Terminator Loadouts in 9th

With terminators making a huge comeback, I was just wondering what those of you who have had a chance to play a few games using 9th have been doing for loadout. I’m even thinking about running a 5-man squad all with thunder hammers in part for the coolness factor, but I’d like to see what others are doing first in competitive/ semi-competitive settings.

I took 10 Cataphractii Terminators with all Twin Bolters and an split of Lightning Claw and Power Fist armed models in a recent game and found they hold the line admirably. I used them to hold the centre and advance steadily, trading fire with Orks which used to be a big no no, oddly enough.

Obscuring terrain meant they could dominate the area they operated in with little repercussions, reminding me of the old 40K quote of using terrain to take the advantage of numbers away.

Of course, in the next Codex they go to 3 wounds a piece, which makes them incredibly better at this role.

If you use Indomitus Terminators (standard) you will find they can perform this role very well, but in a slightly different manner. Better firepower with their Heavy Weapons but slightly less survivability, whilst being slightly faster yet slightly weaker in close combat on average.

Haven't used them yet, as I still feel sort of becalmed by the wait for the new book. However, I'm very interested in the look of both Cataphractii and TH/SS assault terminators.

I'm having a think of whether I can convert Cataphractii to look like they work with Primaris marines. I think the original termies look a bit dated but Cataphractii or Tartarus might form the basis of a good conversion.

Haven't used them yet, as I still feel sort of becalmed by the wait for the new book. However, I'm very interested in the look of both Cataphractii and TH/SS assault terminators.

Regarding the Assault Terminator squad, I feel like this unit will be particularly good at killing hard targets. Much of 40K has had an aversion to hordes and moved to an elites and vehicle centric focus, so Assault Terminators smashing opponents with multiple Thunder Hammers will be potentially be very good.

With 3 attacks each on the charge, 4 for the Sergeant, a 5 man squad is looking at (all with Thunder Hammers) 16 attacks that hit at S8 and D4. Get some rerolls in there and Fury of the First and you can really rack up those wounds.

Even if you only hit, wound and opponent fails saves with a quarter of the attacks, you're looking at 16 damage in a single turn.

That's if thunder hammers are really damage 4. I think it would be a bit insane if that was true. Insane things do sometimes happen though. I guess we'll see.

There are a lot of candidates for a role of bossing the midfield. Cataphractii seem to be one of them, with a respectable amount of dakka and power fists. No speed of course, but they aren't in a huge rush a lot of the time. I'm not sure they're better than aggressors but they're an awful lot tougher.

I'm having a think of whether I can convert Cataphractii to look like they work with Primaris marines. I think the original termies look a bit dated but Cataphractii or Tartarus might form the basis of a good conversion.

For the record, they're both noticeably shorter than Primaris.

I'm interested to try out some Hammernators, especially in Medusan black.  That third wound is going to help with their durability, and it's possible for them to hit on 2+ in CC by combining two stratagems.  You know, if the thing you're hammering absolutely has to die that round.

Unfortunately I think you’re right. My plan had been to see if I could alter the head position on cataphractii with some major reworking of the torso. The idea was that a terminator’s head has always been bizarrely low down relative to its shoulders, so maybe I could make it more like the shape of an actual human at the same time as making it taller.

I don’t think that will work unfortunately. The proportions of the terminators are just so wrong, and anyway the style of their armour doesn’t resemble that of Primaris at all. It would require an absurd amount of work to merge these kits and I don’t think the end result would be all that good.

I see three potential uses for the various Terminators available.

First, I intend to run a TH/SS Assault Squad in a Land Raider Redeemer for a true line-breaker unit. As I play Salamanders I can make these guys exceptionally nasty as I can give an accompanying character (e.g. a Chaplain) a relic of +1 Attack for nearby units for a phase, I have the Stratagems to boost the damage against hardest targets like Knights (+1 To Wound) as well as make the Redeemer brutal (max shots from Flamestorm Cannons), and finally I can give the Land Raider +1 Toughness and/or -1 To Hit via a Librarian.

The regular Terminator squad has a nice place as a Deepstrike unit, dropping a lot of tough wounds and D2 weapons (Power Fists) where your opponent isn't going to want them. Can work as MSU or large unit. With Storm Bolters having a good rate-of-fire they can still dish out damage at range if the opponent tries to back away from them. A Tartaros unit might be able to perform a similar role, they are marginally faster to help avoid being left behind but do have a worse selection of Heavy Weapons.

