Order of the Serrated Sun

Putting up some more pictures.

Here's a Sister Dialogus. I want to come up with a name for her that's a misunderstanding of a name like Erebus or Kor Phaeron,

A fragment of the word 'Phaeron' was discovered in relation to the birth of Saint Aurelian. It is unknown who this character is, they are not named but believed to be the the pre-unification Gyptian word referring to a 'king' or 'god', suggesting that Saint Aurelian, even in their life was a child of the emperor in spirit, as in reality this would be impossible. It is more likely that St. Aurelian had a patronage in a ruling family of Khur. The order of the Serrated sun accoringly places value on the term 'Phaeron' and ascribes the title 'Phaeron' to minor mythical figures associated with the mysterious St Aurelian, even using the title upon high ranking visitors as a means of formal deference. 

Edited by Xenith

Use the Word Bearers first logo, an open book with a flame in the centre.

Now that Guilliman has returned and is able to see the symbol of the Order for himself, and as Lord Regent, has the authority to have the Order erased from existence with no questions asked? Too risky. Best alter it slightly, e.g., replace the book with a scroll, or the flame with a sunburst.

Guilliman can't be everywhere, inspecting each bit and piece of heraldry from each fighting organization from a thousand worlds. Doesn't seem like a big risk.

Putting up some more pictures.

Here's a Sister Dialogus. I want to come up with a name for her that's a misunderstanding of a name like Erebus or Kor Phaeron,

A fragment of the word 'Phaeron' was discovered in relation to the birth of Saint Aurelian. It is unknown who this character is, they are not named but believed to be the the pre-unification Aegyptian word referring to a 'king' or 'god', suggesting that Saint Aurelian, even in their life was a child of the emperor in spirit, as in reality this would be impossible. It is more likely that St. Aurelian had a patronage in a ruling family of Khur. The order of the Serrated sun accoringly places value on the term 'Phaeron' and ascribes the title 'Phaeron' to minor mythical figures associated with the mysterious St Aurelian, even using the title upon high ranking visitors as a means of formal deference.
This is well-written, Xenith.

I replaced "Gyptian" with "Aegyptian", the M40 spelling of "Egyptian".

That's fantastic.  I'm going to definitely have to think up a set of titles that the Sisterhood creates in reference to their understanding of events.  I've already got them occasionally evoking the Custodes in memory of Aquillon, but I think they might call Canonesses Phaerons, in part as a title of humility, since being a Phaeron, in this system, means being companion to the Saint, not the Saint themselves.  The application of the term on high status visitors not of the Order/Ecclesiarchy would similarly invite them to share in that sacred experience of witnessing and partaking in the miraculous.

So far as the purging goes, I do run them with Celestine reasonably often, so presumably she's given them the approval, which, if push comes to shove and there's time, she could vouch for them.  (And be very confused by the whole thing.)  Honestly, I think it would be more trouble than it would be worth for Guilliman to purge them, since it would mean directly meddling in Ecclesiarchal affairs and he's on thin ice with them as it is.  Since it's an Order with a pretty good reputation, he'd have to invent charges so as not to spill the beans, but then he'd also have to eliminate the cult of St. Aurelian.  He could do it, but it would require a lot of work, whereas by just ignoring it, no questions are raised.  Granted, I'm biased.

Also a side note, since I have a feeling it's going to come up:

Why Ghost references and the odd satanic icon?

One, I just happen to use Ghost to get me in the headspace for the Order visually so I wanted to give a shout-out.  In addition to that, I'm also trying to capture some of what a person in the know in the Imperium would feel looking at this stuff.  Not the average person, mind you, but an Inquisitor, etc.  They'd look at the iconography and notice that something was off, so the idea here is that we don't inhabit the same symbolic register, but little things like inverted crosses can help get us an inkling of that "wait... something's wrong here" feeling someone from the 40k universe might get as they looked at the Sisters of the Serrated Sun.  There's also an extra layer of irony here, since things like the pentagram and the inverted cross actually pop up in early Christian imagery, with the pentagram or pentacle representing the five wounds of Christ or something like that, and the inverted cross being a symbol of Peter.  So here, they're claiming that some of the symbols the traitors use are actually archaic Imperial symbols.  Of course, anything they're using is sort of an incidental symbol since anything with real Chaos meaning seems to literally be painful to look at.

The application of the term [Phaeron] on high status visitors not of the Order/Ecclesiarchy would similarly invite them to share in that sacred experience of witnessing and partaking in the miraculous.

