Aggressors and Ultra in 9th

Prot

I have a 3 pack of these guys I haven't built yet.

Every time I build these guys I default to the Boltstorms. But we now know that the flamers are definitely going out to 12" range. That's pretty cool for something that is moving/shooting twice with Ultra's, and makes the choice a little tougher. Not to mention the overwatch potential.

I also like that this makes the flamers a better 'reserve' choice, coming in off an edge and making a dent in something. 

To me the flamers also offer something attractive to me: the ability to operate a little more independently than the Boltstorm variant. That is to say, you're not as reliant on a 'to hit' aura as the Boltstorm variant.

What do you guys think?

The 12” range is a bit of a game changer for these guys, I have 6 flamers and 3 bolter aggressors and I never got much use out of the flamer chaps before. Like you say the independence of not needing a “to hit” aura makes them extremely useful to be an excellent harassment unit. The only downside is that a savvy opponent with a fast moving army may be able to avoid them or block their outflank. I would look to shove them up the middle of the board into range of an important objective and be prepared to use transhuman physiology as necessary!