Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Space Marines - leaks and datasheets (updated)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1043 replies to this topic

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 223 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

The only thing i would like to know is on what basse are now scouts, 25mm, 28mm, 32mm?

Personally I would put them on 28.5mm they’re supposed to be astartes without power armour so they’re bigger the guard equivalent and it would look better. Although I am a casual gamer

crazyterran

crazyterran

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 700 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

Only DA Company Vets can take combat shields. Everyone else only gets the option for Storm Shields.

As for weapons, I would recommend lightning claws if you can. With +1 attack per claw, they outperform all other D1 weapons against all targets.

Also, Vanguard Vets have the same melee weapon options and costs, but are 1 point less per model. Company Vets have the bodyguard rule, the take up no slot shenanigans, the ability to go under 5 man, and access to better guns. If you want a 5+ man squad, aren't worried about snipers for nearby characters, have enough slots, and are going melee only, Vanguard are the better choice.

It's a matter of WYSIWYG. I need the Combat Shields for the models to be usable.

I don’t think anyone is going to raise a fuss about your big shield artificer clad marines having a storm shield over a combat shield. Especially since the shields are as big as the ones blade guards use!

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 223 posts

Only DA Company Vets can take combat shields. Everyone else only gets the option for Storm Shields.

As for weapons, I would recommend lightning claws if you can. With +1 attack per claw, they outperform all other D1 weapons against all targets.

Also, Vanguard Vets have the same melee weapon options and costs, but are 1 point less per model. Company Vets have the bodyguard rule, the take up no slot shenanigans, the ability to go under 5 man, and access to better guns. If you want a 5+ man squad, aren't worried about snipers for nearby characters, have enough slots, and are going melee only, Vanguard are the better choice.

It's a matter of WYSIWYG. I need the Combat Shields for the models to be usable.
I don’t think anyone is going to raise a fuss about your big shield artificer clad marines having a storm shield over a combat shield. Especially since the shields are as big as the ones blade guards use!

Agree with this 100%! don’t worry dude a shields a shield, only “That guy” would have an issue

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,999 posts
Even "that guy" wouldn't have a leg to stand on since WYSIWYG isn't even a thing anymore in the rules. If a unit only has the option of taking one type of shield then any shield carried by a model is automatically the correct type. msn-wink.gif
  • Noserenda, XeonDragon and BladeOfVengeance like this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,833 posts
I'll be using a Lt with shield rules but model wise it will be Iron halo and a fancy armour ;)

Edited by Sete, 07 October 2020 - 05:08 PM.

• Karhedron likes this

Kyoujin

Kyoujin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 168 posts

Even "that guy" wouldn't have a leg to stand on since WYSIWYG isn't even a thing anymore in the rules. If a unit only has the option of taking one type of shield then any shield carried by a model is automatically the correct type. msn-wink.gif

I don't want to be "that guy" but tournament rules packages will probably include WYSIWYG.  I don't do tournaments but that guy might.

Rik Lightstar

Rik Lightstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,254 posts
  • Faction: Astral Claws, Mantis Warriors

I don't want to be "that guy" but tournament rules packages will probably include WYSIWYG. I don't do tournaments but that guy might.

So if there's only ONE shield option for the unit (and actually the army if there's no combat shields) then how is it not WYSIWYG?

Are they armed with shields? Yes
Are there multiple shield options? No
Does that mean they MUST be Storm Shields? Yes

If you ran Assault Terminators with Thunder Hammers and the shields from AoS Stormcast nobody would suggest you had to use different shield rules for them.

Rik
  • Volt and Brother Adelard like this

The Codex Astartes: Taking Away The Freedom Of The Astartes To Pigeonhole Themselves, 
And Restricting Them To Supreme Flexibility Since M31

phoenix01

phoenix01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 247 posts

My company champion has a "tilting" shield at his shoulder pad which is his "combat" shield. He also has a bolt pistol and power sword, hence he is WYSIWYG as far as I'm concerned.

• Karhedron likes this

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,651 posts
It's more and issue the Invtarus Suzerains have Bolt Pistols. If armed with axes and Storm Shields, they can't have bolt Pistols. Some folk get the hump and GW themselves have mentioned it in the past as a problem at their events for WYSIWYG.

Edited by Captain Idaho, 07 October 2020 - 08:22 PM.

I've started up a new YouTube channel! Please support me as I attempt to grow it.

