Unit of the Week: Relic Falchion Super-heavy Tank Destroyer

Jolemai

Welcome to part five of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Relic Falchion Super-heavy Tank Destroyer

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Falchion?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units?
  • Which wargear options are you taking and are they affected by the above?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you.

Only the BRB has had a rules update so far ;)

However, like most units, it did receive a points update. It's default configuration is the fourth most expensive unit we can field, so it's likely to be used in Onslaught or Apocalypse games.

I guess no one has one of these?

I actually have one !!! 

The first game I ever played with it was vs a very, very good Knight player.  Probably one of the top players I've played against in recent memory. 

He literally *gave* me first turn - and then still destroyed me - taking out the Falcion in one turn :( sad. 

The beast is far too pricey, I feel, despite what it brings to the table. And as a result you struggle to really do much - more so in 9th I believe- though I've not yet tried it.   I probably will for funsies. 

The damage output on the main gun is just exceptional, but, (I dont know if its blast now?) its a little swingy - the command rerolling both dice may be good to mitigate this now.  

The fact is, you're likely to destroy one unit with the main gun, and then the 8 lascannons can try vape another target - so, its two targets a turn - unless they do something like Transhuman- then you cri..

Overall, the Falcion combos well with the BA libby and Shield - assuming your opponent has -4/-5 AP (lascannons, melta, doctrines etc) weapons coming its way - giving us a nice 5++ .  

It does however require some support, either in the form of counter charge, or so mobile blocking of some kind. 

I would probably use it to block off huge swathes of the backline and then create buffers with my units pushing forward. 

I really want to give it another bash