Starting Sisters of Battle? (like me?) ask questions here!

If I may "hijack" the thread. With new lockdown I am thinking about doing a smaller (1000 pts/50 PL) Sisters force. I want to have retributors. I guess they are good. Which weapon would be the best for the first unit? Heavy Bolters or Mulri-meltas?

If I may "hijack" the thread. With new lockdown I am thinking about doing a smaller (1000 pts/50 PL) Sisters force. I want to have retributors. I guess they are good. Which weapon would be the best for the first unit? Heavy Bolters or Mulri-meltas?

Disclaimer: I have not yet actually played a game, so the veterans can weigh more than I...

..but 2 shots each of S8 AP-4 D:D6+2 is nuts, especially since Retrib have no penalty to move + shoot Heavy AND can pop the Strategem to get +12” range AND +1D (for a potential max of 18 damage each) is just amazing. And that’s each Retrib with MM. and we haven’t even gotten to the other strats like through+1 To Wound one or the one that lets you use the same Miracle Dice for both To Hit and To Wound roll. So I’m a big fan of MM on them.

That being said they’re carried by squishy T3 W1 3+/6++ bodies, so how you use them is a big deal. Pop out of a transport or have ablative wounds. I’ve been rethinking mixing heavy bolters and MM into the same squads, since 4x MM in a single unit seems like overkill and will be focus fired down pretty fast. Especially for smaller games I feel that’s the right call, but get some reps and see how you like it.

It's also just hard to get multi meltas for 4 retributors. The box has 2 of each weapon and the battle sister box has a heavy flamer and a heavy bolter. Meaning you need two boxes of retributors to get 4 multimeltas

Wasn't there a conversion post somewhere that instructed which normal battle sisters bodies etc were able to fit which heavy weapon, for those who have managed to source extra Multi Meltas from bits stores?

It's also just hard to get multi meltas for 4 retributors. The box has 2 of each weapon and the battle sister box has a heavy flamer and a heavy bolter. Meaning you need two boxes of retributors to get 4 multimeltas

I had 2 sm multimeltas lying in my bits box. Cut the barbells off, and glued them on the heavy flamers. Now I got 4 multimeters.

Wasn't there a conversion post somewhere that instructed which normal battle sisters bodies etc were able to fit which heavy weapon, for those who have managed to source extra Multi Meltas from bits stores?

Found what I was looking for in RolandTHTG's original post (you'll need to scroll past the pic):

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/361350-new-plastic-kits-loadouts/?p=5471394

I believe the list shows which bodies from the battle sister box fit the arms from each frame of the Retributor squad box (and thus weapons).

• 2 months later...

So what are peoples preferred Sister Superior loadout? I'm leaning chainsword and bolter.

Depends of the function of the squad. I like to sprinkle in some plasma. Also combi flamers for holy trinity even if situational can be nice.

For dirt cheap combi bolter squads I lean towards bolter and chainsword as well.

One thing I would add: yes, the damage on MM is huge, BUT Exorcists and Heavy Bolters are the only weapons in the entire army with a range > 24"!

If the group you play with still uses old school 6x4 tables, It can be important to make sure you bring enough. Personally, I get my HB from my Mortifiers, but that's because I'm a psycho and I field 6 of them, which gives me 12 HB for 36 shots.

So yes, role is everything, and the rest of the army has an impact on what you need.

As @Maschinenpriester said, I like to sprinkle combi-meltas/flamers among my Sisters Superior. It's situational and probably takes away from adding some more bodies to the army overall, but I like the ability to tap Holy Trinity if desired. You never know when that could come in handy, though I don't necessarily plan my game around that Stratagem. I'm an "keep options open" kind of guy, so that's how I think. Especially with Miracle Die mechanics, the ability to make a single 5-gal squad suddenly +1 To Wound means you can pull out some clutch antics that could tip the game. And Adepta Sororitas' whole shtick is basically insane clutch-plays. 

The main thing I had in mind was a small supporting force for a future all allarus custodes force. Since custodes lack range I think a HB or two wouldn't be a bad idea but wanted to keep them cheap and run MSU stormbolter squads for the mobility, but if they are just going to camp Obj; again the HB's could help chip in damage.

Edited by Silas7

I personally like to take a Ret squad of 4 multimeltas in a Repressor.  Can't use strats or AoF, but the extra movement is nasty.  Plus, the Repressor is tougher than Sisters, so they are harder to get rid of.  

And, since Rets don't take penalties for moving anymore, that's 8 melta shots with a threat range of 36 inches, and 24 inches for the +2 damage.

