Starting a space wolves army

emperorpants

Hey guys, I am primarily a Ultramarines player, but I will soon be starting a space wolves army as my 3rd army (my 2nd army is custodes). So my question is, what do I need? Should I get the codex and saga of the beast or should I wait till the new codex arrives? Also, what units would you recommend? I got Ragnar, anything else that you might feel is necessary?

Wait for the next marine book, we're gonna to get a supplement shortly afterwords. Ragnar is a good start, it's hard to recommend units with all the changes coming with next book. That said if you can pick up some blade guard vets or some bits to make your own they'd be a good unit to have hang around Ragnar.

Waiting is wise. That said I think you will need at least 1 space wolf troop box. It has many conversion bits and can make a nice basis for power armored HQ units. It can help you convert most any other marine models into a space wolf unit and is much more cost effective then lots of upgrade sprues.

Waiting is wise. That said I think you will need at least 1 space wolf troop box. It has many conversion bits and can make a nice basis for power armored HQ units. It can help you convert most any other marine models into a space wolf unit and is much more cost effective then lots of upgrade sprues.

Agreed - you can use it to make power armor classic Marines as well, depending on what happens with Blood Claws, Grey Hunters, etc.

If they bring it back, the Blood Claws box with 15 Marines worth of stuff + additional components at $50 U.S. was a fantastic deal. I sort of expect a price increase if it comes back at all.

If you play orks as well, prophecy of the Wolf is an awesome buy. If you don’t, you could still get it and sell the orks on the evilbay. I think Ghaz by himself goes for about $80. Or you could go the other way and see if you can pick up Ragnar.

Are you getting Spacewolves for the strongest most competitive army or because you want to play some werewolves?

Edited by spacewolflars

Saga of the Beast is the book from PA, not the box set.

I would definitely wait for the new codex and get the supplement, you won't really have much painted or to play with before PA and the current codex is invalid.

Thanks. Corrected above.

• 6 months later...
Now that some time has passed and the supplement is out, what units would you all say are must haves? I currently have Ragnar, Nyjal, a Lt with a power axe, 10 assault intercessors, terminators, murderfang, hounds of morkai, some longfangs, and 5 thunder wolf Calvary. I'm trying to find more thunder wolf Calvary, but they are quite hard to find currently. Any suggestions for more units?

Primaris Chaplain on a bike with Saga of the Hunter is an incredible unit. He can move 20" and still charge. Upgrade him to Master of Sanctity for better chanting and an optional relic.

Synergises well with the Thunderwolves if you wish but capable of buffing almost anywhere on the table.

Primaris Chaplain on a bike with Saga of the Hunter is an incredible unit. He can move 20" and still charge. Upgrade him to Master of Sanctity for better chanting and an optional relic.

Synergises well with the Thunderwolves if you wish but capable of buffing almost anywhere on the table.

Hunter gives +1 to advance and charge

He can turbo boost 21 and still charge

Get Primaris Chaplain on bike for reasons listed above. I'd also recommend 3 Redemptor Dreadnoughts. 6 Bladeguard veterans running up the board with Ragnar would also be fun and scary to your opponent.