Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Terminator Weapon combat weapon loadouts

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

RolandTHTG

RolandTHTG

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,702 posts

I'm still tempted but the Mauls getting to S8 on units that are base S5, from Bile or other features.  Wounding marines on 2+ is tasty. 

As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!
gallery_29004_6198_5619.pngUUPlRKI.pnggallery_48988_15465_7428.pnggallery_48988_15465_9161.png

Putrid Choir

Putrid Choir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 572 posts
I will go Axes still on my blightlords. Axes match my flails now, +2S and -2AP.

Jings

Jings

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 152 posts

We've also yet to see what Chainaxes do, we know that chainswords give -1ap hopefully axes get a difference like they (currently) do

I wouldn't cross your fingers. +1A is a similar bonus to +1S (probably a bit better tbh). I think both are going to become 0/1 point options each with no changes apart from the Chainsword gaining AP-1. 

• Juggernut likes this

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

++ INTERFECTOR PRODITORES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,549 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands, Alpha Legion
My combiplasma Terminator squad is keeping their axes. S6 is sufficient for T4 targets, but it also wounds T5 units on a 3+ -- something that swords cannot do without stratagem help -- and I imagine we're going to see plenty of T5 units popping up in the very near future coughheavyintercessorscough.

My combimelta Terminator squad is also keeping their mauls. Originally they were so equipped because that was what was left over, but now? Now they hit at S7. Most vehicles are T7. With meltas, they're anti-vehicle squad. It just fits, and it's a lot cheaper in points and cash than rounding up enough power fists to re-equip them.

Edited by Iron Father Ferrum, 15 September 2020 - 06:45 PM.

• Dr_Ruminahui and Putrid Choir like this
Posted Image

+Corruption of Purpose: Heretic Astartes+
+The Blade Unsheathed: Asuryani+

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

Squike

Squike

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts
A mix of swords and axes I think, be interesting to see if they are all pointed the same, as I think that will decide it.

Cheex

Cheex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,038 posts

Shame about the power mauls, though them going up to D2 was always a bit of wishful thinking. Still, S7 isn't so bad, but I think the AP of the other weapons will be more frequently useful. I'm thinking axes are the best balance here: easier to wound T5 (i.e. Gravis armour), with sufficient AP to work well against most targets. It'd still be worth sprinkling in a chainfist or two for the added Damage, IMHO.

I don't see my Red Butchers changing (2x pairs of lightning claws, 2x chainfists, 4x chainaxes). They're already S5 base and if I need the AP there's a strat for that. But they're a bit of a fringe case.

• Iron Father Ferrum likes this

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,457 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

I would prefer if they did something more radical/ different with mauls. Maul with no strength boost, AP-4 but an additional would for every unmodified base wound roll of 6. 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 11,335 posts

I'm still tempted but the Mauls getting to S8 on units that are base S5, from Bile or other features.  Wounding marines on 2+ is tasty. 

Wounding marines on a 2+ sure is nice, but the 2 worse AP of the maul leaves more marines alive despite the easier to wound roll. 

You're causing 25% more wounds than the sword, but MEQ are passing 200% more saves.

Even against vehicles, going from 5+ to 4+ to wound v T7 is countered by the change from 4+ save from the maul and 6+ save from the sword. 

• Cheex and RolandTHTG like this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageXX

++ The Baalite Feast of Blades 2016; 2018 ++

Cheex

Cheex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,038 posts

Wounding marines on a 2+ sure is nice, but the 2 worse AP of the maul leaves more marines alive despite the easier to wound roll. 

You're causing 25% more wounds than the sword, but MEQ are passing 200% more saves.

Even against vehicles, going from 5+ to 4+ to wound v T7 is countered by the change from 4+ save from the maul and 6+ save from the sword. 

Pretty much exactly this. Mauls need to be a point or two cheaper than swords/axes for them to be worth it IMHO, but even then, on a squad like Terminators you'd be better off skimming points from elsewhere to make them killier. If you need a budget option, get a chainaxe.

Shame they didn't go to +2S, -1AP, 2D like the crozius. Hell, I'd even sacrifice the AP for that damage. That'd give them an interesting niche rather than just being a slightly-better-but-more-expensive-chainaxe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users