Jolemai

Welcome to part five of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Relic Deredeo Dreadnought
sml_gallery_62972_11847_33231.jpg
Relic Deredeo Dreadnought, Charlo

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Deredeo (found in Imperial Armour - Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astertes)?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units? Delivery method?
  • What weapon options are you taking?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?
  • Over to you.

I absolutely loved this thing in 8th. The pavise in a blob of hellblasters with the standard and a captain was frankly nasty. Now - with him moving to heavy support and his HUGE increase in points I haven’t figured out a way to play him. I think pairing him with a couple gladiators with his pavise might be the way to go though - giving them invulns while still dishing out solid damage is clutch.

TLDR - is never the mvp but puts out really solid damage and an invaluable buff but you pay for it.

Now that he can move and fire with full effect, marching him up the board granting his 5++ bubble to more aggressive units looks promising. Repulsors, Aggressors and Redemptors all look like they would particularly benefit from the 5++ given they currently have plenty of wounds and decent toughness but mediocre saves.

Get them onto an Objective and force your opponent to come to you as digging them out will not be easy. Pop WOTA for extra dakka. Profit!

Now that he can move and fire with full effect, marching him up the board granting his 5++ bubble to more aggressive units looks promising. Repulsors, Aggressors and Redemptors all look like they would particularly benefit from the 5++ given they currently have plenty of wounds and decent toughness but mediocre saves.

Get them onto an Objective and force your opponent to come to you as digging them out will not be easy. Pop WOTA for extra dakka. Profit!

That is a solid strat!

I always find the 5++ a little weird though, as ap-3 shooting isn't SUPER prevalent. 

I guess it depends on your meta somewhat. The prevalence of Invulnerable saves in general seems to have pushed people towards mid-AP high ROF weapons.

Then again, 2W Marines all round may see a resurgence of Plasma in which case the 5++ will be handy. It is very early days for 9th so a lot depends on how the meta shakes out.

Previous edition I had visions of the Deredeo (prvaise) marching alongside three Predators (for Killshot) with a Captain and a Techmarine in tow. I do wonder if this sort of thing is still viable? Maybe with some other Dreadnoughts or two Landraiders instead?

I always find the 5++ a little weird though, as ap-3 shooting isn't SUPER prevalent. 

The usual marine and tank killing stuff, lascannons, plasma, fire prisms, etc. 

I have one ready to be assembled - I got the autocannons but am kind of wishing I got the hellfire plasma, they seem to be better all round.