise and respond to, (including my old employer) Games Workshop reached a state where the trade-off on new plastic sets was greater detail or greater customisation - they opted for the former, as any right-minded manufacturer ought to do. As a result of the unusual designs the company pushes as part of their IPs it's practically unfeasible to have both. Regardless of which it wouldn't have mattered which path the company took in the long run as they would have received considerable flak from the community either way.

Trying to paint it as some hurr durr bersness line of thought is slavishly cult-like and speaks volumes of how little people actually know about the miniatures industry and the design processes involved in it.
The issue of smaller companies stealing GW’s IP for bits or making other kits not currently sold from the IP also i massive factor to why we see less customisation on our data sheets now!

Thanks to the ChapterHouse law suits etc we’ll never see the weapon options return again because of America’s weird copyright laws (IE. no primaris captain options unless already made by GW) so instead of praising the small companies they should be condemned for ruining our freedom for conversions or making our own guys how we want

That's not true, since we just need to look at Horus Heresy or Necromunda to see that's not the case. It's commonly stated by people in the community without realising the move away from highly optioned army lists and open customisation for models was a game design choice for particular systems, not something case in stone across GW (and thus not policy). There are many army options in the heresy without models, and also in Necromunda and Blood Bowl.

Edited by Petitioner's City, 19 August 2020 - 11:52 AM.

• SufficientAnonymity likes this
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Crix

Crix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 242 posts
Are those rumored heavy intercessors just supposed to have better guns or stat line increases as well? I hope those get previewed!

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 491 posts

That's not true, since we just need to look at Horus Heresy or Necromunda to see that's not the case. It's commonly stated by people in the community without realising the move away from highly optioned army lists and open customisation for models was a game design choice for particular systems, not something case in stone across GW (and thus not policy). There are many army options in the heresy without models, and also in Necromunda and Blood Bowl.

I got that info direct from a GW employee who’s also a friend so make of it what you will, but they had to buy out the company that made thunder wolves first as they lost the IP battle and the change started very fast after the incident
  • Petitioner's City likes this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,974 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
The classic "store manager told me, it must be true" .

As all the 3rd party knockoffs that exist and don't apparently infringe on design show, you can basically make the same thing and tweak details to make it "original" . Otherwise things like vanguard would be clearly infringing as they only change the odd detail and shrink it. If it's possible for these companies to make these models and their very low money to throw around in court to fight GW, it would be more than possible for gw to do the same.

Had to buy out the company that made thunderwolves lol. Did they also buy out every company that made a primarch model?
  • Sandlemad, Arbedark, Son of Carnelian and 2 others like this

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 491 posts

The classic "store manager told me, it must be true" .

As all the 3rd party knockoffs that exist and don't apparently infringe on design show, you can basically make the same thing and tweak details to make it "original" . Otherwise things like vanguard would be clearly infringing as they only change the odd detail and shrink it. If it's possible for these companies to make these models and their very low money to throw around in court to fight GW, it would be more than possible for gw to do the same.

Had to buy out the company that made thunderwolves lol. Did they also buy out every company that made a primarch model?

Your argument is from a place of ignorance mate they did buy the company they also got Chapter houses assets froze

I really can’t be bothered arguing with you as you clearly have a strong view point and my hobby is more about painting models than arguing with someone on a forum

Have a nice day

Edited by BladeOfVengeance, 19 August 2020 - 01:09 PM.

• SteveAntilles, Charlo, Lemondish and 1 other like this

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,745 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate
++ Chapter House, 3rd party bits, and the practices of miniatures companies are not the topic of this thread. They’ve also been done to death, but if you feel so inclined to carry on please do so on the appropriate sub forum. Personal disagreements can be taken to PMs, though my recommendation would be to take a breather and let it go. ++

Edited by Juggernut, 19 August 2020 - 01:53 PM.

• Dosjetka, Son of Carnelian, Petitioner's City and 2 others like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,248 posts

I feel like GW would be missing a trick if they didn't at least provide supplements for Black Templars and other subfactions of interest via White Dwarf or something. For my money, and assuming here that they're putting all the First Founding chapter-specific stuff from the latest supplements into the main codex this time around, it makes sense to provide this sort of thing for Black Templars, Crimson Fists, Emperor's Spears (maybe update the collector's edition bonus supplement?), Scythes of the Emperor, et cetera - i.e. any of the chapters which have some distinctiveness worth representing mechanically and/or have a decent presence in the fiction that could justify relics and whatnot.
GW need to release two codex books for Marines. One has all the generic units usable by all chapters. The other has all the chapter specific units and a few pages of strats and relics for each one.

One book to contain all the DA/SW/BA/DW stuff plus all the unique first founding chapter stuff? That would be one big book

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,744 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW

Ishagu is right, they could absolutely do that. It exists currently in the HH with the Legion book, and it works quite well. The sum of the BA/SW/DA/DW stuff isn't greater than the 13 legions in that book. If you cut out the fluff, you could essentially have another book with everything in it.

It would definitely be doable and I think it would be quite nice for gameplay, although the people playing those would want something for their lore, etc.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion, 19 August 2020 - 02:40 PM.

• Petitioner's City likes this

sml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,248 posts
Even without lore it would still have to cover the unique stuff from 4 codices plus 6 supplements.

Wolves alone have about 30 unique datasheets. 16 or so for other main codex chapters. Another 30 for DA/BA plus Ravenwing and Deathwing. Plus all of deathwatch, so roughly 100 datasheets but probably more

Then youve got warlord traits, relics, unique special rules, 9 (?) Psychic disciplines and sets of strategems. Plus any tactical objectives if theyre still a thing. Plus unique wargear. And thats without anything on unit markings or paintschemes without going full lore.

That is one big (and dry) book. Would also be more expensive for people who only play one (unique) chapter too, HH books would be around double a codex supplement. And thats on top of a book/price increase for 'non codex' marines already

Probably great for hardcore/veteran multichapter players, not so much for newer and or mono chapter

Edited by Dark Shepherd, 19 August 2020 - 05:32 PM.

Master Sheol

Master Sheol

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,730 posts
I think that for 40k they will show the some more for Marines and necrons cause from the leaks we Know there is something to be revealed
For SM is the leaked primaria LS, the heavy intercessors, the eradicators with options, the gravis captain with heavy bolt rifle and so on
“Battles are won by courage, by standing firm in the face of overwhelming adversity, by advancing into certain death when every instinct is screaming at you to turn.”

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,745 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate

I think that for 40k they will show the some more for Marines and necrons cause from the leaks we Know there is something to be revealed
For SM is the leaked primaria LS, the heavy intercessors, the eradicators with options, the gravis captain with heavy bolt rifle and so on

Man I sure hope so. Some high quality pics and maybe rules teases would be slick!
  • mithrilforge and BladeOfVengeance like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users