Bazza's Painted Stuff

Bazza

I used to play 40k way back when but dropped out for a long time, beyond slowly collecting and painting for fun and occasionally fielding them with a different ruleset.  I've recently started to get back into it because my son (who is now 8) was interested.  Then we watched the Indomidus box reveal and he discovered the Necrons and that was that.  I have a decently sized classic marine army but for fluff and other reasons never wanted to put any primaris stuff into it, so I figured it was a good opportunity to start a new force.  As one does.

So here are my Sons of Horus chapter.

Horus Caphelos, 3rd Company Captain

39w3TFL.jpg

IttJzL0.jpg

Lieutenant

jpSVjsN.jpg

Justaerin Bladeguard

RWSBxZV.jpg

mieGt7m.jpg

Assault Intercessors

PMwNW0T.jpg

4lHIHL1.jpg

Eradicators

xxpiFfu.jpg

Librarian

syNtiiL.jpg

Chaplain

nT1xNrS.jpg

And some very old metal to help out my very new plastic: my venerable dreadnought, the Revered Ancestor Garviel Loken, hero of the Great Crusade.

nIHJbvg.jpg

0bsQH8z.jpg

Still have a few things from the Indomidus box in progress, and a box of regular Intercessors, but I'm really happy with how they've come out so far.

Thanks for the kind words!  

Beautiful works. I recognize a lot of parts from Primaris Marine models. Are these Sons of Horus from an alternate universe where the Primarch and his Legion remained loyal?

Yup.  I have a developing story line for it in my head that I ought to write down at some point, but this is a loyalist Chapter descended from a Legion that didn't turn in an alternate heresy.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a bunch of objective markers for 40k on 40mm bases, since that's how you do it now, and it gave me the opportunity to get this very old fellow into play.  Had him forever and never found a thing for him to do, so it's nice to have him on the table.

8fvR2EW.jpg

It's traditional for my fellows to spend their time rescuing wayward Ultras who got lost.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to some of my other armies, here is my other marine force, the Solar Wolves.  Considering how long I've had this army I should be a lot further along with painting it ...

Tactical squad

qMqFPfP.jpg

vIfvre5.jpg

Devastators

Qko0Anq.jpg

ZMpuuWi.jpg

2dDuLvz.jpg

Nocturnis veteran terminator squad

ZSYxntc.jpg

(Extremely) Veteran Sergeant

UGWCjRz.jpg

My two chunky metal dreads, one regular and one venerable. Gotta love dropping a few pounds of iron on the table.

iN2yj3J.jpg

Solar Priest

WcjdUU1.jpg

Librarians

HUr9IAg.jpg

km6oxjb.jpg

And the Grand Duke.

JeRuRFw.jpg

8HzDo9M.jpg

7ovEob5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Inheritor Intercessor squad Hector, alongside a Sons of Horus intercessor:

kDBJ7Sp.jpg

As befitted the size and renown of the XVI Legion, a large number of successor chapters were formed from their gene stock in the Second Founding.  At least sixteen successor chapters of the bloodline of Horus claim the Second Founding as their origin.

Between the fall of Horus and the end of the Siege of Terra, the Mournival was crucial in holding the legion of Horus together.  When Garviel Loken began reforming the survivors of his Legion into the Second Founding, he sought the support of the Mournival, though the most senior members of the Legion were compelled to depart to lead successor chapters of their own.  Each chose from among their fellows an emissary to return to the parent chapter to serve in this way.  That tradition continues to this day: four senior captains of successor chapters serving the master of the Sons of Horus as their Mournival.

Moreover, the Sons and their various successor chapters frequently deploy mixed squads composed of marines drawn from all of the chapters claiming the bloodline of Horus.  These Inheritor squads have become an essential part of the strength of the Sons of Horus and their brother chapters.  This seconded service is seen as a reinforcing of the ties that bind the Sons together and honour given to the memory of their fallen Primarch.  

