Intercessors need a chapter-agnostic upgrade kit

That would be great advice if I thought for a second that this was some revolutionary new idea that GW had never thought of.

But my ego's just a little bit more in check than that.

I can guarantee that GW has had MULTIPLE discussions about when and how they are going to introduce chapter-agnostic sergeant weapons and in what form. This is just me opening up the discussion of what that release will look like and if they'll actually do it this year.

You're right, they've probably thought of the possibility, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't say something. Considering an idea is not the same as hearing from your customers that they want it. I can't speak to GW specifically, but with many companies a few voices can have a disproportionate impact because so few people bother to engage with them formally and respectfully.

And who knows? Maybe the horse will learn to sing.

Edited by Chaplain Mollusc

My hope is that the addition of the Veteran Intercessor datasheet in the next Codex means a Veteran Primaris kit with all the fixings. That kit would be a perfect source to include all the extra options, and many more besides.

I know it is a massive stretch and the most likely outcome is that it is a datasheet version of the Stratagem...

This. Make a bits-lavish veteran kit. on the level of the sternguard and vanguard veteran kits. It would solve so much

Not sure if I would find that concept funny or sad that there is the possibility of intercessors having multiple kits for the most minor of differences in load-out. "We will reduce bloat" while they pile out 50 new data-sheets into one codex and each datasheet has 3 different kits just for a different loadout instead of all being in one box.

thing with the primaris stuff is that they provide enough bits to be fully wysiwyg in a way that other kits have rarely done. there are enough grenades and pistols for every model to get one, there are accessories for all the models to get them, there are more shoulder pads than needed (by quite a bit) so you have customisation options, there are more than twice the number of heads needed, with the option being there for every model to be bare headed or helmeted with the bare heads having enough variety you only end up with a few duplicates. Mix two squads and you wont get any, which is pretty crazy really. It also has all the squad options except sergeant weapons, which i think was because their original plan had not been to open up sergeant weapons but they handled it badly and made it so they had to (having most of the chapters in one book forced their hand a bit)

realistically if we got a veteran kit, i think it'd be 5 man squad and cost at least the same as the sternguard and vanguard kits. Presumably having a full selection of options for such a unit. I could see them getting access to the same options as the various intercessor types but no gravis presumably. But who knows!

The veteran intercessor kit would make sense as a place to have some of this equipment. I do think that the kit will have more options than a standard intercessor kit, and so you should be able to bling up the sergeant a bit more with it.

A separate veteran kit would also be an appropriate place for SW/BA/DA players to add more of their distinctive character into the primaris line. When painting the old SW kit for example, the character of your army ends up not standing out as much when every Bloodclaw is essentially as blinged out as the Wolf Guard.

I still can't wrap my head around why GW won't just sell individual bits.

They're happy to try sell you a whole upgrade sprue for 12 moneys when you only need the chainsword, so people like me simply won't buy it. But if they just charged like, 4 moneys for the chainsword on its own, I'd probably pay for it and the profit margin would be even higher for GW.

Just make it web order only so you don't have to screw around distributing stock of backpacks and boltguns everywhere, and everyone wins. All they're doing right now is keeping eBay bits resellers in business.

I got a chuckle out of how you worded that.

The thing is, for 45 moneys you can get the Assault Marine box and be able to field two Intercessor Sergeants with Thunder Hammers, two with Power Fists, two with Power Swords, two or three with Chainswords, and still have the bits left for a low-end Vanguard Veteran squad. If you were willing to spend four moneys each for individual Sergeant weapons then you're effectively getting those Vanguard Vets for free.

If you're looking for Primaris chainswords you could pick up an individual assault intercessor on eBay, or a squad if you need multiples. 

Others have mentioned the Vanguard Vets box and it's great, as is Death Company for BA's when it comes to providing a multitude of assault weapons.

The one that surprised me was the Devastator Squad box - I picked one up earlier this year and it has an amazing variety of sergeant options, more than the current Tac Squad box I believe -  including a single lightning claw. 

A chapter-agnostic weapons kit will likely never happen, so I won't sweat worrying about it. I just bit the bullet and bought a Vanguard Vets box, or like the frater above says get an assault marine box. I needed a couple vanguard vets for my Deathwatch, anyway.

...frater? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that particular term.

Edited by TheNewman

A chapter-agnostic weapons kit will likely never happen, so I won't sweat worrying about it. I just bit the bullet and bought a Vanguard Vets box, or like the frater above says get an assault marine box. I needed a couple vanguard vets for my Deathwatch, anyway.

...frater? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that particular term.

So, on the Bolter & Chainsword, nearly everyone here is considered a "Frater Domus" or "Brother of the House" in Latin-ish; it's from the days when we were a Space Marine only forum. Frater is just a useful shorthand for "forum member" or similar. (Staff or former staff are generally Moderati/Moderati Cedo/Administratum).

• 2 weeks later...

So the new Assault Intercessor kit is your go to upgrade kit as it appears to offer all the sergeant upgrade options.

Here's hoping it's designed like the intercessor kit so you can make two sergeants so we have two of each power weapon. Would definitely make it worth getting an assault intercessor kit for me. Hey it'll be just like a new assault marine kit, I wonder if they planned that.

So the new Assault Intercessor kit is your go to upgrade kit as it appears to offer all the sergeant upgrade options.

Here's hoping it's designed like the intercessor kit so you can make two sergeants so we have two of each power weapon. Would definitely make it worth getting an assault intercessor kit for me. Hey it'll be just like a new assault marine kit, I wonder if they planned that.

That's what I'm hoping for as well - that the 10-man kit is just repeated sprues, able to be divided up into a separate Combat Squad box or appear as a five-man team in either a Battleforce or other boxed set. I believe every 10-man Primaris MPK squad has been designed that way to date: Intercessors, Hellblasters, Reivers, and Infiltrators/Incursors. As you said, that would mean twice the number of each of the special weapons.

The other possibility is that they actually do a distinct smaller sprue with just one copy of each of the sergeant weapon options, but the only way I'd see them going to that trouble is if they were indeed planning to also make it available as a separate blister-pack purchase for people just looking to bling out their Intercessor squads.

Of the two, I think the first is more likely.