My issues with scale between miniatures and video games.

TrashMan

On the topic of whether the scale to lore mismatch is a choice. I distinctly remember an interview with Jes Goodwin once where he remarked that it was a choice, because if the rhino were to scale with the marines, it would take a whole movement phase to get from the front to the back, so it was deliberate.

Pretty much. Like, here's some numbers so everyone can understand/

The canon, in-universe dimensions of a Rhino are: 6.6 metres long, 4.5 metres wide and 3.6 metres tall

If that was properly scaled down to the 28mm scale it'd be: 9.3 inches long, 6.3 inches wide and 5 inches tall.

A Land Raider (the Phobos pattern) for example as well in case people still can't understand:

In universe size: 10.3 metres long, 6.1 metres wide and 4.11 metres tall

Actual 28mm scale size: 14.5 inches long, 8.6 inches wide, 6.7 inches tall

Which is, uhh.... Just a bit silly. The Rhino would be the length of the Baneblade model, but wider and taller.

Your math is way off. In proper 1/64th scale, IE, true 28mm, the dimensions of the Rhino would be: L 4.1", W2.8", H2.2". These numbers are rounded slightly for brevity, but still accurate enough for our purposes. 

However, as Warhammer is Heroic Scale, and thus not true 1/64th, you might want to use 1/48th vehicles for a better aesthetic. In that case, the dimensions would be L5.4", W3.7", H3". Even in this instance you've just about doubled the actual scale size. Not sure how you wound up with your numbers, but a Rhino isn't far off on the table from where it is supposed to be.

Eh I don't know about that. From what I've seen, particularly considering the recent scale up via Primaris, the Rhino could do with being about 20-30% larger than the size it is now. It really is hard to believe that Rhinos can fit ten marines in there without them being stacked up like huge, blue pieces of jenga. 

Technically the rhino should be ABOUT (not exact but the difference is negligible) the size of a land raider.

EDIT: Awesome thread btw great read.

For reference there was a thread a few years back where someone actually discussed and explained how the Bolter would work (all hypothetical of course) alk the way to going into mechanical depth of the weapon and the rounds as well.

Another fantastic read if it can be found.

EDIT 2: There have been some art released over the years comparing the differences of human to space marines (in and out of armor) and it was safe (back then) to believe that the 7 foot range was the small end for marines with about 8.5 feet being the normal top end. Of course there were exceptions even then (Ranulf of 2nd ed space wolves for one) but i believe that now the small end of space marine height is 7.5 feet with primaris probably being at 8 feet for the small end.

This would make it safe to assume that a human is at least a head shorter than a marine and a primaris is at least a head taller than a marine.

Edited by Wulf Vengis

Honestly I find those heights comically absurd. :D

7 feet, outside of the armour is more than sufficient.

I was going to say "If ya like comical sizes, check out the pics from the Marneus comic thread..."

One of those has him looking like one of the aforementioned "10 foot tall and bullet proof" super-sized Marines - it definitely looks comical in my eyes.

I was looking for this and found it again, he did this with the dimensions listed in IA for the Landraider. The abrams tank body is 25’ long and the LR comes out to almost 34’. I need to reinstall photoshop anyway but I can check the pixel ratios to see if the proportions match.

https://www.deviantart.com/andromonoid/art/Warhammer-40k-tank-size-comparison-658333534

This would be a really impressive size for a video game, and look at that Carnifex...

Old lore, power armored marine is 7 feet, terminators are 8 feet and wider than a power armored one, Demon prince is 10 feet tall, probably at least double a terminator's width, without counting any wings. Average primaris is 8 feet, probably why so much art has primaris and termi's together over power armored old marines in comparison these days IMO.

Daemon Princes at 10 feet actually makes sense to me.

Daemon Princes being described with a standardized height does not make much sense to me at all.

I didnt want to type up 'given the variation present being infinite' on my phone at the time. Looking at things from a scale perspective on the table top to 'real life' is all I'm saying. The plastic Daemon Prince for example, at 10 feet, would seem semi logical.