Intercessors need a chapter-agnostic upgrade kit

It really seems like this is the year GW has decided to make Intercessors the true centerpiece of the Primaris range. Of course, a big part of that is simply introducing new units that also carry the "Intercessor" title (Assault and Heavies, apparently Vets too). But at least Intercessors' own weapons have gotten a slight adjustment, with Auxiliary Grenade Launchers even being moved to a more useful category.

But... as of now, simply attempting to build a standard squad from the Intercessors box is an exercise in frustration. You want one of those special sergeant weapons? Even just a 0-point Chainsword? Well, sorry - you're going to have to fork over thirteen bucks or so for a chapter upgrade kit that includes a whopping ONE of those options (just in case you thought you'd magnetize several options at once or kit out sergeants for more than one squad). AND just to make it more annoying, once you clip out your one useful bit from that entire kit, you'll then probably have to spend some time shaving off the chapter-specific toilet seat or five-finger salute to poor dead Dorn.

Yes, there are options from the classic marine line to repurpose, but not only do several of those just look off, but not everyone with a Primaris army has a firstborn army either. And many of them don't want one.

It's 2020, fer cryin' out loud. I think GW has gotten most of the under-protest buys of chapter-specific kits that they're going to at this point. Now is the time to give players a break and actually put all of those options in one Primaris Sergeant upgrade kit. Along with the four current melee weapons that Intercessor sergeants can take, they can add a Power Axe for people who don't feel like amputating Haldor Icepelt or Feirros, as well as distinct master-crafted versions of the Auto and Stalker rifles (keep the drum magazine aesthetic from the Iron Hands kit and do something similar for the Stalker).

Maybe go ahead and add a Plasma Pistol attached to an actual organic arm instead of the "augmetic-only" thing that Hellblasters and the Indomitus Assault Intercessors have going on. Even if the full A.I. squad kit includes a non-augmetic bit, why should anyone wanting to run a non-augmetic Plasma Pistol in their Hellblaster squad have to buy a completely different squad kit?

I'm really hoping this will be a quiet addition to the lineup of Primaris kits being released Octoberish alongside the codex. Actual designed-for-Primaris not-converted-from-a-specific-chapter parts for what is only the poster boy unit for the Primaris range and 40K in general at this point. Imagine having the actual bits mentioned on the datasheet available in one handy location (and even at that, it would STILL be a separate purchase, but that's a concession I'm happy to make at this point).

Just me?

I think this is a good idea. Honestly if you go back you'll remember they had BLOOD ANGEL INTERCESSORS rather than just SPACE MARINE INTERCESSORS - They were the same price box for 10 guys ($60 US) and included two Blood Angel Primaris upgrade kits inside. Sure, the kits are outdated since the addition of Power Fist and Thunder Hammers, but you were able to get the chapter specific kits with the models together for the same price.

Since then they've been discontinued, so they can make money on the added kit as you mentioned.

If they sold White Scars Intercessors with their kits, and so on and so on, nice! But you're still correct that a generic non-ultramarine kit would be ideal. Right now having to get third-party Thunder Hammers or re-purpose death company ones, or terminator ones, just looks silly.

At a bare minimum, all chapters that are core significant names (Black Templar, Crimson Fists, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Ultramarines, White Scars, Iron Hands, and Imperial Fists) should get Intercessor boxes with their upgrade sprues w/ shoulder pads and special weapons..... People would buy them. Then just produce "Space Marine Intercessors" as the generic box, with a generic upgrade kit - this kit would have more weapons, sigils, purity seals, and oddball bits in place of having chapter specific shoulder pads.

I think having a generic upgrade would be great. Alternatively, they could ensure that the Assault intercessor kit has all of these.

I don't think an intercessor box for each chapter will be sustainable. While nice, it isn't really economical on their end.

I would like to see the SW, DA and BA upgrades redone, they don't really have enough to them for their chapter aesthetic. Many of the newer upgrade kits have much more character than the DA one for instance. I think it reasonable to want something like a robed chestplate replacement for a sergeant, etc.

Either way, expensive chapter upgrade kits are not a sustainable way for bits that you actually need to equip your models.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I got a vanguard veteran kit for adding bling to my RG intercessors. That kit comes with lots of the sergeant weapons and elaborate shoulder pads and (for me) beakie helms. You might get some good stuff for yourself in there and the Stern guard kit.

