New-ish

Nazgvl

Hi everyone, first post here, coming back to the game after about 15 years. A friend of mine had gotten me interested in the 40k universe back around 2004, and I ended up starting to collect a Dark Angels army. Didnt get very far though, life intervened and I had to put the hobby aside. So having said that, coming back now, all of the books I have are either 3rd  or 2nd edition, and all the minis are from the 2004-2005 area, mostly plastic with a couple metal minis sprinkled in. Im hoping you guys will be able to point me in the direction of what books id need to have to get started in 9th edition, and any minis I should be looking at to fill out what ive got (or if any of what I have is no longer valid stuff)  for my Dark Angels army.

Anyways, I have:

20x Tactical Marines (2 squads?)
5x Terminators

3x Attack Bikes

2x Land Speeders

3x Veteran Seargents

1x Techmarine

1x Apothecary

1x Standard Bearer

1x Captain
Azrael w/ Helmet Minion
1x MkIIc Rhino

1x Razorback

I appreciate any help you guys can give. Also mods feel free to move this to wherver it needs to be if this isnt the right place.

All valid bro. Might want to put them on 32mm bases (new standard for marines) tho. All the older stuff is about to get brought in line with the new stuff too so you won't be at a disadvantage against people with the new toys.

As far as books go, you can get the core 40K rules for free as a PDF (they're a lot more streamlined) and as for army rules, have a look into Battlescribe.

As Jings said, everything you have is still valid. Just make sure to put them on 32mm bases (characters on 40mm) and you're fine.

As to the books, the core rules are free, but if you want the rule book with all the current, up-to-date fluff, it's available as well. There's also the "mini" rulebook in the Command Edition (the biggest starter set) which comes with only the rules, no fluff (which makes it a much better choice for bringing to games because it's a tiny paperback and not a viable bludgeoning weapon).

Dark Angels rules are currently in Codex: Dark Angels, Vigilus Defiant, and Psychic Awakening: Ritual of the Damned. However, there's a new Codex for Space Marines due out in October, and Dark Angels are getting a supplement.

Just as a side note, there's not much in Vigilus: Defiant, and it'll probably get superseded with the October release anyway.

Currently, the rules support for Dark Angels mostly lands on Ravenwing, Deathwing, and Primaris stuff. There are stratagems that can be used by Firstborn Marine Greenwing units, but there are no strats that are specifically intended for them. My advice would be to limit purchases on any Firstborn units that aren't Ravenwing or Deathwing. Maybe pick up a box of robed Veterans, but I wouldn't get much else from the Firstborn Greenwing range

Thanks for the responses guys.

I dont actually have much of that list painted/assembled, just a squad of the tactical marines and two robed veterans. Not so good for posting pictures, but I guess that works out in not having to mess with a ton of minis trying to rebase them. So quick question there about the bases, the regular marines (and terminators?) get the 32mm right? So do the HQ squad guys, like the tech marine or apothecary get 32mm too or would they be 40mm characters? Or is that just reserved for named units like Azrael, and would his helmet minion get the 40mm too or 32mm?

Ive got a 3d printer, so I figure I can make new bases for everything I currently own, as the new stuff would come with the corrected sizes right?

The primaris stuff is all new to me, and I get the general gist of basically upgraded marines, but not so much how they fit in specifically with the non-standard style of the Dark Angels. Are there primaris units that fit into the Ravenwing and Deathwing? Or are they strictly replacements/upgrades to the base marine squads?

Also, probably a dumb question, but is there an upcoming releases list/schedule posted anywhere? I like collecting the various codex books, so having a heads up on if its worth it to buy any existing book or if its getting replaced soon would be awesome.

Thanks again for the responses everyone.

So quick question there about the bases, the regular marines (and terminators?) get the 32mm right? So do the HQ squad guys, like the tech marine or apothecary get 32mm too or would they be 40mm characters? Or is that just reserved for named units like Azrael, and would his helmet minion get the 40mm too or 32mm?

Ive got a 3d printer, so I figure I can make new bases for everything I currently own, as the new stuff would come with the corrected sizes right?

The primaris stuff is all new to me, and I get the general gist of basically upgraded marines, but not so much how they fit in specifically with the non-standard style of the Dark Angels. Are there primaris units that fit into the Ravenwing and Deathwing? Or are they strictly replacements/upgrades to the base marine squads?

Also, probably a dumb question, but is there an upcoming releases list/schedule posted anywhere? I like collecting the various codex books, so having a heads up on if its worth it to buy any existing book or if its getting replaced soon would be awesome.

This is the breakdown for bases for the Firstborn, as Primaris all come with the proper base sizes for them.

• 25mm: Scouts, Servitors and Watchers in the Dark
  • 32mm base: All regular Marines
  • 40mm: Characters (all), Terminators

With Azrael, his helmet Watcher goes on a 25mm base. Most newer Marine kits come with the proper sized bases, so any new kit you'll be fine with the bases that come with them.

Regarding Primaris: They're basically rescaled Marines that GW made an in-universe justification for, because the other option would be telling players "sorry, your marines are all too short". Which uhh... Wouldn't have been good.  In-game, they're basically more powerful, but inflexible. The Intercessors (Primaris tacticals) for example, have better bolt rifles than Tactical Marines, but ALL have the same gun, no variations in the squad, barring the Sergeant who can take Primaris Sergeant Wargear.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I dont actually have much of that list painted/assembled, just a squad of the tactical marines and two robed veterans. Not so good for posting pictures, but I guess that works out in not having to mess with a ton of minis trying to rebase them. So quick question there about the bases, the regular marines (and terminators?) get the 32mm right? So do the HQ squad guys, like the tech marine or apothecary get 32mm too or would they be 40mm characters? Or is that just reserved for named units like Azrael, and would his helmet minion get the 40mm too or 32mm?

see pm

Ahah ok, 25mm are the original sized bases that im currently using right?

