Starting Sisters of Battle? (like me?) ask questions here!

Ok so can anyone talk to me about how to efficiently use Seraphim?  It seems like a really poorly designed unit.  It's a deepstriking unit that can't use its special guns unless it spends a command point.  Do you guys generally keep it in deepstrike or start it off on the table and run it up to shoot stuff or use it as a counterpunch unit?

Ok so can anyone talk to me about how to efficiently use Seraphim? It seems like a really poorly designed unit. It's a deepstriking unit that can't use its special guns unless it spends a command point. Do you guys generally keep it in deepstrike or start it off on the table and run it up to shoot stuff or use it as a counterpunch unit?

Definitely deep strike. And, IMO, they are a must-have in most sister's list. 1 CP is not too much for 4 deep striking melta guns. I typically run 2 units in each of my lists so I can drop one down turn 2 and one turn 3. Also keep in mind that with miracle dice, long bomb charges are possible.

So typically when I deep strike a Seraphim squad, I'm looking at 3 factors.

1) Needs to be within 12" of a tank or other tough unit worthy of 4 meltas.

2) Can I get within range of some rerolls?

3) Can I get within 10-12" of an enemy unit I want to tie up in combat?

Keep in mind that you can shoot your pistols in combat, so if you charge something and they don't kill you or fall back, you can keep firing those meltas on your next turn.

Exactly what TheFinisher4Ever said. 

Today, I'm using one 10 model unit and one 5 model unit. The 10 model unit drops in somewhere tasty turn 2, using pretty much the same set of qualifications listed above, and relies on Deadly Descent to help both put damage on a tough target and clear a screen for my Repentia or Zephyrim to make a move, depending on board state. Since Deadly Descent occurs in the movement phase, a good outcome can often lead to a good spot for the Zephyrim to land in the same turn. 

I like the idea of dual inferno Seraphim. I’m used to one-way drops down MSU units don’t bother me.

...but I keep being torn between Inferno Seraphim and stormbolter Dominions, of hand flamer Seraphim and melta gun Dominions. Of course today’s W-C article had me wondering about flamer Dominions, but I think that doesn’t make sense given I already have some Heavy Flamer Retributors.

Multi-melta Inmolators will be very nice once the wpn update hits next month.

Inferno Pistol seraphim are great.

Repentia bombs in rhinos (OoBR) are very fun.

If you dont like the vehicle aesthetic razorbacks can make do with a simple weapon swap.

Storm bolter Dominions still there “best” use?

Interestingly, 12 inch all flamers for just 8 points more than a storm bolter squad could be alright. They outperform the Storm Bolters at 12", but lack enough range to contribute past that.

But it's really just the Stratagem that makes the Storm Bolters such a good choice.

Edited by Lemondish

Even then, I wonder what 3W marines will think of that strategem. I'm currently avoiding Doms loaded up with specials. BSS in Immo's are getting them but I have bare bones Doms for jumping on objectives early. Haven't had the chance to run it competitively of course. Practice games will hopefully tell me of they are worth it at all.

Shamelessly jumping on the new to Sisters bandwagon. Sure, I've played some games on TTS, but now I'm actually starting the army for real. Like, in reality.

And I can't be happier - this is such a fun army to build and paint. I managed to get my hands on the Army Box, and here are the results of my first couple Sisters. I'm not a good painter, but enjoy the hobby anyway:

First Two Battle Sisters

Edited by Lemondish

Even then, I wonder what 3W marines will think of that strategem. I'm currently avoiding Doms loaded up with specials. BSS in Immo's are getting them but I have bare bones Doms for jumping on objectives early. Haven't had the chance to run it competitively of course. Practice games will hopefully tell me of they are worth it at all.

They won't think anything of it, because you won't use it against them.  There are still plenty of 2W Marines to shoot with Blessed Bolts. In fact, OG Marines are lining up to get shot by it!