The Cataphractii squad is excellent to use as front-line brawlers, pushing the opponent of objectives or taking out counter-chargers. With the way missions are structured you know that your opponent is going to at least contest the centre of the board and having a tough melee/shooting hybrid unit fighting in the centre will be difficult to deal with (especially if terrain obscures long-ranged shooting at the unit).

Unfortunately I think you’re right. My plan had been to see if I could alter the head position on cataphractii with some major reworking of the torso. The idea was that a terminator’s head has always been bizarrely low down relative to its shoulders, so maybe I could make it more like the shape of an actual human at the same time as making it taller.

I don’t think that will work unfortunately. The proportions of the terminators are just so wrong, and anyway the style of their armour doesn’t resemble that of Primaris at all. It would require an absurd amount of work to merge these kits and I don’t think the end result would be all that good.

I love merging Aggressors and Terminators:

Terminator Characters

Cataphractii

I love merging Aggressors and Terminators:

And with more Gravis coming out, this might be the way to go for better Terminator models.

Twenty lightning claws. Lightning claws, forever and forever, a hundred years lightning claws...things. Me and lightning claws, runnin' around and lightning claws time! All day long, forever! All- a hundred days lightning claws, forever, a hundred times. Over and over, lightning claws adventures dot com www dot lightning claws dot com www lightning claws adventures all hundred years! Every minute, lightning claws dot com www hundred times lightning claws dot com!

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

Yeah Plasma is coming back in a big way eh.

I wonder if all Terminator squads will have access to the Plasma Cannons going forwards, since Codex Dark Angels will be a supplement to the master Codex of Space Marines.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Yeah Plasma is coming back in a big way eh.

I wonder if all Terminator squads will have access to the Plasma Cannons going forwards, since Codex Dark Angels will be a supplement to the master Codex of Space Marines.

Plasma left?

More seriously, I doubt it for the same reason I doubt all codex tacticals will get heavy flamers, as its only in a BA specific kit version, just like the termie plasma cannon is in the DA terminator command squad box.

I've found normal terminators with storm bolters and 1 assault cannon and Tartaros Terminators with Reaper autocannon and plasma blaster very good at holding objectives, whilst dealing a reasonable amount of damage. I think they hang around longer than aggressors, but maybe don't kill as much whilst alive.

Edited by XeonDragon

Twenty lightning claws. Lightning claws, forever and forever, a hundred years lightning claws...things. Me and lightning claws, runnin' around and lightning claws time! All day long, forever! All- a hundred days lightning claws, forever, a hundred times. Over and over, lightning claws adventures dot com www dot lightning claws dot com www lightning claws adventures all hundred years! Every minute, lightning claws dot com www hundred times lightning claws dot com!

And thus my question is potentially answered! 

I am currently debating a purchase of the Ebon Keshig from FW for my White Scars... counts as Lightning Claws. 

My thought was that Duel Lightning Claws could be *brutal* coming from a scars unit on turn 3. A 3d6 charge (Rivalry strat), combine this with easy access to up to +2 on the charge if you *really* need them to connect. 

Now make them str 5 (easy for scars), D2 (scars turn 3 assault doctrine), Ap -3 (assault doctrine), 4 swings per model.... This unit could shred a great number of targets on a charge turn with good followup, 3 wounds as well now.... Feels like a really powerful drop. 

I think there is very real on table potential for one unit of these to do quite well coming from the White Scars. I want to use minimal non-Primaris in my list frankly to future proof the list, but I don't think Terminators are going anywhere, Iconic and in many respects now sound great on paper.  (also, I need an excuse in my life to own that Qin Xa figure, so any thoughts on using him would be welcome) 

Thoughts everyone? 

Edited by Sonoftherubric21

I don’t know how the math works out but I would think that with the White Scars Chapter Litany to re-roll wounds that the basic Power Fist Storm Bolter Terminators would be just as effective. Yeah you lose 1 melee attack but gain a damage on a hut plus 4 Storm Bolter shots. Add in Cyclone Missile Launchers and there isn’t much that unit doesn’t threaten.