Tales of Darkness - BL submissions from 19th to 31st of Oct

Black Library is again accepting submissions from writers, this year it seems it is related with their Horror series.

You will be able to submit your entries from 19th to 31st of October.

Check the post from Warhammer Community for more details:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/19/we-want-your-tales-of-darkness/

Last year I wasn't picked with my squad of guardsmen, perhaps this year with something more sinister it will work.

Lets see :)

Oh man I have been wanting to write a horror story about a band of chaos cultists being pursued by something :cussing terrifying and it ending in a scene of a dreadhost custodes slaughtering them all in brutal fashion.

It's not revealed till the very end it's custodes or even that the perspective is from cultists, just humans fleeing in abject terror the haunting form of a custodes dreadnaught smashing through everything to end their lives.

It's not revealed till the very end it's custodes or even that the perspective is from cultists, just humans fleeing in abject terror the haunting form of a custodes dreadnaught smashing through everything to end their lives.

Umm... you just did?

Spoiling the outline for the story here is fine. I need to write the actual story though ya goof.

• 1 month later...

Reading the article, unless I'm blind it doesn't say how to submit? Neither have previous years articles. Maybe I'm just missing it?

There will likely be a second article with the place to submit the stories, at least that was what happened last year, one informing submissions would start soon and another with the actual link to a google form for submission.

I suppose the article should appear tomorrow on Warhammer Community. I have my story ready, so I really hope they don't forget about it :)

Reading the article, unless I'm blind it doesn't say how to submit? Neither have previous years articles. Maybe I'm just missing it?

There will likely be a second article with the place to submit the stories, at least that was what happened last year, one informing submissions would start soon and another with the actual link to a google form for submission.

I suppose the article should appear tomorrow on Warhammer Community. I have my story ready, so I really hope they don't forget about it :)

I've got a piece I'm just finishing up, possibly able to submit next weekend. I've heard BL aren't exactly the greatest when it comes to things like this, but worth a go right?

Edit: Many thanks for the submission info by the way. Sets my mind at ease somewhat.

Edited by G8Keeper

Definitely nothing to loose here.

We had (as far as I remember) two fellow fraters who made it at least one round further and one who actually got to write for BL.

Such "contests" are a great way to join the ranks. Many of the current set up joined this way. Heads up and go for it!

I'm not familiar enough with horror to get something done. Fingers crossed for you, guys. :)

Definitely nothing to loose here.

We had (as far as I remember) two fellow fraters who made it at least one round further and one who actually got to write for BL.

Such "contests" are a great way to join the ranks. Many of the current set up joined this way. Heads up and go for it!

I'm not familiar enough with horror to get something done. Fingers crossed for you, guys. :smile.:

Yup, there is no harm in trying. I'm actually ready to submit my entry soon as submissions open. Good luck everyone!

Just out of curiosity - what's the average page count of a Warhammer Horror Story?

Based on the few examples on Black Library mentioned on the article and the time of the audio versions, I would guess they should be mostly in the range of 200-350 pages.

That's novel length, though. They are explicitly asking for short stories so I would say somewhere between 30 and 50 pages is reasonable.

Just out of curiosity - what's the average page count of a Warhammer Horror Story?

The House of Night and Chain 80K words
Sepulturum 57K words
Dark Harvest 81K words
Oubliette, The 70K words
The Wicked and the Damned (three novellas) 91K words

If you meant short stories (what the submission is asking for) they average around 7K words.
Edited by theSpirea