Super Glue

INKS

A while ago I bought Gorilla Superglue. I've used it once, sealed it back up and now it seems to have just gotten stuck at the bottom of the bottle. I've turned it upside down figuring it would slowly make it's way down but I don't know what else to do.

Is it trash?

Should I maybe drill a hole in the bottom? I dunno.

You may need to warm it up to effectively 'melt' the glue. The company I work for sells that glue and I have never heard of the problem that you have but I've had that with superglue-esq products before and just warming them up has solved it for me. If not then take it back to where you bought it from and ge an exchange.

Gorilla seems thick and gloopy anyway. My experience is that if it goes like that' it's been setting in the bottle and will essentially be useless anyway. If it's stuck to the bottom it's dead.

Heat and moisture cure the glus, so I dont see why heating it will help - it's not honey!

How long between opening and trying again? Note that you can't "re-seal" the glue unless you vacuum the air out of it. You can put it in the fridge to slow the reation down and prolong shelf life. 

I usually prefer Loctite as it is medium viscosity and seems less prone than some other brands to setting in the bottle. Just be aware that superglue does set on contact with air and as soon as you open the bottle, this will start to happen. Storing the bottle in an airtight ziplock bag between uses will help extend the lifespan but ultimately it is the nature of the product to go off in the bottle if not used up reasonably quickly.

I don't know. Months between uses.

Gorilla seems thick and gloopy anyway. My experience is that if it goes like that' it's been setting in the bottle and will essentially be useless anyway. If it's stuck to the bottom it's dead.

Heat and moisture cure the glus, so I dont see why heating it will help - it's not honey!

How long between opening and trying again? Note that you can't "re-seal" the glue unless you vacuum the air out of it. You can put it in the fridge to slow the reation down and prolong shelf life. 

Yea, after 3 months open, it's probably not good anymore!

This is why GW started selling glue in 5ml tubes, so it doesn't go off.

As with Karhedron, I discovered loctite recently after a lifetime of sticking with GW glue. Relatively cheap and has a great non-block nozzle (seemingly). Foil tube, though.

Yea, after 3 months open, it's probably not good anymore!

This is why GW started selling glue in 5ml tubes, so it doesn't go off.

As with Karhedron, I discovered loctite recently after a lifetime of sticking with GW glue. Relatively cheap and has a great non-block nozzle (seemingly). Foil tube, though.

That may be a local vendor thing, they have plastic dropper bottles as well as brush bottles. They’ve also got a weird sku that puts the metal tube into a plastic housing, easier to apply at least.

Wanna hear some irony?  I’ve had a bottle of loctite that lost its cap sitting on a shelf open to the world for months and it’s still liquid as the day I bought it, ask me why and I couldn’t tell you, but the same couldn’t be said for the bottle I bought before it that sealed its cap on while It solidified in the bottle at a jaunty angle. And people wonder why I put my models together with bluetac...

You can buy various cyanoacrylates in tiny single use tubes (I think the ones I've used are 0.5g). Since my hobby time is sporadic at best, I've found them much better than large or even small bottles. They seem like less of a value, but when 50% or more of my regular bottle of glue is going to waste by setting in the container, that turns out to be a false savings. You might try something like that; in a hobby like this, an experiment that costs 5 monies or less is pretty insignificant.

You can buy various cyanoacrylates in tiny single use tubes (I think the ones I've used are 0.5g). Since my hobby time is sporadic at best, I've found them much better than large or even small bottles. They seem like less of a value, but when 50% or more of my regular bottle of glue is going to waste by setting in the container, that turns out to be a false savings. You might try something like that; in a hobby like this, an experiment that costs 5 monies or less is pretty insignificant.

This is a great way to go. I used dollar store crazy glue in foil tubes for the longest time. I do not think it saved me money however, went through the tubes very quick and they do not seal great so often i was throwing the leftovers away. Also I had issues with the foil depressing quickly and flooding my target with too much glue. Some very comedic moments of having model hobby knife glue tube paper towel and qtip all glued to my hands at once could be yours!

Bob smith industries makes excellent super glue products. Best I have ever used.

I just bought some to try but the size of the bottle and how slowly I use superglue makes me nervous about cracking the seal.  If I were doing a lot of FW stuff I'd feel better.

Also if you guys haven't tried Loctite Pens give them a shot.  https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Super-Glue-Gel-Precision/dp/B07797SXXD

They're still pretty cheap at Walmart for me and I haven't had one dry out inside because I think the inside is shaped like a flexible tube.  I don't think any air gets up inside of it unlike bottles with a hole and the stuff always comes out till it goes empty.  It's thicker so I love it using it for putting a little dollop on when gluing magnets because I don't end up with sticky fingers.

Gorilla superglue has held for me pretty well but I find the gel separates unless I shake it which is easy to forget until I've squirted a bunch of liquid everywhere.  

Edited by Fajita Fan