Serious Geeks

Toxichobbit

Toxichobbit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,041 posts

Did anyone see the Company Veterans datasheet?

Been thinking of using Invictarus Suzerain Squad as Company Veterans, with Power Axes, Combat shields and Bolt Pistols etc. I believe I can take those weapons but who knows eh?

I'm concidering legion breachers for those.

That's how my Company Vets are built.

It's more and issue the Invtarus Suzerains have Bolt Pistols. If armed with axes and Storm Shields, they can't have bolt Pistols. Some folk get the hump and GW themselves have mentioned it in the past as a problem at their events for WYSIWYG.

I did mine using the Praetorian Breacher Shields, although they are built for ranged combat as they're the only place you can combine decent guns and storm shields. The shields might not work as well for a melee build due to the firing port.

I also have a spare Invictarus Suzerain shield lying around that I might use for a Company Champion at some point, though I was always concerned that it looked too big to be a combat shield.

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 223 posts

My company champion has a "tilting" shield at his shoulder pad which is his "combat" shield. He also has a bolt pistol and power sword, hence he is WYSIWYG as far as I'm concerned.

Great idea sir! ... I may be stealing that

Edited by BladeOfVengeance, 08 October 2020 - 10:34 AM.

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,755 posts

Great idea sir! ... I may be stealing that

In Necromunda one of the shields' description includes exactly that idea - a shoulder mount rather than a buckler- or heavier handheld-style shield.
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

BladeOfVengeance

BladeOfVengeance

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 223 posts
I guess this also all boils down to the fact that there’s no set design for anything in the game, and the modelling team wants you to have free space for conversions and so on

Is that power sword a relic blade? is it a MC power sword? Or is it just a power sword? The answer all of them or either of them, it’s up to you

Is that shield a relic shield? a combat shield ? a storm shield ? A breacher? again it’s really up to you

as long it’s on the data sheet and modelled to be the base line version of what it’s supposed to be like that sword is a sword, I really could never see there being a issue :)
  • Juggernut, Gederas and Petitioner's City like this

temneb

temneb

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 201 posts

The Hammers are still better overall due to the sheer number of 3 Wound infantry available now, such as the Aggressors and Terminators.

You'll need a way to reliably punch past them, and the extra AP doesn't come into play as often as you think. Anything with a 4++ or 5++ for example.

I’m not sure I agree with you. Terminators would be saving those hammer wounds on 3+ (1+ base, -2 ap) the power fist gets through to the invuln.

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,660 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Thats nothing a holstered pistol can't fix to represent it has one. 

• Brother Adelard and War of the Eagle like this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Medicinal Carrots

Medicinal Carrots

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 195 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders

The Hammers are still better overall due to the sheer number of 3 Wound infantry available now, such as the Aggressors and Terminators.

You'll need a way to reliably punch past them, and the extra AP doesn't come into play as often as you think. Anything with a 4++ or 5++ for example.

I’m not sure I agree with you. Terminators would be saving those hammer wounds on 3+ (1+ base, -2 ap) the power fist gets through to the invuln.

On average, it takes 7.2 WS 3+ thunder weapon attacks or 9.6 power fist attacks to kill a Terminator. Having to wound only once instead of twice more than makes up for the better AP.

War of the Eagle

War of the Eagle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 67 posts

Thats nothing a holstered pistol can't fix to represent it has one.

100% this. Its exactly what blade gaurd do. And most units with bolt guns.

Schlitzaf

Schlitzaf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,918 posts
  • Faction: Black Templar: Dalthus Crusade
Thwy should just open up combat shields to every chapter tbf
PEbafT7.png?1http://www.bolterand...althus-crusade/
Wish List:
BT Crusader Biker- http://www.bolterand...igensian-squad/
BT Primaris Crusaders - (WIP)
"Proper Tool for the Proper Job"

battle captain corpus

battle captain corpus

++ CENTURIO COHORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,722 posts
  • Faction: Genesis Chapter 4th Co. M37
....Grips Crozius......

The time has come Brothers. The mighty Codex is now in the wild and as such.....

-WHAM-

-][- THIS TOPIC IS NOW CLOSED -][-

Enjoy the book brothers!

BCC
  • Son of Carnelian likes this
BCC's Hobby Guide:
- Be Grim Dark not Grim Derp
- Hobby for 15 minutes a day
- Your miniatures are always the best painted in the room
- Game with your heart and don't care about losing
- Make sure your opponent is having fun 

2 user(s) are reading this topic