Dreadnoughts for 9e

Which dreadnoughts are lookin g good this edition my stinky bloated brethren?

Levi’s I’m sure are still quite good, but they are very expensive.

Deredeos are a little cheaper and I personally like how they play along with DG.

I’m still thinking Contemptors are going to continue to be a good fit for all flavors of Chaos and I certainly plan on picking some up to add to my Army.

I haven’t had a chance to play a game yet to know how well they play.

I really like leviathans but at their cost, and to make them effective, you are looking at almost Mortarion cost.

I think contemptors will be the best fit. They are weaker than a leviathan but 1/3 the price.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

I've not used either of the Forgeworld dreads with Death Guard but Helbrutes in 9th are so much fun now. I prefer them to have Contaminated Monstrosity for the extra survivability but even without it they still ruin someones day and for only 130 points now with Twin-las. With the changes to Heavy bolters, they might actually be worth a look in on them too

A Levi is prohibitively expensive, yes, so it's only worth it to take one in a 2000 pt list. However, given the proper support (Contaminated Monstrosity, psyker casting miasma and maybe Blades of Putrefaction), and it becomes a big headache your opponent must prioritize. Add in a big blob of Plague Marines, a Daemon Prince shielded by two Plague Drones, or Deep-Striking Terminators, and now he/she has a tough choice to make.

Haven't yet played ninth, but thus far I've been very content with my Contemptors. Especially now that the double fists / hellflamers dude can get DR on top of regaining wounds for close combat kills and grill people to death while in the crunch, I like it.

Lascannons for accurate antitank probably will still continue to be quite okay, at least against imperial tanks without excessive invulnerable saves. We'll see, who knows how Inexorable Advance develops once we eventually get our new codex.

I really want to try 3 brutes with contaminated monstrosity and bellman with relic. All with lascannon and fist allthough multimeltas and heavy bolters are starting to look tasty.

It's a big shame they can't take the heavy blight launcger, tge weapon is ideal for them.

Out of interest does the contemptor box set come with the parts to make it dual wielding?

Ie: 2 lascannon, 2 assault cannon (or butcher cannon what ever we use...)

Define a set ;D

Forge World sells theirs body in one blister, arms in others. You just buy what and how many parts as you like.

The plastic kit comes with one of fist, assault cannon and multi-melta if memory serves. It's also terribly posed unless you go full on dr. Moreau on it (which is of course recommended anyway, because #ConvertEverything).

So given the changes what can we say about tactical usage?

My guess is that Contaminated Monstrosities would be best used on dreads that are aiming to get into combat.

If you are just looking to shoot perhaps hiding them would save the command point.

Also thoughts on the changes to Multimelta vs lascannons? Cos twin lascannons will now do the same number of shots with possible melta doing more damage up close

So given the changes what can we say about tactical usage?

My guess is that Contaminated Monstrosities would be best used on dreads that are aiming to get into combat.

If you are just looking to shoot perhaps hiding them would save the command point.

Also thoughts on the changes to Multimelta vs lascannons? Cos twin lascannons will now do the same number of shots with possible melta doing more damage up close

On a shooty dread you want the lascannons range. I think the +2 dmg on multimelta will only work when in half range but I dunno. On a hybrid dread I think I will go with the MM - it depends on a lot of factors. For instance are you using wormspitter? If so then the MM will be your friend. If not then I like the lascannon's str more.

So just ordered a contemptor with 2x Bolter and 2x butcher cannons (autocannons), one for anti-personnel and anti-tank.

Why'd you go heavy bolter over kheres assault cannon?

Probably because heavy bolter is going to 2 damage. 6 5S 2D shots are better at anti 2W 4T marines than 6 7S 1D. Plus more range. Unless you know something is changing on the assault cannon that I don't haha.

So just ordered a contemptor with 2x Bolter and 2x butcher cannons (autocannons), one for anti-personnel and anti-tank.

Probably because heavy bolter is going to 2 damage. 6 5S 2D shots are better at anti 2W 4T marines than 6 7S 1D. Plus more range. Unless you know something is changing on the assault cannon that I don't haha.

Why 6 shots? 2 Kheres would be 12 shots.. Yes hitting on 2s helps but even with the bonus damage, AssCan may be a more effective weapon. 

Why 6 shots? 2 Kheres would be 12 shots.. Yes hitting on 2s helps but even with the bonus damage, AssCan may be a more effective weapon.

Well same applies to heavy bolters. Two twin heavy bolters is 12 shots at 5S 2D which is better than two kheres 12 shots 7S 1D for killing T4 2W marines. I was just comparing one weapon to one weapon. Two to two is still the same. It's twin heavy bolters, that's 6 shots per arm just like kheres 6 shots per arm.

Well same applies to heavy bolters. Two twin heavy bolters is 12 shots at 5S 2D which is better than two kheres 12 shots 7S 1D for killing T4 2W marines. I was just comparing one weapon to one weapon. Two to two is still the same. It's twin heavy bolters, that's 6 shots per arm just like kheres 6 shots per arm.

That's right, I don't know why I wasn't thinking about them being twin HBs.

With the 2D flat for the HB I feel like Deredeos are really good. They have more firepower than a Contemptor, are cheaper than Leviathans, and half excellent weapon options. Give the DG strat and have them march up the board and lay waste. 

That's right, I don't know why I wasn't thinking about them being twin HBs.

With the 2D flat for the HB I feel like Deredeos are really good. They have more firepower than a Contemptor, are cheaper than Leviathans, and half excellent weapon options. Give the DG strat and have them march up the board and lay waste. 

uhhh I chose Heavy Bolter because it is more fitting to the lore. DG favored the reliable bolter and autocannons over finnicky weapons like plasma, vokite and lasers....

But yeah sure lets go with your reasons, and i am a excellent wargamer... 

Edited by Jarl Caldersson