Exterminatus Weapons VS Enemy Ships?

Whitelion

There are 2 main types of exterminatus weapons that get mentioned in the lore. The first is the life-eater virus which digests everything organic on the planet before immolating it in a planet-wide firestorm. The second is cyclonic torpedoes. These pierce the crust and disrupt the mantle causing the planet to tear itself apart with tectonic upheaval.

It is not clear what effect either of these would have on another ship. Spacecraft by their nature are compartmentalised and easily sealed. The chances are that the life eater virus would not be able to spread beyond the section where it detonated as there would be no open atmosphere. We do not know the mechanism by which cyclonic torpedoes work so it is not clear how effective they would be. The closest example we have in the fluff is a Chaos ship that managed to hit the Craftworld of Iyanden with a cyclonic torpedo in the incident that saw Admiral Yriel banished. The detonation killed tens of thousands of Eldar and did great damaged to the Craftworld but did not destroy it. This suggests that cyclonic torpedoes are designed to be used against planetary targets and are not sufficiently effective against vessels to be worth using compared to cheaper conventional ordnance.

There are 2 main types of exterminatus weapons that get mentioned in the lore. The first is the life-eater virus which digests everything organic on the planet before immolating it in a planet-wide firestorm. The second is cyclonic torpedoes. These pierce the crust and disrupt the mantle causing the planet to tear itself apart with tectonic upheaval.

It is not clear what effect either of these would have on another ship. Spacecraft by their nature are compartmentalised and easily sealed. The chances are that the life eater virus would not be able to spread beyond the section where it detonated as there would be no open atmosphere. We do not know the mechanism by which cyclonic torpedoes work so it is not clear how effective they would be. The closest example we have in the fluff is a Chaos ship that managed to hit the Craftworld of Iyanden with a cyclonic torpedo in the incident that saw Admiral Yriel banished. The detonation killed tens of thousands of Eldar and did great damaged to the Craftworld but did not destroy it. This suggests that cyclonic torpedoes are designed to be used against planetary targets and are not sufficiently effective against vessels to be worth using compared to cheaper conventional ordnance.

Thank you very much, please you remember the quote? Or you remember the title o the novel ?

If this question is specifically about the Battlefleet Gothic game (since it's in the Other Games forum), exterminatus weapons/attacks can only be used against planets (see scenario 9 in the BFG rulebook and the modification for Adeptus Astartes battle barges in Armada).

Thank you very much, please you remember the quote? Or you remember the title o the novel ?

It is in the 6th edition Iyanden supplement.

Thaks a lot , i've found it, please beacause are over 190 pages, did you remember where should will be this? Thaks a lot, and excuse me for my bad english , i'm not secure for the use of "should" or "would" in this period

The Ultramarines or Blood Angels used cyclonic warheads against the "ship" which approached Davin in Ruinstorm.

This is a precius info, please can you tell me if is in a novel or in a codex? Thanks a lot in advice for kindness

If this question is specifically about the Battlefleet Gothic game (since it's in the Other Games forum), exterminatus weapons/attacks can only be used against planets (see scenario 9 in the BFG rulebook and the modification for Adeptus Astartes battle barges in Armada).

any use , in game and in novel, or any other source of canon

Edited by Whitelion

Thaks a lot , i've found it, please beacause are over 190 pages, did you remember where should will be this? Thaks a lot, and excuse me for my bad english , i'm not secure for the use of "should" or "would" in this period

Pages 20 & 21.

Pages 20 & 21.

Thank you very much, i found it, i very appreciate it

Ruinstorm is a Heresy Novel. It features a combined fleet of three legions fighting daemonic constructions in realspace. It includes the largest bombardment in human history, and the use of cyclonic warheads in combat with a Daemon 'ship'.

wow, it's exactly the type of novel i prefer, thanks a lot, please did you remember if the scene with ciclonic torpedoes VS daemon ship is at the beginning, in the middle or at the end of novel?

• 2 weeks later...

Someone know what novel is?

In other forum a guy claim: "The only instance I can think of is when HDMS Lord Solar Macharius uses cyclonic torpedoes (of which they only have a few, specially issued for the task) to destroy a particularly nasty ork infestation in an asteroid belt. They're fired at the ork Roks"

I recommend checking out the Lexicanum references for both "Solar Macharius" and "cyclonic torpedoes" - any references that are common to both entries are good candidates to be the source of the information that you're looking for.

I recovered this quote:

"Marduk cast his gaze towards the slowly spinning three-dimensional display showing the relative positions of the Chaos battlefleet. He paid particular attention to the blinking icon that represented the massive xenos vessel. For now, at least, it remained stationary. Already, the Chaos battleships had begun pummelling its sheer hide with cyclonic torpedoes and ordnance, but they had thus far elicited no response; nor had they caused any noticeable effect. "

- Dark Creed

The xenos ship should be a Cairn Class Necron, therefore very maneuverable, suggesting that cyclone torpedoes retain a good ability to hit agile targets, and that they can be used successfully against non-titanic naval targets