But yes, they could do with a nice dedicated upgrade kit for us all to spend money on.

I remain hopeful that the rumours about a retooling of Forge World come true, and that one of its new purposes is producing exactly the kind of specific customisation bits and pieces that people really want, but not enough people really want to make it viable to produce them in plastic.

Robed Dark Angel Primaris torsos and heads, extra bionic bits for Iron Hands and veterans, chapter-specific shoulderpads for some of the smaller but still popular chapters (i.e. at least those that they included in the Deathwatch kit), et cetera . . .

It could be like the glory days of the Horus Heresy upgrade kits, only in support of the main product range and thus presumably more viable over the long term.

Right now having to get third-party Thunder Hammers or re-purpose death company ones, or terminator ones, just looks silly.

I've been using the Salamanders ones on eBay (they sell for over half the price of the upgrade sprue itself) and shaving the flame icon off. Only comes in one single pose and as a left hand. Not ideal.

I know there's already a lot of complaints about too many Primaris releases without giving people more to complain about, but with the current GW philosophy of datasheets only containing WYSIWYG for box components and new wargear additions over the last 3 years, the Intercessor box either needs an update or they need to release some sort of generic weapons upgrade sprue. Not just for Space Marines either, I'm sure other factions badly need a similar product, even if the sprue only contains one single splinter rifle/rotor cannon/power claw/etc.

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

I think they should have done the upgrade kits differently from the start. A sprue with a bunch of weapons that everyone could use, then a sprue off shoulder pads and maybe some other cosmetic stuff for each chapter.

There’s nothing stopping them making an upgrade sprue but I kind of doubt they will. Instead, if we ever get proper upgrade bits, I think they’ll be in something like the veteran intercessor kit. With any luck that’ll be like the vanguard or sternguard sets, with all the options you could imagine.

The Vanguard and Sternguard Veteran boxes are brilliant for making Sergeants of any type, 1 box of each should give you enough bits to make all of your Sergeants and Characters stand out a bit from the standard models too.

Rik

I do think it may have reached the point where they could do with popping a little melee/sergeant upgrade sprue in the intercessor box, like the old 2nd ed assault weapon sprue, that would be nice.

Or even just sell it separately, as they may be more likely to!

I remain hopeful that the rumours about a retooling of Forge World come true, and that one of its new purposes is producing exactly the kind of specific customisation bits and pieces that people really want, but not enough people really want to make it viable to produce them in plastic.

Robed Dark Angel Primaris torsos and heads, extra bionic bits for Iron Hands and veterans, chapter-specific shoulderpads for some of the smaller but still popular chapters (i.e. at least those that they included in the Deathwatch kit), et cetera . . .

You mean going back to what they used to do before they did nothing but Heresy, Heresy and more Heresy? Color me skeptical.

Edited by Reinhard

Just wait til next year when we get another supply drop and it will be all these upgrade sprues and korsarro khan again :P

It is really needed though but GW likely won't do it and thus fall victim to their arch-nemesis: second-market bit makers. No, they aren't thunder hammer, these are Quake Hammers with an armoured gauntlet, totally generic and not made in response to your tone-deaf release kits where you should of left us to the chapter specific stuff while having the much more popular generic upgrade sprue that everyone can use and would of sold like hot-cakes.

I still can't wrap my head around why GW won't just sell individual bits.

They're happy to try sell you a whole upgrade sprue for 12 moneys when you only need the chainsword, so people like me simply won't buy it. But if they just charged like, 4 moneys for the chainsword on its own, I'd probably pay for it and the profit margin would be even higher for GW.

Just make it web order only so you don't have to screw around distributing stock of backpacks and boltguns everywhere, and everyone wins. All they're doing right now is keeping eBay bits resellers in business.

Think the problem with bits is that they would end up with a massive pile of unsold bits from the sprues that the more popular bits come from. I see it on bits sites often, got like 40+ of this odd bit no one wants and out of stock of everything else. 

Yeah, I've seen that pretty commonly too. The problem there is GW insists on only making that one specific part on a sprue that comes with 15 other pointless parts nobody wants, when they could just make a sprue full of the part people actually want.

