Crusade: Character combinations

MasterDeath

Do you have a nice combination for characters in your crusade campaign? Do you mind to share it with us? What level is needed to get that combination running?

Master of Executions, Exalted Possession, Crown of the Blasphemer, Conversion Field (2 req needed, after first level up)

The Master has good punch, but a glass chin. The Conversion Field fixes that problem and the Crown improves it to a 3+ save. The guy has S9 with 7 attacks on the charge dealing mortal wounds on a 6+ to wound and if something survives on natural 6 saves. The damage of d3 can be improved to d3+1 via "revered host". Only thing: His speed is only 7".

Edited by MasterDeath

Any secondary character who doesn't have an invul save would greatly benefit from the Conversion Field, which is available as soon as the character has access to Crusade Relics (i.e. after they level up once, or win a Relic mission). MoE, Sorcerer, Exalted Champion.

You can get some pretty nuts combinations. I have a Chaos Lord with Zaall the Wrathful (daemon weapon with -5AP) and am looking forward to the day he gets access to a Null-field Disruptor (ignore invul saves), though that won't be for a while.

There is a Monster Battle Honour that gives the model +2M, and +1" to Advance and Charge rolls. Put this on a World Eaters Daemon Prince with the Violent Urgency warlord trait and Talisman of Burning Blood: he'll have a 17-22" Advance move, and can then charge 4-14" with rerolls. All of this would be available when he gets his first level up.

This all being said, I am actively avoiding powergaming in my Crusade and am trying to only pick options that make sense for that character's story arc. For example, my Exalted Champion has had a daemonic patron protecting him from the first day I came up with the character, so when he levelled up it made sense to give him a Conversion Field. When he levelled up a second time, I gave him the Archaeotech Nano-meds - again representing his daemonic patron keeping him alive.

On the other hand, my Chaos Lord has proven to be completely useless, so when he finally levelled up (by default, having fought 6 battles) I rolled randomly for a Battle Honour.

Edited by Cheex

The whole purpose of Crusade is to be a fun narrative style of game, not who can make the most OP character on the board. If that's how your group plays then great but if it doesn't then expect some back lash for being "that guy." I do notice even in my group, there's always someone who tries to break the game even in a narrative non-competitive league.

Edited by Galron

The whole purpose of Crusade is to be a fun narrative style of game, not who can make the most OP character on the board. If that's how your group plays then great but if it doesn't then expect some back lash for being "that guy." I do notice even in my group, there's always someone who tries to break the game even in a narrative non-competitive league.

Well thats something new. Normally the tourney guys are yelling at me for not playing optimal :D. You are right of course. But its interesting to see how an added Invul makes the Master of executions suddenly very strong, now that the heroic intervention protection is gone.