Terminator Weapon combat weapon loadouts

We've also yet to see what Chainaxes do, we know that chainswords give -1ap hopefully axes get a difference like they (currently) do

I wouldn't cross your fingers. +1A is a similar bonus to +1S (probably a bit better tbh). I think both are going to become 0/1 point options each with no changes apart from the Chainsword gaining AP-1. 

My combiplasma Terminator squad is keeping their axes. S6 is sufficient for T4 targets, but it also wounds T5 units on a 3+ -- something that swords cannot do without stratagem help -- and I imagine we're going to see plenty of T5 units popping up in the very near future coughheavyintercessorscough.

My combimelta Terminator squad is also keeping their mauls. Originally they were so equipped because that was what was left over, but now? Now they hit at S7. Most vehicles are T7. With meltas, they're anti-vehicle squad. It just fits, and it's a lot cheaper in points and cash than rounding up enough power fists to re-equip them.

Edited by Iron Father Ferrum

Shame about the power mauls, though them going up to D2 was always a bit of wishful thinking. Still, S7 isn't so bad, but I think the AP of the other weapons will be more frequently useful. I'm thinking axes are the best balance here: easier to wound T5 (i.e. Gravis armour), with sufficient AP to work well against most targets. It'd still be worth sprinkling in a chainfist or two for the added Damage, IMHO.

I don't see my Red Butchers changing (2x pairs of lightning claws, 2x chainfists, 4x chainaxes). They're already S5 base and if I need the AP there's a strat for that. But they're a bit of a fringe case.

I'm still tempted but the Mauls getting to S8 on units that are base S5, from Bile or other features.  Wounding marines on 2+ is tasty. 

Wounding marines on a 2+ sure is nice, but the 2 worse AP of the maul leaves more marines alive despite the easier to wound roll. 

You're causing 25% more wounds than the sword, but MEQ are passing 200% more saves.

Even against vehicles, going from 5+ to 4+ to wound v T7 is countered by the change from 4+ save from the maul and 6+ save from the sword. 

I'm still tempted but the Mauls getting to S8 on units that are base S5, from Bile or other features.  Wounding marines on 2+ is tasty. 

Wounding marines on a 2+ sure is nice, but the 2 worse AP of the maul leaves more marines alive despite the easier to wound roll. 

You're causing 25% more wounds than the sword, but MEQ are passing 200% more saves.

Even against vehicles, going from 5+ to 4+ to wound v T7 is countered by the change from 4+ save from the maul and 6+ save from the sword. 

Pretty much exactly this. Mauls need to be a point or two cheaper than swords/axes for them to be worth it IMHO, but even then, on a squad like Terminators you'd be better off skimming points from elsewhere to make them killier. If you need a budget option, get a chainaxe.

Shame they didn't go to +2S, -1AP, 2D like the crozius. Hell, I'd even sacrifice the AP for that damage. That'd give them an interesting niche rather than just being a slightly-better-but-more-expensive-chainaxe.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not even going to think about re-arming terminators nor anything else until we see a 9th ed CSM codex. Too many things that could change in both stats and points costs.

Always a smart move, and there could be a new strat or two. At least for points and stats it should mirror the loyalist a bit though, and their codex is the end of the month I think.

Considering SM codex leak it apears that EACH lightning claw gives +1 attack. This is huge, considering it will stay cheap.

Having just built a Terminator Champion with dual Lightning Claws that is exciting.

This also sounds great for the Night Lord Warp Talons I'm painting.

Sadly warp talons are still criminally over costed, but this is definitely a good change for terminators.

Too bad we have to wait for a codex to see the buff applied to stuff like Claws of the Black Hunt

Edited by Kain Mor

Oof, that's nice. Red Butchers with 6 attacks each on the charge...

Chainfists also get flat 3 Damage against vehicles.

Its a good change, especially for us. I hate base variable dmg without a good additional modifier to justify their upper points bracket as they assume you will always roll a 6 or 3 everytime etc.  

I'm not even going to think about re-arming terminators nor anything else until we see a 9th ed CSM codex. Too many things that could change in both stats and points costs.

Always a smart move, and there could be a new strat or two. At least for points and stats it should mirror the loyalist a bit though, and their codex is the end of the month I think.

Some amount of overlap is to be expected, but we do have options they don't.  What if GW decides to randomly make Reaper Autocannons good for the first time since 2nd edition?  What if they word our terminator options in a weird way that ends up allowing dual combi weapons the way they accidentally allowed zerkers with chain axes & chain swords, and they decide it's not worth the bother of fixing it?  What if legion traits or stratagems or just a changing meta based on whatever books come out before ours dramatically impact the preferred weapon selection?

IMO the only weapon refitting worth considering is magnets, and even then I'm not sure it's worth messing with before we have a book.

I'm likely to either go with Power Axes, or go cheap for Chainaxes.  It will all come down to costs.  Power Axes because Gravis is getting more plentiful, and Outriders are looking good.  They also scythe right through GEQs.

I'm likely to either go with Power Axes, or go cheap for Chainaxes. It will all come down to costs. Power Axes because Gravis is getting more plentiful, and Outriders are looking good. They also scythe right through GEQs.

I like the look of the power axes too. I also think Lightning Claws could be nice. Especially with agents of bile.

They improved the Reaper autocannon. Ap -2

Which is the least of its issues ^^"

Why Reapers haven't been made Twin Autocannons will never not baffle me.

Well. It is good that way against some targets. Some crons with phase shields for instance. Or 1 wound Infantry. I did not look in all the changes but do dreads not ignore the first point of damage now? So S7 D1 AP - 2 sounds pretty solid against that too.