Starting World Eaters

Ulrik_Ironfist

To start this off, I'm here asking for a friend. He's too stubborn to listen to things that I have to say so I figured that I'd ask y'all for some guidance.

My friend really like the World Eaters. He wants to do 40k, and that's fine, he's not into the 30k scene and I guess that's fine. I need some help figuring out how to do world eaters since FW no longer has most of the 40k bits and I want to try to help.

His big issue seems to be the lack of conversion bits from FW (but let's face it, FW is super expensive for what you get) and that's understandable considering that the CSM box got updated making them truescale. So I was wondering how would you go about doing world eaters?

He wants the legion symbol and the bunny ears and all the classic world eaters stuff, so he doesn't want to just do Red CSM and call them world eaters, and I understand  that, I didn't want to do Raven Guard without the trimmings either.

Big thing that's standing in his way is that he's prone to fits of histrionics over this and gets all doom and gloom and flies into a tizzy and he won't seek help of his own volition. He said he's tried to join here at the B&C but couldn't (I don't know why) and I want a big ol' knowledge stick to whack him upside the head with.

Sounds like you might have a bit of difficulty presenting your friend with options he'll consider.

I've heard a lot of people have used bits from the Age of Sigmar Blood Warriors and other Blades of Khorne range to make use of some pretty brutal and Khornate heads and weapons. They won't have anything for the legion symbol though and the current transfers don't include transfers for the World Eaters. 

This could be a hint of an incoming codex or supplement though, so if he's patient he may get a full throttled World Eaters book and dedicated model range like with Thousand Sons and Death Guard. At the same time though, that could be a while off and is just speculation.

Edited by Llagos_Tyrant

+1 on the Blood Warriors. You get a ton of heads, axes and breastplates that work perfectly with the CSM kit for Berzerkers. You could pretty much use them straight out of the box, but I'd recommend putting some backpacks on them at least so it looks like they're wearing power armour.

The whole Khorne Bloodbound range is an absolute treasure trove of bits for 40k Khorne. Skullcrushers are expensive, but have some amazing bits; Skullreapers have all the daemon weapons and thunder hammer heads you could possibly hope for, not to mention a ton of icons; Bloodreavers make excellent Cultists.

Definitely Khârn the model rocks and he's Khârn.

For bits I do recommend the fw bits, where ever he gets them.. There's less than official connections out there including a site I've seen that does nothing but discontinued FW stuff.

Anyway I have some berzerkers I made with a combo of the WE upgrades (both flavors) and mixed bodies including a full squad based off the sons of Horus reavers models. The mismatched armour is fitting IMO and the chipped and cracked resin really just adds to the feel.

On that note the wings from the warp talons jump packs make very credible blades for chainaxe conversions.

Lastly I have a friend with the red butchers models and I can recommend these as well.

Otherwise gotta agree with AoS. There's some really slick kitbashes out there if he's wanting to work a little harder.

I know im in the minority here but i dont mind the old berzerker models. To me there is something to be said for keeping your troops models relatively simplistic and then putting more effort into HQs and elites.

Anyway, I also recommend the forgeworld WE upgrades. I made a few HQs using that, the assault marine kit and new CSM kit bits. And the Zhufor model is awesome in my opinion. I just run him as a regular termie lord, usually with gorefather since he has a suitably gnarly chainaxe.

Depending where you are, FW may actually work out cheaper in the long run than kitbashing blood warriors from Age of Sigmar for WE. Or due to price increases, the gap between FW and GW main is only a slight gap between staple units, may as well pay the extra and get the FW stuff for convenience sake. You could also just tell him to get the new CSM and just get the blood warrior heads off bits sites, ebay etc. Old zerker chainaxes are a bit of a premium on bits sites. CSM takes a bit more commitment these days... 

Edited by MegaVolt87

The Corpsegrinder Cult for Necromunda is a pretty solid source for Khorne-looking stuff as well.

My Khorney bois also use plenty of Fantasy stuff for Cultists as well (Bloodreavers and Beastmen - about half of them have been given a gun or chain weapon).

If there's anywhere local that sells second-hand minis, I'd likely troll them for OG Berzerkers so you could nab the bunny ears and chainaxes from them to plop on the new marine bodies...

At the end of the day, I'd remember that one realistically does not need a tonne of actual Berzerkers in a list. So, it can sound very expensive to customize them using different kitbashes, but if your friend can find just a few cheaper/acceptable bits options, he'll be well on his way with just a couple purchases to throw into the main CSM line.

The Legion icon will be alot harder to get from official sources, I'm afraid... But there are 3d printers out there with decent options if that's a route he's willing to go.

KILLMAIMBURN etc.

The Good Doctor.

I couldn't find them last month either. Hopefully they are only temporarily unavailable.

However if the FW conversion kit is permanently gone then I plan on kitbashing a box of of Age of Sigmar Wrathmongers/Skullreapers when I buy and assemble Bloodgrin's Bastards, my squad of 8 Red Butchers termies.

I couldn't find them last month either. Hopefully they are only temporarily unavailable.

However if the FW conversion kit is permanently gone then I plan on kitbashing a box of of Age of Sigmar Wrathmongers/Skullreapers when I buy and assemble Bloodgrin's Bastards, my squad of 8 Red Butchers termies.

How do those measure up to the size of termies?