"Fixing" Obliterator Models

SyNidus

I'm not a fan of the overly fleshy look of the new obliterators.

The models look great, I just want there to be less flesh/skin showing - this isn't the beach or a roller rink!

Other than using other models, how do i model armoured plating in place of the exposed thighs and biceps??

And if you have any pictures of someone who has done that, please share them. Thanks!

I'm using the Necromunda Ambot models as a base for my Obliterators, personally. Now, I'll be designing and 3D printing the components to alter them opposed to turning to the bits box, so my version of this solution isn't exactly straight forward, but a creative converter with a decent bits box could likely come up with something I would think.

What about painting it as living metal or just painting the flesh the same colour as the armour? So rather that have fleshy exposed areas make it look like the armour is taking on flesh qualities which was common at one point with chaos where champions would merge with their armour.

I used to dislike them too, a lot. Was thinking about painting the flesh metallic, or black like the armor, or...

Turns out what I mostly didn’t like was the official paint scheme, as seen in the codex.

I painted mine according to the Warhammer TV obliterator flesh guide found on YouTube, and honestly I think they turned out great! So now I use that guide for all fleshy models in my Black Legion army (daemon prince, greater possessed, helbrute, mutations here and there...)

After picking up the new oblits I also decided I didn't like their fleshyness. Wish I had a great conversation story for them, but I don't. I sold mine and modified some centurions I had laying around lol.

I did that and while I like the looks, it's a pain dealing with the TOs who are sticklers "oooh that's not WYSIWYG" - ugh.

So i have to resort to the oblit models and now i need to make them bearable.

Despite posting those pics before in a different obliterator thread I think there is no harm in putting them up here as well. :sweat:

Keep in mind that I went beyond adding armour to the flesh parts of my obliterator and repositioned the legs and added some length to the torso. For me the biggest problem in armouring the upper legs were the hips and how they attached to the torso similar to the helbrute. I cut them off and moved them closer together which helped a lot with the conversion.

gallery_92971_12020_285901.jpg

gallery_92971_12020_466278.jpg

Edited by Isengrin

@Isengrin, that's what I would like to do with mine as well idealy, however my sculpting skills are complete garbage fo go that far. :sad.:

Don't worry, sculpting armour on the upper legs isn't such a big deal which by itself should greatly improve the mini. Slap a small chunk of green stuff on it, roll it around and smooth it out with a soft clay shaper. The whole step-by-step is very similar to Apologist's method for bulking up truescaled Grey Knight legs. For better results (and for making life a bit easier) mix green stuff with putty like Milliput or Magicsculp. It will be just as malleable and cures hard enough to be filed down to a smoother finish.

Isengrin, that's exactly it right there. Any chance you've got a guide on how to do that?

Unfortunately no, I don't have a tutorial for my process yet. I've already started converting the second obliterator, but maybe I can do a short guide and a couple pics there.

Despite posting those pics before in a different obliterator thread I think there is no harm in putting them up here as well. :sweat:

Keep in mind that I went beyond adding armour to the flesh parts of my obliterator and repositioned the legs and added some length to the torso. For me the biggest problem in armouring the upper legs were the hips and how they attached to the torso similar to the helbrute. I cut them off and moved them closer together which helped a lot with the conversion.

gallery_92971_12020_466278.jpg

Great work! Did you sand back/smooth down the muscly legs, or GS straigh over the top?

Thanks man! Other than shaving off small pieces at the hip joints with a knife I kept the legs pretty much as they were. An uneven surface helps with making the putty stick to it.

Good to know, thanks. I'll have to have a go at this, might as well seeing as all my other obbies are converted. I dont like the posing pouch look.