Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What Are Orks Afraid Of?

orks lore

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Dumah

Dumah

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 627 posts

Everything and everyone is afraid of something, so what might Orks be afraid of? They love to fight, and they don't fear injury or death (so they say) and love to make noise and visit death and destruction on others (and themselves). So would they fear stillness and quiet? Or boredom? Maybe they're afraid of weakness or the appearance of such; could we call that a fear of failure?

I want to hear your thoughts! Inside the box, outside of it, underneath it... I'm looking for answers better than "nuffin".

I write things:

What Chapter Am I: A Fan Fiction Guessing Game

The Squiggly Beast that Could

Orks Iz Best

Beakiez iz okay, too...

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

++ SECTURATOR BIPENNIFER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,814 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Running out of red paint.

Running out of dakka.

Pacifism.

The enemy surrendering before they can have a good scrap.

Falling asleep while the Dok is around.

Being so weedy that he is mistaken for a grot.
  • Ldorte, Kierdale and Imren like this

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,113 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech
Whilst reading through the Codex I read that a Rival Ork warlord looked on with “Horror” as Ghaz cut through his Elite guards Like paper... so I guess orks might be afraid of losing... not losing in the sense of a fair fight but losing pathetically... Looking like a weedy grot perhaps ?!...

Mithril
  • Dumah and Kierdale like this

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,262 posts

With the mob mentality that Orks have, I would expect losing face in front of other Orks would be a real concern for them. I agree with Mithril here. I expect Nobs like a good scrap but are always looking out for some other Ork besting them in a fight, or worse, whacking them on the noggin when they aren't looking and taking control of their mob.

• Dumah and Kierdale like this

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! smile.png

My Adeptus Mechanicus Ploghttp://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Ploghttp://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

gallery_48988_15465_6059.png

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,436 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Yarrick.
  • Magos Takatus, Dumah and Kierdale like this

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpggallery_48988_15094_4929.pnggallery_62972_14467_2702.jpggallery_48988_15094_2403.pnggallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels | Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:0
1250 Death Company List (jump) W:0 D:0 L:0
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:2 Dreadnought List W:2 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:0 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:1 Two Towers List W:0 D:0 L:0
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0 | Heresy 2500 Mechanised IXth W:2 D:1 L:0

Dumah

Dumah

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 627 posts

Whilst reading through the Codex I read that a Rival Ork warlord looked on with “Horror” as Ghaz cut through his Elite guards Like paper... so I guess orks might be afraid of losing... not losing in the sense of a fair fight but losing pathetically... Looking like a weedy grot perhaps ?!...

Mithril

I think you're on to something here. Could be that having all of your strength count for nothing is akin to existential crisis for an Ork. Or as Magos Takatus suggests, losing without any chance to fight. If might makes right, and you can't use your might, then you can't be right...

• mithrilforge, Lord_Caerolion, Gederas and 1 other like this

I write things:

Orks Iz Best

Beakiez iz okay, too...

Machine God

Machine God

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,347 posts
  • Faction: Scions of Ferrus

All their Teef falling out!

"Borg to the Max!" "Destroy All Flesh!"

gallery_29004_6198_9307.png sml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.png gallery_29004_10383_6245.pnggallery_48988_6285_18080.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei02.gifgallery_48988_15465_969.pnggallery_48988_15465_5172.png

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

-James Nicoll

Wulf Vengis

Wulf Vengis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,127 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
There is some validity to the Yarrick claim.
The Lone Wolf Saga or The Lone Wolf Saga
XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: Orlath83

mactire

mactire

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,277 posts
  • Faction: vlka fenryka

Bigger Orks.

• MegaVolt87 and MetalMammoth like this

I recognise my failing and will be sure to correct it
gallery_24878_5332_50483.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013B.gifgallery_29004_6198_8099.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_1994.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_Medal_05.gifgallery_29004_10383_1937.pnggallery_29004_10383_927.pnggallery_29004_10383_4142.pngsml_gallery_69091_12729_9262.pnggallery_17224_3229_261.gifgallery_17224_3068_410.gifgallery_17224_3068_874.pnggallery_17224_3068_108.gifgallery_24878_5332_150.gif

Lord_Caerolion

Lord_Caerolion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,223 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Sobek

Mithril

I think you're on to something here. Could be that having all of your strength count for nothing is akin to existential crisis for an Ork. Or as Magos Takatus suggests, losing without any chance to fight. If might makes right, and you can't use your might, then you can't be right...

It's definitely this. Orks don't care about losing, so long as they get a good fight out of it. The win or the lose isn't the important part, but they have to properly fight. If they just get effortlessly taken apart? That's not fun, that's them actually properly losing! This also goes into why Yarrick is so terrifying for the general Ork population, but he's Ghazzy's "best friend". To the boyz, Yarrick is untouchable, every time they go up against him he takes them apart effortlessly, and is a weak human displaying Ork-like traits. To Ghazghkull though, given their fighting is a bit more distanced, operating on a more strategic level, he's still able to enjoy it. The Orks overall are able to get enough wins to make him still a challenge to be overcome, not a terrifying harbinger of destruction.

• Dumah and MetalMammoth like this

"And then Horus landed on the Moon, which looked like the moon. Funny that, isn't it?"

You're hired.

tychobi

tychobi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 610 posts
Ork mentality seems to change with age. As an ork survives and grows fear of not looking like a git in front of the boys graduates to fearing loss of flash kit and your bag o teef. Later on some orks begin to wear armor demonstrating a fear of the results of a properly violent orkish lifestyle. Finally some real odd fears pop up in the oldest members of the species like losing opportunity for legacy, fear of dissapointing Gork and Mork, and fear of particular enemies. Its not quite how humies do it but the orkish way has its charms😉
  • Dumah likes this

Kill Maim Destroy

PJ1933

PJ1933

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,119 posts

Armies with 2++ ?

it's no fun krumpin when da other git just laughs at your bestest krump 

• Dumah likes this

Dumah

Dumah

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 627 posts

Armies with 2++ ?

it's no fun krumpin when da other git just laughs at your bestest krump

Den yu just krump em again, even 'arder til dey iz ded!
  • PJ1933 likes this

I write things:

Orks Iz Best

Beakiez iz okay, too...

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,545 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Bigger Orks.

Its hard to say whats worse, a horde of average sized orks or half as many but they are stupidly large instead.
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 232 posts

Yeah, some of you found the best answer. The others aren't wrong either biggrin.png

Their greatest fear is a pathetic loss. After all, orks CAN be demoralized and routed. I thik it's part of their pre-programmed, instinctual war-making ability; They were made to be living weapons after all.

They will merrily throw temselves at the enemy and die in droves, so long as it at least looks like they're achieving something with it, but when their deaths at the hands of the enemy truly gain nothing, they will flee;

Note however, if escape looks impossible, they WILL turn back around just as quickly, and charge into their own deaths - after all, they might just get a slim chance of achieving something, and they'll die anyway.

Of course the orks themselves don't even think about why do they do so. It just happens.

Very well described in Ciaphas Cain: Death or Glory, and several other works.

Unless they are madboyz, because if they're feeling particularly crazy, their greatest fear might be anything the dice lands on, such as a certain colour, small woodland critters, or noisy machines.

My edit after Your edit:

Admin friend! That "problematic word" was in the original description of this behaviour, in an old Madboy rule.

Edited by MetalMammoth, 29 August 2020 - 05:31 PM.
replaced a potentially problematic word

• Dumah likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: orks, lore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users