Through the Mournival and the Inheritor squads, the Sons of Horus retain strong bonds of fellowship and tradition, allowing them to act with a combined strength well in excess of what any could manage alone.

EWV6jip.jpg

q0wT8v1.jpg

Despite his best efforts, Ezekyle Abaddon survived the siege of Terra and lived to assume the role of founding Chapter Master of this successor chapter.  Drawing on the black armour and martial traditions of his Justaerin Terminators, the Black Legion Chapter are famed for their choleric temperament and fury in battle.  As with many of the successor chapters, the Black Legion maintain the title of Justaerin for their first company.

jgqEw3U.jpg

Y1Jcz9t.jpg

qBvI8mL.jpg

The True Sons are a crusading chapter with four full companies of Assault squads and many dreadnoughts configured into dedicated close combat configuration.  Each company within the True Sons elect Champions who fight with ancestral blades for the honour of their fellows.  Their chapter fortress-monastary is a vast spaceborn craft named for Horus’ ancient flagship, the Vengeful Spirit.

A6pTv1h.jpg

I6xJ64m.jpg

Against all expectation, Iacton Qruze, veteran of the Unification Wars, survived the Great Crusade and the Heresy to become the founding Chapter Master of the successor chapter who reclaimed their historic colours and heraldry.  Though the Sons of Horus claim continuity to the Legion of old, the Wolves hew closer than any to their bloodline’s legacy and history, and are widely viewed as the most proud and loyal of all the children of Horus.

h8iKSXs.jpg

RNkJLdX.jpg

Experts in air mobility and covert action, the Spearpoint chapter are a highly skilled ship-based chapter.  When the Cicatrix Maledictum fell upon the Imperium, much of the chapter was campaigning near the Ghoul Stars region. Their fate remains unknown.

PqSSZOx.jpg

YI6rFuf.jpg

z6BFKzr.jpg

The Catulan Reavers are a fast-moving and aggressive chapter who have a reputation for being headstrong, to the point of acting rashly.  Unusually, the Reavers have no Terminators and few Dreadnoughts.  Reaver companies are heavy with assault and Phobos-armoured units.
Edited by Bazza

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of stuff off the painting table this week.

First up, I got the new Marine codex, and decided to change how I was building out my firstborn chapter.  I used to run them as Space Wolves, back in the day, but the modern Wolves are really different and use a lot of stuff I don't need, so I gave it some thought and decided to focus on their key qualities of flamers, meltaguns and being bros.  Running them as Salamanders requires a few changes, though, so that's underway.  First up was putting a shield on the big man.

AJ9zCeP.jpg

For the Sons of Horus, now that it's confirmed Assault Intercessor sgts can have better weapons than chainswords, mine needed one.

ygIUHQP.jpg

Also finished up more regular Intercessors.

ORwHuwh.jpg

BwTFD7v.jpg

4e0KPmJ.jpg

9km08V0.jpg

Finally, got this absolute unit done.  

1pxw96D.jpg

vVXF2rA.jpg

uuQWPCr.jpg

After the breaking of the Siege of Terra, the traitor legions withdrew in disorder, none more so than the Dark Angels, broken by the fall of their Warmaster at the hands of the Emperor. The sons of the fallen Lion, disheartened and disarrayed, swore terrible oaths of vengeance as they cut a bloody course to the Eye of Terror.  Over years the Dark Angels collapsed into bitter infighting and bled their ranks thin, until Farith Redloss, once a noble hero of the Hexagrammaton, began to unite them again under the name of the White Legion.  Discarding their colours and heraldry they embarked upon the first of his many Dark Crusades, carving a bloody path into the Imperium they had betrayed so long before.

3RHPHwc.jpg

I promised myself I wouldn't do a white army ...

• 1 month later...

Fine works, overall. Why does the Daemon Prince have a jump pack in place of wings? Was he interred in a Dreadnought sarcophagus before his apotheosis, as the Dreadnought close combat weapon replacing his left hand suggests?