I call it the microwave oven.  (The one with the heavy flamethrower Rets is the easy bake oven.)  My opponents call them something else, mostly liberally laced with profanity. :)

Yeah, I know. But I don't play in tournaments.

I'm strictly a beer and pretzels player. "Cept I don't really like pretzels and I don't drink.;)

That's totally fair, just worth talking about the availability of legends/special detachments in a meta in a thread about starting a new faction.

So....how are Immolators? 

I know some of the review sites <cough> Goonhammer <cough> are pretty down on them, and yes you have to take that sort of stuff with a grain of salt.

...but also the idea that they are way overpriced for what they offer can't be ignored and it's been turning me off from the idea of one altogether. 

I mean, It's just a heavy bolter and heavy flamer on wheels. Nothing fancy about it, in fact it's a razorback with less options which is probably why your feeling lukewarm on it.

True but the transport needs to make those points back and then some to make up for the turns that the unit inside isn't shooting/fighting. That is of course discounting the value of moving the embarked unit to where is needs to be and doing so safely.

Guess it comes down to are those points better spent on another unit of whatever your transporting or have you hit your max Rule of three and thus the extra firepower is worth the points.

I'm not the person to judge since I don't plan on expanding my sisters army into a stand alone detachment.

Both MM and HB are buffed, so I feel like they are better than they were. The new dex may also offer some tweaks; I'm hoping they restore the ability of Doms to confer their scout move upon the Immo. Even if it's a strat. Cool thing? Even if the box doesn't herald the release of our dex, updated rules for included units will likely be in the box.

Can't wait for that box; hoping they give us a date in the Saturday preview.

I'll probably look at picking up a split box, if they go for a reasonable price. It's a shame I was let down by both DE special character remakes.

Depending on the points, the palantine could help me squeeze a couple stormbolters into my patrol.

Looking at the guard I'm thinking bare would be around 35-40pts.

Edited by Silas7

So....how are Immolators? 

I know some of the review sites <cough> Goonhammer <cough> are pretty down on them, and yes you have to take that sort of stuff with a grain of salt.

...but also the idea that they are way overpriced for what they offer can't be ignored and it's been turning me off from the idea of one altogether. 

Ultimately I feel every choice in an army list comes down to the way you like to play the game.  If you are the sort that lives and dies at tournaments, you will more than likely have to forgo any fun or interesting picks in favor of pure math-hammer stats.  On the other hand if you are the sort that got into this game because you wanted to have fun and not ulcers, then you can pretty much play what ever you want, and after some practice and a little list tweaking you can make every unit viable.

But more specifically with the Immolator, if you are coming at this from the tournament perspective, then Immolators are worse than Razorbacks and therefore should not be taken.  Although by that same logic sisters are worse than marines so you shouldn't play them either.  Isn't it funny how nobody takes that Immolator / Razorback comparison to the logical conclusion that everyone should only play marines?

I feel that an Immolator is a counter intuitive choice for the standard point of view that most people come to the game with.  But I also feel that it is inappropriate to compare the Immolator to the Razorback, because of how inappropriate it is to compare the 5 space marines in that Razorback to the 5 sisters of battle in the Immolator in the context of a MSU Razorback rush.  MSU works well for SM because 5 models with T4, 3+ and 10W could take and hold something when they get out of the Razorback.  Whereas sisters would have 5 models with T3, 3+ and 5W and would struggle in the exact same scenario.

I believe that a better perspective to hold is to view the Immolator as a way for sisters to bring more durable heavy weapons first, as mobile cover to block LOS to more valuable units second, and in a distant third the Immolator's transport capacity as an interesting philosophical concept to muse on during your opponent's turn.  After all how many units in the game would it be advisable for 5 basic sisters to Razorback rush?

So instead of comparing an Immolator to a Razorback, compare it to a Retributor Squad.  An Immolator with Multi-Meltas is 3 points less that a 7 girl Ret Squad with 2 MM and 1 HB.  And an Immolator with Heavy Bolters is also 3 points less than a 7 girl Ret Squad with 3 HB.  Personally I don't feel like that is a bad match up, because there are pros and cons to both the Retrubutors and the Immolator that make for interesting options when drafting a list.

Yea I agree that the immolator should be compared to retributors instead of a transport. You really don't need to use them as a transport at all, and use the hulls to deny los, or tie up enemy ranged units.

I made a tts list that had 5 immolators and 8 mortifiers and felt like I had a pretty durable core that pumped out a large amount of ranged damage.