IG Infantry (1500pts)

TheShredder

Since guardsmen are still relatively cheap, I thought it might be worth giving infantry-IG a go:

Tallarn Brigade
Company Commander w/ Bolter, Power Fist
Company Commander w/ Bolt Pistol, Power Sword
Company Commander
Primaris Psyker w/ Psychic Maelstrom, Psychic Barrier, Death Mask of Ollanius (Warlord: Grand Strategist)
Infantry Squad w/ plasmagun, missile launcher
​Infantry Squad w/ plasmagun, missile launcher
​Infantry Squad w/ plasmagun, missile launcher 
​Infantry Squad w/ plasmagun
​Infantry Squad w/ flamer
Astropath
Command Squad w/ mortar
Command Squad w/ mortar
Armoured Sentinel w/ plasma cannon
HWS w/ autocannon
HWS w/ autocannon
HWS w/ autocannon

Iotan Dragons Battalion
Tempestor Prime w/ Power Fist, Plasma Pistol, Emperor's Fury, (Progeny of Conflict: Voice of Command)
Tempestor Prime
MT Scions w/ 2x plasmagun, plasma pistol
MT Command Squad w/ 4x plasmagun

~1500pts (7CPs atm)

The idea is that the entire MT Battalion will go into reserve, and the Brigade will deploy as 3 units (each with a company commander, a flamer infantry squad, a plasmagun infantry squad, a missile launcher infantry squad, and a HWS), with the rest going wherever. I'm not sure about the command squads, tbh. I was really looking for something cheap to fill out points, as 3 Astropaths seemed like easy points for an opponent using Abhor the Witch.

Anyway, the HWSs and missile squads will hang back and shoot (unless shooting at a unit with -1 to hit, in which case they'll take the opportunity to reposition themselves). The other infantry will advance, with the flamer squads screening the plasmagunners. The MT squads will drop in to provide concentrated fire on targets and potentially score linebreaker or control all quarters as well.

One of the key themes is that everything is expendable. There is no individual unit that is crucial to my army. However, as I think some of you have said, I might also struggle to bring significant firepower to bear on key targets. Holding the centre might also be tricky, though I'm hoping I can win a war of attrition (so if I can also keep my opponent from holding the middle, I can eventually get something to stick there).

I should note that I'm open to alternative regiments for both detachments. I was considering Catachan instead of Tallarn for the Brigade, and perhaps LL instead of ID for the MT Battalion.

Any thoughts?

Hey again TheShredder,

Just a thought; I think killing things in close combat should be secondary to being more survivable. Having said that maybe go Vallahan, more infantry squads and a LC? Or if you prefer cc potential drop some upgrades and get a priest with Catachans. Cool list either way! Love me some tasty foot guard!

Cheers,

~MinoanFresco

I like where you're going with this, but there's really only 2 regiments that work well with foot guard and 3 if you count custom regiments. Catachan are the obvious best for the S4 melee. The other is one people will roll their eyes if you mention. Cadia is excellent for foot guard. The cadian warlord trait is great on them and your stationary units can be ordered to reroll all failed hits. Creed is an excellent option too, as he is an orders machine, but giving a company commander STT and the laurels of command can be extremely powerful. Laurels of command can stack with superior tactical training. You can theoretically have a single company commander give 6 units orders. You give one unit an order have STT pass that order to another unit, then use laurels on the first unit, then have STT apply that order to a 3rd unit. Then order a 4th unit use STT to order a 5th unit then use laurels again and have STT and give that order to a 6th unit. It you'll probably only get 4 units orders, but it's possible to get 6 units from one company commander. Not bad for a 35 model. Edited by HallofStovokor

I like where you're going with this, but there's really only 2 regiments that work well with foot guard and 3 if you count custom regiments. Catachan are the obvious best for the S4 melee. The other is one people will roll their eyes if you mention. Cadia is excellent for foot guard. The cadian warlord trait is great on them and your stationary units can be ordered to reroll all failed hits. Creed is an excellent option too, as he is an orders machine, but giving a company commander STT and the laurels of command can be extremely powerful. Laurels of command can stack with superior tactical training. You can theoretically have a single company commander give 6 units orders. You give one unit an order have STT pass that order to another unit, then use laurels on the first unit, then have STT apply that order to a 3rd unit. Then order a 4th unit use STT to order a 5th unit then use laurels again and have STT and give that order to a 6th unit. It you'll probably only get 4 units orders, but it's possible to get 6 units from one company commander. Not bad for a 35 model.