I always felt that the form someone took in daemonhood came partially from the god and partially from the self conception of the individual.  Khorne has marked him with the red skin and bestial appearance but he bears the trappings of his self image as an Astartes, and that shapes what he became. 

The dreadnought arm is different though; he lost his and took a replacement on the field of battle, letting his daemonic nature bind it together.  

• 1 month later...

Few more things completed.  First up: my son, who is 8, finished his Necron army.  He's super excited to have everything done and wanted to share.  I think he did a fantastic job.

KtbSkzW.jpg

bCTxHYg.jpg

PWCpdm6.jpg

Also finished up these chonky bois:

EcButoE.jpg

And some more stuff for the White Legion:

bmkcTNi.jpg

j4zTY3J.jpg

NAA4Zik.jpg

dFLL4VW.jpg

Fine works. I notice the White Legion Terminators have Chaos Terminator helmets and trophy racks indicate, but lack the eight-point Chaos Star or Chaos Gods' symbols. Is it sworn to Chaos? Or is it loyal to the Emperor, serving His Immortal Majesty by terrorizing those whose loyalty is insufficient?

Fine works. I notice the White Legion Terminators have Chaos Terminator helmets and trophy racks indicate, but lack the eight-point Chaos Star or Chaos Gods' symbols. Is it sworn to Chaos? Or is it loyal to the Emperor, serving His Immortal Majesty by terrorizing those whose loyalty is insufficient?

They're a Chaos faction.  They're a part of the same alt-Heresy as my primaris Sons of Horus; in this heresy the Lion was the arch heretic and the White Legion is what remains of the Dark Angels.  Their sword-and-arrows symbol is an evolution of the Dark Angels symbol in the same way that the Sons of Horus symbol evolved into the eye-and-8-stars.  

One of these days I'm going to write up the background of the various Legions in this alt timeline.  I have notes, just need to pull it all together.  It's not as clean a flip as the Dornian heresy - some loyalist Legions stayed that way in this heresy, and some traitors are just always going to be traitors.  

I like the imagination you demonstrate. Did Horus remain loyal in your AU, or did he join the Lion? If the latter, for what reason?

Horus stayed loyal.  In the canon heresy, the Alpha Legion offered support to the Dark Angels during the Rangdan Xenocide and were rebuffed.  In this one they helped regardless, as the Alpha Legion tend to do, so the Dark Angels remained the largest Legion and had the most success, and the Lion became Warmaster.  He was then the target of Lorgar and was turned.  

Horus's closest allies in the Great Crusade were Mortarion, Sanguinius, Fulgrim and Dorn, so in this heresy all four stayed with Horus to oppose the Lion.  Vulkan is the other (canon loyalist) primarch who stayed loyal because Vulkan is a bro in any timeline.  I can't see Lorgar, Angron or Perturabo being loyal in any scenario so they stay traitor.  The rest evenly flip.

Some things stayed consistent with the canon heresy, but some differ.  After the Lion arranged an Isstvan massacre, Angron went down to personally kill the World Eaters who were not slain by the virus bombs, but in this timeline the Lion destroyed the planet with Angron on it, instead of holding off as Horus would have.  This would work out better for the Lion as it would scatter the World Eaters to raise havoc and confuse the loyalist primarchs about what was actually happening, I think.

Cultists!  I'm really happy with these, because this is the kind of unit that I would traditionally put off painting up and never actually finish.  For my more recent armies I've really tried to focus on having a set of colours and techniques that I can standardize on to give both a consistent look and a better velocity.  I did most of this unit in parallel and I don't think I've ever done a squad of this size so fast.

The cultists are Necromunda Escher gangers and the unit leader is a Cryx model from Warmachine (with some conversion work).  I'll be running them as autogun cultists (they don't all have autoguns but close enough).

XmeaDA6.jpg

xpcCrOC.jpg

xZf6RsW.jpg

zbYLNUD.jpg

OsuiXFU.jpg

kpwcS7f.jpg