Random Loadout Questions

YoungWolf7

First time poster (in the Ork subforum), recent reader. :) (I usually hang out in the WIP modelling forum.)

I'm mostly a collector/converter/painter. I haven't played 40K outside of a couple of games back in 5th/6th ed. However, I vastly prefer to have my models game legal and competitive if possible. Just in the off chance I find someone local to play with...

In that vein, I'm currently building and magnetizing 2 Deff Dreads. Scanning through most of the topics, I've only found one reference to Dread loadouts, and that was either klaw/saw or klaw/skorcha. With the new changes in 9th would that still be valid? Shooting in melee being an option now seems to me like big shootas might be viable now.

And similarly, Kans. 6 of mine were second hand and built with everything but skorchas. I know Grotzookas were big before 8th, might be making a comeback in 9th? Kans also seem to be the best bet to fire rokkits from as they have a 4+ instead of a 5+ like everything else.

I have more questions, but I'll start there. Any input would be most welcome.

Hello and welcome to the greenest subforum on the B&C!

Deff dreads still really like the skorcha, though Deathskulls might want a Kustom Mega Blasta to make use of their re-rolls. Personally, I'd want to keep the thing cheap, so I'd probably just opt for the klaw/saw loadout, but would consider the KMB if Deathskull. Big Shootas, while cheap, aren't very good guns, and I'd rather have an extra attack in melee (with the AP and extra damage) over a few S5 shots.

Regarding Killa Kans, I agree that rokkits is my favorite weapon to consider on them, but Grotzookas could be back, thanks to vehicles no longer suffering the heavy penalty. I'd still go rokkits, because AP and damage.

Back with another round of questions. My plan all along has been to run Bad Moons. I like the paint scheme. :biggrin.:

Right now, I have the following built:

• Grot Mob - 30 Gretchin, 3 Runtherds + Da Red Gobbo!
  • Ork ('Ardboyz) Boyz Mob (30)- Nob w/kombi-skorcha & saw, 3 Big Shootas, 27 Slugga/Choppa
  • Ork Boyz Mob (20) - Nob w/Slugga/Choppa, 2 Big Shootas, 17 Shootas
  • Ork Boyz Mob (20) - Nob w/Slugga/Choppa, 2 Big Shootas, 17 Shootas
  • Ork Boyz Mob (11) - Nob w/Slugga/Saw, 1 Big Shoota, 9 Slugga/Choppa
  • Ork Boyz Mob (11) - Nob w/Big Choppa, 1 Big Shoota, 9 Slugga/Choppa
  • Ork Meks (2) w/KMS/Choppa
  • Burna Boyz (8)
  • Lootas (19)

The idea with the 11 man Boyz mobs is to pile them in a Trukk along with a Mek to hopefully keep the Trukk intact long enough to deliver the payload.

The 20 man Boyz w/ Shootas were intended for riding in Battle Wagons. The 'Ardboyz (made from Gorkamorka era metal Nobz) were footsloggers to clog up the middle.

Now I have enough bodies & bitz to build at least 40 more Boyz. Should I add to existing mobs or start making more smaller mobs? I hear 9th might be going back to the MSU days with the blast weapon rules. Do I need to mix up what I currently have?

I can build 16 more Burna Boyz for a total of 24. Again the intent was to dump them in Trukks and fly forward to cause mayhem. Worthwhile?

I just picked up a lot of 60 Stormboyz in a trade. :huh.: Dunno if I'll keep them all or not. Do they need Zagstruk to be worth anything?

I also have a few actual Tankbustas. Is it worth it to convert some of the Boyz to make a mob or two?

More to come. Thanks again for all of the input so far!

Edited by YoungWolf7

I apologize, I read it on my phone and wanted to respond from my PC. And you know how things like that go... I just forgot, but the topic was marked as read.

Anywho!

In regards to MSU vs. Large Mobs, I don't actually think Blast is that big of a deal. The fact is it only slightly increases the average damage done for most weapons, and it seems they pay a points premium for the privilege. Instead, I'm more concered with how plentiful S4, Ap-1 or 0 shooting is. With a painboy and a KFF, large mobs may be survivable enough, but I don't know yet. I do know that small units of boys didn't excite me in 8th, so I'm hesitant to believe they'll be the bees knees in 9th. But you can put ten boys in a truck for like 145 points, and that might be a unit that sits on objectives well. We'll have to see how the meta develops, as the ebb-and-flow of the pandemic allows more games to occur.

I would suggest rounding out your boys to have an even number of both choppa boys and shoota boys, so you're never in a place where you feel you need one or the other. I would also suggest making a rokkit boy for each mob; if you ever run Deathskulls (for comp, say), it might be nice to have one really strong shot to use those re-rolls on.

I don't like Burna Boys, but if I was going to use them, in a trukk, thrown forward for maximum mayhem is how I'd think to use them. Advance the trukk, laugh as you ignore the to-hit penalty, and hope you don't roll a 1 on the number of shots.

Storm boys are a pricier, but faster, boy. You also lose the bonus attack for having over 20 models, as well as ObSec. But they are so, so quick, and come with Deep Strike built in. I'd prefer the cheaper kommando unit for the "deep strike 5 to sit on objectives/complete secondaries" role, and at their price, you're not going to want to use them to "body-block" by sitting on objectives, so it's all about using them to quickly tie up enemy units. Currently, I'm not going to call them a top-pick, but I don't think throwing large mobs of them on the table and sprinting across is necessarily a bad choice. Without the Evil Sunz's +1" to charge, I wouldn't risk deep striking and trying to charge from 9" away.

Bad Moons Tankbustas are insanely good. Do it.

Thanks again toaae. Definitely food for thought. I never even considered mixing shoota and choppa boyz in the same unit. Offhand it feels like a "jack of all trades, master of none" idea, but I can see the logic behind it. Hmmmm. :)

Thanks again toaae. Definitely food for thought. I never even considered mixing shoota and choppa boyz in the same unit. Offhand it feels like a "jack of all trades, master of none" idea, but I can see the logic behind it. Hmmmm. :smile.:

The idea is, the shootas provide some shots at range, but you pull casualties from them first (most of the time), leaving the choppas to hopefully have enough attacks to do something.

With Bad Moons, I'd probably lean towards much more shoota heavy, but a 2:1 ratio wouldn't hurt. Boys want to be in combat, no matter the clan.