Hey again TheShredder,

Just a thought; I think killing things in close combat should be secondary to being more survivable. Having said that maybe go Vallahan, more infantry squads and a LC? Or if you prefer cc potential drop some upgrades and get a priest with Catachans. Cool list either way! Love me some tasty foot guard!

Cheers,

~MinoanFresco

Thank you for the replies and the suggestions, guys. 

In terms of regiments, I'm not a fan of Cadians (I think IG are already gunline-y enough without a regimental trait that rewards you for it :wink: ), however, I'm more than happy to run my army as Catachans instead. I could also swap out the Command Squads for a couple of priests, which would give my troops some extra attacks and also free up a few points.

I'll also reconsider my Warlord Traits and Artefacts, with regard to having STT and/or Laurels of Command. As it stands, I'd picked my traits quite hastily, as I've yet to decide whether I want to try and run this list as ordinary IG or as my Hydra guard (there's certainly enough plasma for the latter, though I'd have to mess around with a lot of the commander wargear).

Anyway, I appreciate your input. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I´d say you should...

...give all your sergeants a plasma pistol.

...give hunter killer missles to your Sentinels.

...try to include an Assassine of some kind.

I´m not a big fan of plasma guns, it´s way to mainstreamy for me. Instead I´d go with a bunch of grenade launchers in every other troop.

Edited by Hannibal

I´d say you should...

I´m not a big fan of plasma guns, it´s way to mainstreamy for me. Instead I´d go with a bunch of grenade launchers in every other troop.

I actually used to give every infantry squad a Grenade Launcher, but they cost the same as a plasma gun or a Meltagun. They're not bad at 3 points like they were in 8th, but when you can freely swap between plasma and Grenade Launchers for the same points, Grenade Launchers are just over costed.

• 2 weeks later...

I´d say you should...

I mean, I was happy to use Grenade Launchers back in mid-late 8th when they were fairly costed. Now they're just crap Plasmaguns with no difference in cost. Plasma Pistols on sergeants is fair, though. I'll try to find the points to at least outfit the 6 advancing squads with them. Same goes for HK missiles.

I wouldn't mind including an Assassin but I don't think there's anywhere I can reasonably shave off the points to do so. My list is already pretty bare-bones as it is. :tongue.: 

Still, I appreciate the input. If I scale this list up towards 2000pts, I'll definitely add in an Assassin.

Out of interest, did you have a specific Assassin in mind? (I know you can technically add in whichever via the stratagem, but I don't own the models atm so I'd need to buy/convert one in advance).

Out of interest, did you have a specific Assassin in mind? (I know you can technically add in whichever via the stratagem, but I don't own the models atm so I'd need to buy/convert one in advance).

I´d run the Eversor if there is no special reason to run the other ones. IMO the Eversor seems to be the best allrounder of the lot.

I was never impressed by the sniper one whenever I faced it on the other side of the table. But you can go quite sniper heavy in Astra Militarum (command squads with sniper rifles, Rein and Raus, Ratlings) meaning that the sniper Assassine could be a good choice.

• 5 weeks later...

refelctions:

Tallarn and special weapons is great combo.

I'd drop missile launchers - melta gun at 12" has same damage profile and you can move and shoot - and Tallarn gives you D6 extra range (from advance)

I'd drop flamers - lasguns can do light infantry work, you have them already. - put plasma/melta in those squads. 

Consider Special weapon teams/command squads to bring in even more special weapons - you can reserve 3 of each for 1 CP as so cheap. Keeps them alive to turn 2.

I'm giving infantry list a go too.