I was just imagining Rouboute's eye twitch if he ever visited and they called him "Phaeron Guilliman".

Edited by Xenith

"Why are you so angered by this, my Lord Primarch? We just seek to bring enlightenment to the galaxy, as Saint Aurelian once did!"

Maybe as a tongue-in-cheek reference to the Word Bearers, your Celestians can be the Warriors of the Ashen Circle, who daub themselves in the ash of Khur, in memory of the martyrs who fell there?

Also a side note, since I have a feeling it's going to come up:

Why Ghost references and the odd satanic icon?

One, I just happen to use Ghost to get me in the headspace for the Order visually so I wanted to give a shout-out.  In addition to that, I'm also trying to capture some of what a person in the know in the Imperium would feel looking at this stuff.  Not the average person, mind you, but an Inquisitor, etc.  They'd look at the iconography and notice that something was off, so the idea here is that we don't inhabit the same symbolic register, but little things like inverted crosses can help get us an inkling of that "wait... something's wrong here" feeling someone from the 40k universe might get as they looked at the Sisters of the Serrated Sun.  There's also an extra layer of irony here, since things like the pentagram and the inverted cross actually pop up in early Christian imagery, with the pentagram or pentacle representing the five wounds of Christ or something like that, and the inverted cross being a symbol of Peter.  So here, they're claiming that some of the symbols the traitors use are actually archaic Imperial symbols.  Of course, anything they're using is sort of an incidental symbol since anything with real Chaos meaning seems to literally be painful to look at.

If you're referring to the inverted cross on the image on the top Rhino hatch: That's not even a satanic icon, that's the Cross of Saint Peter mate :laugh.:. It's also not just "early Christian imagery", the Cross of Saint Peter is still used today :yes:

To be honest, I love that it's being used here because the Cross of Saint Peter is an IRL version of what this Sister order is: People not knowing what historical theological things they're looking mean and just going with their own (hilariously incorrect) interpretation :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

Working on my Triumph of St. Katherine, but I can't decide on colors for the members of the procession.  It's gotten me thinking about exactly what the Order of the Serrated Sun is since I think it's sort of in the domain of an Order Pronatus, albeit one of a very militant bent.  I'm thinking they were constituted initially to handle the site and texts, but given the nature of things, had to deal with a lot of Chaos interest and so ended up being much more of a frontline force than would normally be the case, which is why they end up fighting Orks and the Death Guard on a surprisingly regular basis.

Anyway, that aside, any idea what to paint the Pronatus robes in?

• 2 weeks later...

Related, I'm thinking of trying to do a battle sanctum. I want to use something like this as the stained glass: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/ad/9f/70ad9f22a918b762d9c6610869213890.jpg

Any ideas how to get that onto a transparent medium? I don't trust my painting skills.

Also, how would you do a miniature version of Papa Emeritus?

Of course, I'll also have to do some panels of St. Aurelian of Khur, the Blessed Lady, the Last Angel, and, of course, their Custodes companions.

Bjorn, the thing that got me to go with the neon hair colors in the first place was that I decided to give Celestine lilac hair and red eyes because of how she keeps coming back...

I love the concept!

You can save that on a USB and take it to any print center and get it printed on transparency paper for a couple of dollars (US); Staples, FedEx, Office Depot/Max, Alpha Graphics, etc.  It would also be laser print, which means you don't have to worry about the print getting messed up or smearing because of water or sweat.

I recommend you figure out what size you want, and have it ready as a PDF at that size.  The staff at print centers are going to have a huge range of difference on their knowledge when it comes to resizing images for printing, even (perhaps especially) when they might have like 10 different software tools to do so.  It helps them a lot to have a file they can just plug in and print, and only need to change the paper settings.  Some locations and companies will only work with a file that is ready to print.

As for the "Heresy", the only obvious heresy would be that they are uncomfortably close to the actual truth...but there is so much "+++REDACTED+++" in Imperial history, they could easily go a thousand years before anyone who actually knows that history notices.   The galaxy is a big place, and there are probably 1000's of orders or sisters or more. There are trillions of humans, just on a single hive world.  The Ecclesiarchy itself can't police them all, and doesn't even really try until they find actual evidence of heresy, even when they assume there is heresy... As for the Lord Commander...well, he has a crusade and an Imperium to run.

Edited by Surreal Cruelty