Aeri's Dark Angels Army Showcase

Aeri

Hey everybody :)

Thought I'd share some pics of my growing Dark Angels force and maybe get some useful tips and tricks from you guys!

I had some troubles uploading to the gallery, so here are some Imgur links instead:

http://imgur.com/gallery/YARN2ZR

https://imgur.com/gallery/Hc7PAXT

I took some freedom and painted the sergeants heads red (except for my hellblasters for reasons unknown ;) ).

Also I use Roman numerals to indicate the number of squads and vehicles in the chapter.

Looking forward to your comments :)

Edited by Aeri

They look great.

I have found the best way to post images here at B&C is to upload them to your B&C gallery and post from there.

It makes them easier to look through than links.

If you are using mobile view you may need to switch to full view to make it easier to upload.

On my phone when I go into my phone gallery and select an image to upload it tells me the size of the image at the bottom of the image. I didn’t notice it the first few times it’s very small. When I press that notification it gives me the option to change the image size from full size to large medium or small. I hope that helps.

It seems like I have to do it manually one by one :/

I will post the pictures whenever I find time to edit and upload them, starting with my Impulsors:

gallery_222895_16560_1206720.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_1184338.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_960377.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_505181.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_351481.jpg

Every wargear option is magnetized. Here and there there are still some minor to do's. Haven't finished the heavy stubber for example.

But it's getting there.

Fun fact: I had a major issue with purity seal on one of them and had to remove the varnish on one of them without damaging the paintjob (too much). Had to make some minor repairs and reapply decals, whoever I think I managed to save the model quite well, since I cannot tell which one was the damaged one anymore ;)

Edited by Aeri

Got to upload the next badge of pictures, this time the Executioner.
Like with the Impulsors, everything is magnetized.
The decals look worse on the photos than they look in real life. Guess it's the light of my flash.
Do you think I have too much green? Should I use more metal colors for the smaller details (e.g. the steps on the site etc.)?

gallery_222895_16560_1493086.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_1301129.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_1448403.jpg

aaaaand my 2 Invictor Tactical Warsuits.

Love the model, think it fits the jungle/stealth /guerilla style of phobos marines perfectly.

As you see my models all have a "factory new" look, as weathering a painted model is a big leap of faith for me. A wrong move and your weathering might just ruin everything.

However, the Dark Angels decal of my second warsuit broke and I hat no replacement. I therefore decided to drill some holes and make it look like the warsuit got hit a few times. Not sure if I like it, as it doesn't fit the overall clean look of my primaris force.

gallery_222895_16560_909024.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_1419221.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_488793.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_1295676.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_297878.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_1539382.jpg

How do you like the black stripe on the warsuits and the executioner? Didn't put anything like that on my impulsors and I kinda regret the inconsistency. I just couldnt find the perfekt spot for a stripe like that on the impulsors.

Edited by Aeri

Great work! Your green is excellent and really consistent. I can see why you're asking about the steps I think if you keep them green some weathering would help because you'd assume they'd get a lot of use, making them metallic suggests they're a more utilitarian part of the vehicle which also makes sense, it would also break up the bulk.

The invictor suits are some of the best I've seen. They are one of those divisive sculpts that people tend to love or hate, you've really brought them to life!

Lunch break and a few spare minutes to upload some more pictures :)

These guys are actually the first primaris I painted. The picture is quite vibrant, they are not that green in real life and actually fit the other units quite well. However, the plasma effect is mediocre and the sergeants don't have the red helmets yet, so the look a little different.

gallery_222895_16560_1344349.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_804942.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_158356.jpg

Lovely shade of green you have there. It really elevates the look of your army and particulary fits the vehicles. 

Concerning uploading the pics to the B&C. I just open the pictures in Paint, resize it to a more usefull size (usually 20% of the original size), save and upload to the gallery.

Thanks for all the positive replies guys, really appreciate it!

Up next: my Dark Angels themed imperial knight.

I painted it long before I had an airbrush. For the transitions I spent hours upon hours of very light drybrushing.

gallery_222895_16560_308558.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_186780.jpg

Also: it's fully magnetized. I made a video while I was working on it a few years ago:

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I would have kept the doors and the lights ;)

I remember the dozer blades actually had rules and costed like 5 pts or something like that. I therefore magnetized them so I can take them off if I want to. That was a waste :D

• 1 month later...

New addition to the force incoming.

I don't know if I like the black. For a chaplain it works, but somehow I feel like I want green bikes for my primaris force.

What do you guys think? Would you be throwing rocks at me if I painted them green?

(Like the Deathwing color though, so will most likely paint anything Deathwing in bone :D )

The issue with black is, that painting a good looking black model is actually really hard. You cannot just put crazy highlights everywhere because the model will become too light and look grey instead of black.

I also tried to give the book an old leather look,not sure it worked though.

gallery_222895_16560_454555.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_838346.jpg

gallery_222895_16560_388933.jpg

Ps: I forgot my good brushes at my parents place after the last mega game session, so I bought some cheap ones from my local hobby store (1€). Never again. I spent half an hour to pick the brush with the best tip and it lost it after dipping it in paint the first time. I thought spending 20€ on a decent paintbrush is a little overboard. Turns out it's money well spent.

Will never go for a cheap brush ever again.

Edited by Aeri

What do you guys think about painting both RW and DW in bone colour?

The idea is that my army would consist of a (green) core force as the backbone of my Dark Angels force. The bone colour would I do are special tactics units, so both Deathwing an Ravenwing.

Inner circle would be marked with a set of decals (not yet decided which one).

The chaplains would stay black, techmarines red and apothecaries white.

• 1 month later...