I started building my first sisters the other night, I really like how intuitive the box is. They aren't as annoying and picky as mechanicus or wood elves, both things I've hated building. I sat down and planned out how I was going to build my three boxes of battle sisters. I'm used to primaris, so my brain had to map out how many of each loadout I could build, and what my best choices to build out of those were. I decided on 5x battle sister squads of five, and one dominion squad. I gave the Simulacrum sister the alternate arm with the slung boltgun holding a helmet, and attached the sheathed power sword to her other hip to make a second Sister superior per box.

So, I'll have 3x sister squads with a heavy bolter and storm bolter, 2x sister squads with heavy flamer and flamer, and 1x dominion squad with meltaguns. My only thing is I might give the second flamer squad the fancy helmets and have them as Celestians, in case they become useful in 9th.

Celestians already are usefull if you have any desire to get into combat, especially as bloody rose. The better WS, the extra attack, the reroll to hit and wound strat ir reroll to hit near a canoness is oretty decent. That, and they can protect your umagifier from getting killed.

I managed to gather $500 USD to spend on models. While I haven't fully decided that I want to use it to complete my sisters army, I wanted advice for if I do. I plan to play OOML. I already have a Canoness, three battle sisters boxes, and a box of Retributors. What would you all recommend I pick up to flesh out the army?

I managed to gather $500 USD to spend on models. While I haven't fully decided that I want to use it to complete my sisters army, I wanted advice for if I do. I plan to play OOML. I already have a Canoness, three battle sisters boxes, and a box of Retributors. What would you all recommend I pick up to flesh out the army?

An Imagnifer, Hospitaller or similar won't hurt at all to add. My preference would be to add some Seraphim, an Immolator (thr last model is still available on ebay, if you look around, if the new one isn't thr style you like/costs too much). Also, at least one other HQ. Another Canoness or perhaps a Priest. I'm not sure what else to add, as I dont know what $500 buys. It seems like quite a bit, but the US/Canada has to put up with higher prices :(

I don't know enough about playing sisters to assist you. At the very least I think a couple rhinos to protect all your lovely girls from behing shot off the board.

Definitely at least one. The good thing is with Rhinos, is that you can use the Marine one if you don't want to use the specific Sisters one.

Hi. So it really is a loaded question. There's different things to consider. For instance I am a purist so all my units are sisters, no arcos,priests, etc. I start with canoness and 3 squads of sisters. I add in hospitalor,diagolus, imagifier, dominions, retributors and vehicles before anything else. Repentia and seraphim, next body guard and so forth.

You can also set up with preachers and the like if it's your flavor. Setting up for fun or comp will also play a role.

I'm a firm believer in the exorcists, one of my favorite units and undeniably essential, it's the mainstay of this army, the hammer if you will. Immolators can be used for different roles and rhinos, while suffering the transport rules (embarking/disembarking) can be a good purchase as well.

To me the nice thing is the small variety of units makes choices easier. I play several different armies and get all irritated trying to flesh out a list for most but find sisters easy to compile.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Building out my army (robes are both the best and worst part about painting Sisters) and for heavy weapons i plan on having 4x each of Multi-Melta, Heavy Bolter, and Heavy Flamer. All MM will go in a Retributor squad with Simulcram, Combi-flamer Sgt for the option of the +1 To Wound Strat, and 4x ablative bodies, probably in a Rhino. As for the HF and HB, I’m torn as to which to put in Troops squads and which to use in a second Retributor unit.

At first I thought HF Retribs to get the sweet +4” range for cooking hordes, especially if it’s now RAW 16”...but moving with no penalty to Heavy weapons makes a 4x HB Retrib squad ever more attractive in the age of 2W MEQ. My 3x (so far) BSS squads have a storm bolter each since I had originally planned to go HB+SB for sitting on OBJ. But HF’s make them more maneuverable, thus creating more mobility in general with both BSS and Retribs not worried about running around.

How dastardly is it to decide who gets HB vs HF when I deploy them? If everything costs the same and is modeled similarly...I.e. in the “barracks” I have the option to swap weapons in squads but it seems a bit cheeky to do that just before deployment.

