Tales of Darkness - BL submissions from 19th to 31st of Oct

If nothing else comes of this submission period, it's got me writing again for the first time since school and I blooming love it! I guess thank you GW.

I've actually entered a few writing competitions since lockdown. I haven't come anywhere but I enjoyed it. There's a writers center near me and on its website it lists all kinds of online competitions. Maybe there might be something similar near worth looking into if you enjoy it

Horror isn't normally my thing, but I think I came up with something apropos to the setting. Horror is a great way to portray the true grimdark nature of the WH40K setting. I'm skeptical of my chances, but my fingers are crossed. I didn't really have a strong story idea until a couple of days ago, and I wanted to get it submitted before BL shuts the submission period down (the 31st is just the latest - they might close it earlier if they get too many entries). Good luck to everyone else that enters!

I've submitted my thing - a mix of psychological and cosmic horror. Shame they only let you pick one category.

Doubt it'll get anywhere - it was very hard for me to actually fit in the 500 words limit. My first try came up with over a thousand words, so had to cut my story in half basically.

I did win a writing contest in primary school so I might have a chance! (the last time I've ever written something that's not a corporate email or a school essay)

I've submitted my thing - a mix of psychological and cosmic horror. Shame they only let you pick one category.

Doubt it'll get anywhere - it was very hard for me to actually fit in the 500 words limit. My first try came up with over a thousand words, so had to cut my story in half basically.

I did win a writing contest in primary school so I might have a chance! (the last time I've ever written something that's not a corporate email or a school essay)

Unless I misunderstand you seem to imply that your story is 500 words (cut down from 1000)? They only wanted a 500 word sample and are expecting it to be from a “normal” length short story, so approx 6-8k words.

Welp, submitted pretty much last minute - managed to get quite far last time so lets see how this goes.

What does “quite far” mean? Would you be able to share your experience of the process as far as you made it? I’m curious what each “phase” of the process looks like etc...

I can't speak for getting "quite far" but the one year I made it through the first round of review I recall it taking months to receive word. They did not ask for additional materials, but instead further scrutinized the initial pitch and sample. It took an even longer span of time to receive word that I didn't make it to the third phase and I have no idea what that entails.

I'll try to pull up my old mails and notes from back when I first did it - once real iife allows for it but its pretty much as Dumah says, its a whole lot of waiting and eventually you hear in which phase you dropped out.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post, but check your emails everyone!

Just got notified I am advancing to the second round of the story contest. They gave some pretty detailed feedback on the story itself and requested a synopsis and another 500-1000 words, submitted within the next two weeks.

Good luck all! This is the first time I have submitted to a short story contest and I am excited to have made it out of the first slush stage :)