Didnt know that all of the marines in the various primaris squads were identical save for the sergeant. Guess that makes the old marine squads with their small handful of heavy weapons still useful, especially if they are also getting the two wounds buff with the new rules.

Lol makes sense for GW to fluff out the resized models, I can imagine the torches and pitchforks coming out if everyone had to suddenly replace 3/4 of their marine armies.

Went and dug out/dusted off the few marines I did complete back in the day and took a pic. Surprised they are all still in one piece after 15 years.

https://imgur.com/QfiyJOF

Ahah ok, 25mm are the original sized bases that im currently using right?

Didnt know that all of the marines in the various primaris squads were identical save for the sergeant. Guess that makes the old marine squads with their small handful of heavy weapons still useful, especially if they are also getting the two wounds buff with the new rules.

Lol makes sense for GW to fluff out the resized models, I can imagine the torches and pitchforks coming out if everyone had to suddenly replace 3/4 of their marine armies.

Yup, pre-6th Edition Marines were on 25mm bases. And yes, the variety of weapons is what makes Firstborn different from Primaris. Essentially, each is a tool with different roles. Primaris are powerful, but inflexible; Firstborn are flexible, but not as powerful.

And yes, that's pretty much why they did that. Like, look up what happened when Warhammer Fantasy Battle was killed and replaced with Age of Sigmar. Now, imagine that, but even crazier. That'd be what would have happened if GW did that to Marine players :laugh.:

And your dudes look very good by the way :tu:

Edited by Gederas

Thanks Gederas!

Put my 3d printer to work over the weekend making bases for all of the units I havent assembled yet, and as luck would have it, there was a 25mm to 32mm adapter design available on thingiverse, so I wouldnt have to pull my finished marines apart for new bases afterall.

https://imgur.com/a/nq9gwTY

Also went to the local warhammer store in St Augustine and dropped a small fortune on paint, so I should be good to go on starting up the rest.

Just to make sure I have the right bases for the new stuff..

25mm:

Scouts
Azrael's helmet watcher

32mm:

Tactical marines

40mm:

Terminators

Azreal

Where does the Apothecary, Techmarine, Standard Bearer and Captain fall? 32mm or 40mm? Also do bikes use bases now, because I dont believe they came with any.

Welcome back to the Rock!

Nice work on those adapters

About bases you will use 32mm for all power armours 40mm for terminators and oval 75mmx42mm for the bikes

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-75-46-Oval-Bases

For attack bike you don't need a base but if you Want to put them on one i suggest you the round 80mm base

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Citadel-80-Round-Base

About scouts we are awaiting the repackaged ones that will come out with the 25mm or if they will go on the newly introduced 28mm one or the 32mm like the Power Armoured marines

80mm for Attack Bikes is a bit big Sheol. They fit perfectly fine on 60mm (Dreadnought bases), imo

On the 60mm the wheels and hanging on the edges of the base and part of the bike is out of the base rim

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GmsXgDPGy4o/TC0dHfsQo8I/AAAAAAAAACI/jaW7cyjLsHg/s1600/35dd.jpg

On the 80mm the attack bike fits perfectly the new bike oval bases are 75x42mm btw so the 80mm rund is about double the size of a oval bike base and fits that the attack bike is almost double the size of a regular bike

80mm for Attack Bikes is a bit big Sheol. They fit perfectly fine on 60mm (Dreadnought bases), imo

On the 60mm the wheels and hanging on the edges of the base and part of the bike is out of the base rim

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GmsXgDPGy4o/TC0dHfsQo8I/AAAAAAAAACI/jaW7cyjLsHg/s1600/35dd.jpg

On the 80mm the attack bike fits perfectly the new bike oval bases are 75x42mm btw so the 80mm rund is about double the size of a oval bike base and fits that the attack bike is almost double the size of a regular bike

has me wondering how the attack bike would look on double ovals, sort of decorated to look like a cracked and broken highway with the gap played up as a crevasse. just stylistically im aware its technically illegal on table

Thanks for the replies guys. Looked through my bits again and its regular bikes that I have, not attack bikes, so the oval bases. Only have three, so a quick print job and im good to go.

Speaking of printing, made myself a painting handle. <3 3d printing.

https://imgur.com/a/XUM5X5R

Hopefully have time to start painting some new stuff this weekend.

Those base extensions are clever. That is a solution I would not have thought of. How long do they take to print? And how much does it cost to print each one?

Not too long. Printing the dozen sets I needed took maybe a couple hours, and 50 cents worth of filament lol.

has me wondering how the attack bike would look on double ovals, sort of decorated to look like a cracked and broken highway with the gap played up as a crevasse. just stylistically im aware its technically illegal on table

I'm using the sector imperalis bases for my bikes and speeders. HERE

For the regular bikes I used the smaller 75 ovals

For my speeders and attack bikes I use the 90 ovals

med_gallery_8790_12266_816173.jpg

med_gallery_8790_12266_13223.jpg

I felt that the 60 circle base had way to much overhang, especially given how much of the base ends up being empty.

The 75 oval also had more overhang than I liked.

The 90 ovals on the other hand have a similar amount of framing on the side like the 75 ovals have for regular bikes.

So, for units like the standard bearer and any sergeants or heroes that have the banners, what do you use for the flags themselves? I dont have the dexterity/ability to paint one out by hand on cloth, so just google image search and printouts? I feel like that would look kinda chinsey..