Grey Knight character conversions

Skywrath

So after looking for a suitable replacement for a Terminator-Chaplain model, and not finding a suitable candidate, looks like I'm going to be doing some kit bashing and converting some characters from other chapters into Grey Knights.

Regarding a GK Chaplain..Is their armor still silver? And fluff/game-play wise, would I need to have a skull helmet to depict them as chaplains, or could I use a GK terminator head and call it a day? And if I were to go with a skull helmet, where would I find one, readily on eBay? And from what kit?

The general idea is, I would be using a Deathwing Knight-Master Torso, with the Deathwing Knight-Master Legs/Back, glue the GK arms/shoulders onto him with one arm having a shortened nemesis stave as a crozius, and the other having the storm-bolter. Then paint his armor either black or silver and give him GK iconography such as the shields/purity seals, that paladin banner on the back. The only real question is whether that would be a legal conversion for tournaments?

The other question I have is, what other characters do GK's have, which the codex-complaint chapters have, but they have different colour schemes/GK iconography, that I should be mindful for?

Edited by Skywrath

You can use any Chaplin in terminator armor to represent a GK Chaplain. The 8ed codex shows the limited edition chaplain but yeah that’s an older model. I’m using the pewter one with grey knight arms.

Color wise iirc there was mention that they wore black armor in a Black Library book but the codex again shows them as silver. Mine will be silver as the GK are not codex compliant anyways.

Skull helmet would signify chaplain very quickly but if you used the robed head from the DA terminator box that could work too. Skull helmets are easy to find now. Reivers are the go to for skull helmets currently. I used night lord terror squad head for a Mk4 10th co Chaplain in my Raptors Chapter marines.

The model you are describing should be legal as there is no plastic terminator chaplain available.

The codex compliant chapters have Red armored techmarines. White armored apothecaries, blue armored librarians, black armored chaplains. Grey knights are not codex compliant so everyone is painted the same. My tech marine has more red then other models but that is to signify his worship of the machine god. The apothecary will have white apothecary bits but rest silver. Librarians and chaplain silver

Thanks, brother. What about just using a normal GK terminator head, would that work?

The robed head is a consideration, as I can't seem to find any reiver heads/skull helmets on eBay by themselves. Ideally, I'd want the primaris chaplain head, but I'm not sure whether that would fit in a terminator body. Then there is also matter whether I should use the DA legs, or fish out some GK legs, and try force-fitting them with the robe. And then I'm not sure about how well that'd fit, pose wise.

Regarding the other characters - so silver all the way, thanks for clarifying that!

The Primaris chaplain would work once you cut the nub off the flex seal. Plus that would give you a croizus.

I would avoid using a gk head as it could be mistaken as a librarian.