What Are Orks Afraid Of?

Dumah

Everything and everyone is afraid of something, so what might Orks be afraid of? They love to fight, and they don't fear injury or death (so they say) and love to make noise and visit death and destruction on others (and themselves). So would they fear stillness and quiet? Or boredom? Maybe they're afraid of weakness or the appearance of such; could we call that a fear of failure?

I want to hear your thoughts! Inside the box, outside of it, underneath it... I'm looking for answers better than "nuffin".

Whilst reading through the Codex I read that a Rival Ork warlord looked on with “Horror” as Ghaz cut through his Elite guards Like paper... so I guess orks might be afraid of losing... not losing in the sense of a fair fight but losing pathetically... Looking like a weedy grot perhaps ?!...

Mithril

With the mob mentality that Orks have, I would expect losing face in front of other Orks would be a real concern for them. I agree with Mithril here. I expect Nobs like a good scrap but are always looking out for some other Ork besting them in a fight, or worse, whacking them on the noggin when they aren't looking and taking control of their mob.

Whilst reading through the Codex I read that a Rival Ork warlord looked on with “Horror” as Ghaz cut through his Elite guards Like paper... so I guess orks might be afraid of losing... not losing in the sense of a fair fight but losing pathetically... Looking like a weedy grot perhaps ?!...

Mithril

I think you're on to something here. Could be that having all of your strength count for nothing is akin to existential crisis for an Ork. Or as Magos Takatus suggests, losing without any chance to fight. If might makes right, and you can't use your might, then you can't be right...

Mithril

I think you're on to something here. Could be that having all of your strength count for nothing is akin to existential crisis for an Ork. Or as Magos Takatus suggests, losing without any chance to fight. If might makes right, and you can't use your might, then you can't be right...

It's definitely this. Orks don't care about losing, so long as they get a good fight out of it. The win or the lose isn't the important part, but they have to properly fight. If they just get effortlessly taken apart? That's not fun, that's them actually properly losing! This also goes into why Yarrick is so terrifying for the general Ork population, but he's Ghazzy's "best friend". To the boyz, Yarrick is untouchable, every time they go up against him he takes them apart effortlessly, and is a weak human displaying Ork-like traits. To Ghazghkull though, given their fighting is a bit more distanced, operating on a more strategic level, he's still able to enjoy it. The Orks overall are able to get enough wins to make him still a challenge to be overcome, not a terrifying harbinger of destruction.

Ork mentality seems to change with age. As an ork survives and grows fear of not looking like a git in front of the boys graduates to fearing loss of flash kit and your bag o teef. Later on some orks begin to wear armor demonstrating a fear of the results of a properly violent orkish lifestyle. Finally some real odd fears pop up in the oldest members of the species like losing opportunity for legacy, fear of dissapointing Gork and Mork, and fear of particular enemies. Its not quite how humies do it but the orkish way has its charms