That's the problem in the first place- They only make desirable parts like a power fist available on a sprue with a bunch of pointless (to most players) Imperial Fist shoulder pads. It's just a waste of plastic frankly.

There's a power fist on the Lazarus kit as well. For DA players, that's kind of nice to have the extra sword/fist depending on how you built the kit. Can stick that on a sergeant. However, most of the primaris character kits so far have been quite lacking in customization options.

It is something I am not liking with a lot of the Primaris line really. The models are great but one of reasons for playing marines is customisation and having your own load-outs for units but the new primaris infantry stuff feels extremely constrictive (and by design it seems) that ultimately hurts some of their units, mainly the fact that the age old "hide a big stick" in a troop choice is something GW wants to try and phase out for some reason.

Would say it feels like GW trying to tell us how to play our armies by forcing certain weapons on units but that quickly dropped away, at least a little, with units at least having some options. Hoping to see Eradicators and Suppressors eventually get their own kits and have a second weapon option. 

Important as well that the Primaris character kits are part of a trend there, and it's not necessarily just them, it just includes pretty much all of them because they're new.

Kits like the interrogator chaplain, the sanguinary priest, the iron priest, etc. also have the same problem, not having extra bits or options that can be repurposed to spice up a sergeant or something like that.

As others have already said, the Vanguard Veteran box is excellent for power weaponry of all kinds - it's well worth picking up if you are needing a few and want more options, plus the added bonus of adding some assault veterans to your roster!

If you are needing a few weapons I also reckon by the time you have paid for individual items and postage with bits places or eBay you may as well have bought that boxed set anyway.

I'm interested in finding out whether the multipart Bladeguard will be having weapon options as well.

Think the problem with bits is that they would end up with a massive pile of unsold bits from the sprues that the more popular bits come from. I see it on bits sites often, got like 40+ of this odd bit no one wants and out of stock of everything else.

Yeah, I've seen that pretty commonly too. The problem there is GW insists on only making that one specific part on a sprue that comes with 15 other pointless parts nobody wants, when they could just make a sprue full of the part people actually want.

That's the problem in the first place- They only make desirable parts like a power fist available on a sprue with a bunch of pointless (to most players) Imperial Fist shoulder pads. It's just a waste of plastic frankly.

I imagine the cost to make the appropriate metal molds per weapon would be far too high to justify the cost.

I imagine the cost to make the appropriate metal molds per weapon would be far too high to justify the cost.

Yeah, I had considered that too, but I feel like it's a bit of a false economy if so.

They could instead make a sprue with ten thunder hammers, split them all up, and more people would buy those individually than currently buy the ones with one thunder hammer and five useless shoulder pads they don't need.

But that's just my hypothesis, I'm sure GW knows what it's doing when it comes to ruthlessly extracting currency from us :P

My hope is that the addition of the Veteran Intercessor datasheet in the next Codex means a Veteran Primaris kit with all the fixings. That kit would be a perfect source to include all the extra options, and many more besides.

I know it is a massive stretch and the most likely outcome is that it is a datasheet version of the Stratagem...

Edited by Lemondish

I'd say the best thing to do would be to email GW or post on their social media, rather than on an unofficial forum!

That would be great advice if I thought for a second that this was some revolutionary new idea that GW had never thought of.

But my ego's just a little bit more in check than that.

I can guarantee that GW has had MULTIPLE discussions about when and how they are going to introduce chapter-agnostic sergeant weapons and in what form. This is just me opening up the discussion of what that release will look like and if they'll actually do it this year.

My hope is that the addition of the Veteran Intercessor datasheet in the next Codex means a Veteran Primaris kit with all the fixings. That kit would be a perfect source to include all the extra options, and many more besides.

I know it is a massive stretch and the most likely outcome is that it is a datasheet version of the Stratagem...

I'm curious how they're going to do that as well. Like you, I'm prepared for it just being a datasheet, but I'm hoping it is indeed a separate kit. If that is where they decide to stick easily-accessible versions of all the sergeant weapons, I'd personally be fine with that though I still think they should do a separate upgrade kit. That player who has six or more Intercessor Sergeants that he wants to give Thunder Hammers to may not be too jazzed about having to buy six Veteran Squads if each box only comes with one copy of each power weapon.