Warp Drive Torpedoes

Whitelion

Hi everyone, I came across this novel where we read about torpedoes with drive warps, which travel in the warp.
before reading this novel I thought warp vectors were only used on titans

Do you happen to know any other novel or quote about these torpedoes?

"The battle-barge shuddered as the gigantic missiles were launched. They appeared instantly on the screen, four flares of yellow plasma against the stars that suddenly winked out of existence as their warp drives engaged.
Skipping in and out of warp space, the torpedoes left a trail of multicoloured flashes in their wake describing an arc that slowly curved to the right as the Salamanders craft tried to evade them. Then they were out of sight, reduced to warp-echo registers on the scanners."
-The Face of Treachery pg. 251

Warp Missiles have been a Titan armament since the original Epic, and Titans are way smaller than capital ships.

The main issue with Warp Travel seems to be Geller Fields, which are to protect living crew from Daemons, obviously munitions don't have crew so the Geller Field isn't required.

They'd still be rare and expensive, but I don't see anything fluff-wise to say they're not viable especially for something like a Marine Battlebarge.

Rik

Hmmm. It was my understanding that imperial warp drive and geller field tech is bulky in the extreme, and one of the main reasons why warp-capable starships are so massively large.

Of course a mere torpedo what only does, judging by the description, shallow, very short warp skips, might require less complex mechanisms, but I have my doubts.

Closest thing I'm aware of, are Vortex torpedos, (and other vortex weapons of various scale), that create a warp rift upon impact - they do not, however travel via warp.

Maybe the author misunderstood it's function, or just took some artistic liberty.

One thing's for certain, 40K wikis don't list this type among existing imperial weaponry.

Lots of much smaller craft are warp capable than the big boys. There's books that talk about small pleasure ships etc.

I mean you have vortex grenades, they only tear a whole into the warp but it shows the tech can be miniaturised its just very odd and very rare.

Warp Missiles have been a Titan armament since the original Epic, and Titans are way smaller than capital ships.

The main issue with Warp Travel seems to be Geller Fields, which are to protect living crew from Daemons, obviously munitions don't have crew so the Geller Field isn't required.

They'd still be rare and expensive, but I don't see anything fluff-wise to say they're not viable especially for something like a Marine Battlebarge.

Rik

All of this. Plus, torpedoes in 40K are described as being the size of large buildings...so not exactly a small package. While I don't recall warp torpedoes being an option in BFG, this could have been a balance issue.

Alternatively, it could be that ALL torpedoes use these sorts of micro- warp jumps in order to cover the vast distances involved in anything like a reasonable timeframe. It's just never mentioned as a feature because it's standard equipment. You generally wouldn't remark on the fact that your car has wheels -- it's just assumed. It would be much more notable if it DIDN'T have them.

Warp missiles/torpedos showed up in BFG at some point as well as epic and im sure i recall them in some novels too (Probably the same one OP was reading) They are basically normal torps that just move fast and unpredictably from memory but expensive and mega rare.

Edited by Noserenda

• 2 weeks later...

naval application might be abit unstable in space since there´s more there floating about. Maybe you want frigate crippled but not gone? Ooops, that warp missile ate half of it we wanted to keep?

I have no idea, just thinking stupids

Edited by Jukkiz