Confused about wound allocation and melee

snakebyte

It's been years since I've played and I'm just warming up with the new edition box set and got to the scarabs vs captain melee.

If the captain inflicts 5 wounds on the scarabs does only one model die and then is the extra wound lost, or passed on to another scarab model?

Page 71 of Chapter Approved Grand Tournament rules pack says 'any excess damage inflicted by that attack is lost and has no effect'. 

But how then can a model with multiple attacks ever kill more than one model in the melee phase? 

I must be missing something blatantly obvious somewhere!

Edit - I'm thinking I'm getting confused by units vs models.

My captain is attacking the unit of scarabs, so if I score five hits, the scarabs fail five saves, I score five wounds which is one dead base and 1 wound on another. I'm right aren't I?

If, in the same melee, there was a group of Necron warriors and my damage removed the last scarab base then the excess wound couldn't carry to the Necrons. 

Edited by snakebyte

The rules always assume that all attacks are done one-at-a-time, sequentially. With Fast Dice being used to just speed everything up.

The damage from a single attack does not carryover to other models. But multiple attacks would be resolved on one model until it is killed and then go to another model in the unit.

So if it is one attack that deals 5 damage, the scarab would die and the extra damage would be lost.

If it is five attacks each dealing 1 damage, you allocate them onto a model one at a time. Killing the first scarab and dealing one damage to the next scarab. 

I think I'm getting it...

In the next example there are 5 assault intercessors against the Skorpekhs, so as an example;

Skorpekh with Reap Blade (damage 3, -4 AP) hits and wounds with all three = 3 dead intercessors. They have two wounds each, but even though 9 wounds have been caused only three models are removed. If they had three wounds or only one wound each it would still only be three dead intercessors. 

Sorry guys but another semi related question;

Marine player turn 1 the outriders charge necron warriors, so they fight first. Then necrons retaliate. No clear winner so there'll be another fight in necron turn 1, right?

Do the Necrons fight first because it's their turn?

I'm sure there used to be initiative steps and such like but I can't see it in the new rules. 

Sorry guys but another semi related question;

Marine player turn 1 the outriders charge necron warriors, so they fight first. Then necrons retaliate. No clear winner so there'll be another fight in necron turn 1, right?

Do the Necrons fight first because it's their turn?

I'm sure there used to be initiative steps and such like but I can't see it in the new rules. 

Look at the first paragraph in the Fight Phase rules.