1,000 point list: 3 troop choices or 2 troops + eradicators?

XeonDragon

Hi all

Need some help with a picking between two lists for a raven-guard successor chapter (stealthy, master artisans). I am only playing what I have built and painted, which is reflected in the units available below. It is for a 1,000 point game. The mission is Incursion: divide and conquer (page 289 of the 9th ed rule book).

As both lists share a common core, it is probably easier to highlight the differences and then ask what you all think might work best for that mission.

Option 1: Patrol detachment with the core units listed below and 3 troop choices

1. 6 man infiltrator squad
  2. 5 man veteran intercessor squad (sergeant with chain sword)
  3. 5 man tactical squad, 1 with missile launcher, sergeant with chain sword

Option 2: spear head detachment with the core units listed below and 2 troop choices, 1 additional heavy unit to the above

1. 5 man infiltrator squad
  2. 5 man scout squad (3 with sniper rifles, sergeant with sniper rifle/chain sword, 1 with missile launcher)
  3. 3 man eradicator squad

Units both lists have in common

+ HQ [6 PL, -1CP, 115pts] +

• Captain [6 PL, -1CP, 115pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Combi-plasma [10pts], Digital Weapons, Feigned Flight, Frag & Krak grenades, Jump Pack [1 PL, 25pts], Stratagem: Master of the Trifold Path [-1CP], The Imperium's Sword, Warlord

+ Fast Attack [6 PL, 150pts] +

Inceptor Squad [6 PL, 150pts]: Plasma Exterminator x2 [30pts]

• 2x Inceptor [80pts]
  • Inceptor Sergeant [40pts]: Master-Crafted Weapon

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [8 PL, 130pts]: Armorium Cherub [5pts]

• Space Marine Sergeant [25pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Combi-plasma [10pts], Frag & Krak grenades
  • 4 x Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon [25pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Grav-cannon and grav-amp [10pts]

Whirlwind [7 PL, 143pts]: Hunter-killer missile [5pts], Storm bolter [3pts], Whirlwind vengeance launcher [10pts]

+ Dedicated Transport [6 PL, 128pts] +

• Razorback [6 PL, 128pts]: Hunter-killer missile [5pts], Storm bolter [3pts], Twin lascannon [40pts]

So what would you run and why? Would you run the 3-troops choice option for obsec/board control, or would you run the eradicators instead?

Thanks for helping a fellow sneaky dude out :smile.:

I would go for the Patrol. It looks to me like you have decent anti-tank and I think the extra ObjSec bodies and the extra 3CPs will be more useful. If you really feel you need the AT of the Eradicators, I would drop the Whirlwind and replace it with the Eradicators.

I would go for the Patrol. It looks to me like you have decent anti-tank and I think the extra ObjSec bodies and the extra 3CPs will be more useful. If you really feel you need the AT of the Eradicators, I would drop the Whirlwind and replace it with the Eradicators.

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I must say... I do love the whirlwind, I find it useful for anti-infantry as well as AT but yes, food for thought about swapping it out for the Eradicators. Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

I would honestly take the 2 troops choices and the eradicators, dropping the whirlwind.

eradicators are so good, not just for the anti tank work, but at dealing with the multi wound threat you're likely to see from space marines, and raven guard put then where they need to be, when they need to be there

if you can get your hands on a drop pod for your devestators, even better

Edited by Riddlesworth

Thanks - definitely something to think about! 

I would honestly take the 2 troops choices and the eradicators, dropping the whirlwind.

eradicators are so good, not just for the anti tank work, but at dealing with the multi wound threat you're likely to see from space marines, and raven guard put then where they need to be, when they need to be there

if you can get your hands on a drop pod for your devestators, even better