Summoned Daemons in 9th

Snazzy

Is there any use for the Daemonic Ritual ability in 9th?  Bloodletters look decent for their cost compared to what is being speculated about 2W Space Marines.  I don't know about the other Daemons.  Better than Cultists, but not ObSec.

Follow up dummy question... how does the Daemonic Ritual ability work with Daemon units from the Chaos Daemons Codex?  Would i have to take a Detachment of Chaos Daemons, or could i run them as reinforcements of my CSM Detachment?

The daemons you summon in don't form part of any detachment - so, yes, you can summon any unit out of that codex but all you get is the datasheet and none of the other rules like daemonic locus or access to their relics and stratagems.

You could take a separate detachment of codex: daemons, in which case you would get access to their stratagems & relics.  If you had points left over, you could use them for reinforcements via demonic ritual, which could be summoned by either/both your marine characters and your daemon characters.  You could use codex:daemon stratagems on the  summoned daemons (as all you need to access and use them is a valid detachment that is all codex: demon units, at which point you can use them on any codex: demon unit, regardless of whether it is part of that detachment or not.  You could not, however, put a codex: demon relic on a summoned character - that has to go on a character from the detachment.

Its a little complicated, and the rules for summoning generally aren't worth the complexity they bring - unless you use the summoning psychic power that the Master of Possession gets access to, as that at least lets you move and summon in the same turn.

The range summoning gives you means you could effectively place a unit 12" from a current character. On its own, that character is unlikely to get that distance unless it's got a jump pack. Dropping a tough unit on objectives with this extra push is helpful. It is also very useful for gaining access to specific units if you don't want to lose CP on a detachment. A Master of Possessions can do this much more effectively with a psychic power.

So far in 9th, the only thing I've summoned is a Poxbringer for the psychic power and buff to NURGLE DAEMON Marines. In addition to the useful support roll, he has been an extra body that I was able to summon onto an objective from cover.

Edit: it's also worth mentioning that when you set aside your points for summoning, you don't need to assign them to models. They are not typical reserves in that manner. They do not exist until you summon them, at which point you must spend the reserved points to bring them into play following the rules for Daemonic ritual. This also adds an element of versatility. The overall usefulness of said versatility is debatable, but you could summon psychic support, you could summon a wall of bodies, you could summon a squad of bloodletters, you could summon something speedy, you could summon a melee monster and you don't have to decide before the game. In 8th it was widely considered better just to take a detachment of Daemons but in 9th you are penalized for doing that, so summoning is comparatively better now.

Edited by Doom Herald

I´ve also had some success with  a Slaanesh- list that summons the Masque. The army runs EC and Slaanesh. The Slaasnesh pratrol has lots of units witth the DAEMONETTE keyword, such as both Syll´Eske, Contorted Eptiome, daemonettes and seekers. Usually I move some units forewards, summon the masque near or on an midfield objective and use the Masque to raise the banners.

So in that particular list I find the 85 reinforcements well invested.

After absorbing more info on summoning i'm thinking there is something there.  The restrictions on summoning Daemons with similar Mark of Chaos as your character seems to be a big one for me.  I do like that there is no restriction on summoning when in engagement range.  I think 100 points might be the most i'd commit:

10 Bloodletters with Instrument to keep the power level low.

4 Flamers

3 Screamers

I'm not super impressed with the Psyker powers without larger numbers of Daemons to benefit from the buff powers.  As is, just use it as a sideboard to respond to the variations in opponent factions in a tournament.

Poxbringers are not a bad summon for supporting a nurgle daemon engine like a venomcrawler (mark of nurgle of course). They can either cast -1 to hit on them or heal them d3 wounds. Also gives them +1S, which is nice on a venomcrawler because it has a ranged weapon based on strength. Not super strong but there is at least some synergy.

Exactly. In my case I use them with my Mutilators and Greater Possessed. In my Bile army, that puts my NURGLE DAEMON Marines at a total +3 strength (accounting for legion trait), with a healer. If it fits your army, Heralds are definitely worth the summon, they also aren't too high in power level so the summon generally goes as planned.