Also, how does attacking with the Triumph of St. Katherine work? You get 6x bolt pistol shots in the Shooting phase...straightforward I guess...but if you want to throw a frag or krak grenade...do you forfeit all those pistol shots? And in the melee phase, you get 14A at full bracket. The Martyr’s Sword can be no more than 4A...so is that 4/14? Or 14+4? I’m guessing the first one...so you would make 10x Relic Weapon (S+2 AP-2 D:1) attacks and then 4x Martyr’s Sword (S+3 AP-3 D:2) attacks...right?

I smile wrapping my head around the mating of rules and modeling. I keep thinking of it as 6x3W models in a single unit, so every time you use lose 3W one “model” dies thus losing you a bolt pistol and relic weapon and Relic of your choice until there’s only one left.....but the current crunch is blessedly far more forgiving to use than that. 

Edited by Indefragable

You absolutely cannot be swapping out your retributor's loadout after you see your opponents models/list.  The standard fair play mode is you build your list and your opponent does likewise and then you show up with what you got and start deploying/playing.

You don't get to see what you're opponent has and then decide to tailor your loadout so as to be more efficient against his specific army composition. There's a word for that: cheating.

This is why it behooves you to create a "take-all-comers" force.

You absolutely cannot be swapping out your retributor's loadout after you see your opponents models/list.  The standard fair play mode is you build your list and your opponent does likewise and then you show up with what you got and start deploying/playing.

You don't get to see what you're opponent has and then decide to tailor your loadout so as to be more efficient against his specific army composition. There's a word for that: cheating.

This is why it behooves you to create a "take-all-comers" force.

So...what I mentioned above is not quite cheating...there was a guy at my club in years past who would deploy  his army and then swap weapon options based on your army (“you brought Tyranids? All my guys have flamers” <swap plasma guys for flamer guys>. “You brought tanks? All my guys have meltas” <removes flamer models, plops down melta guys>.) ...that is cheating. 

I’m talking about which unit a certain weapon goes in, especially  there’s no difference in cost or attributes that appear on paper. Like, you purchase a Rhino in the Dedicated Transport slot: when do you have to decide what unit goes into the Rhino? When you build your list? Before you deploy? When you deploy? Etc... In previous editions Dedicated Transports were essentially a war gear upgrade to a specific unit so that matter never arose. Now what if you bring a Land Raider in the HS slot...technically, you decide what unit goes inside when you deploy the LR to the board...kind of like how you now “deploy” a unit in a teleportarium so it can Deep Strike. 

...my comment about deciding which unit certain weapons go in is in my mind closer to the Transport note above, but I can see how others would perceive it as being closer to “tailoring” a list ala the guy at my club mentioned up top. And as many an elementary teacher has said, if you have a feeling something is wrong, it probably is so I will agree that such a practice is deceptive at best.

Anyways don’t want to derail things. What about my other questions?

You get 6x bolt pistol shots in the Shooting phase...straightforward I guess...but if you want to throw a frag or krak grenade...do you forfeit all those pistol shots? 

Yep. One model in a unit can resolve attacks with a grenade weapon instead of shooting any of their other weapons, but since this is a unit that is made up of a single model per the datasheet, you'll be choosing either to toss a grenade or shooting the pistols. I would probably urge you not to toss a grenade in most cases, but the ranged shooting from this unit isn't its main purpose so it ultimately won't matter too much. 

The Martyr’s Sword can be no more than 4A...so is that 4/14? Or 14+4?

Your guess is correct. Basically, if a model has more than one melee weapon and can make several attacks, it can split them between these weapons however you wish. In this case, a special ability of one of those weapons limits the number of attacks you can allocate to it, so you'll have 4 attacks with the Martyr's Sword and 10 attacks with Relic weapons. 

Since it is a unit with a single model, even when you're on your last wound you still get the 6 bolt pistol shots, and because of the degrading profile, you end up with only 6 attacks in melee (again, 4 of which could be the Martyr's sword).